Quantcast
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx - Page 38 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx
Old 28th May 2021 | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you're using it wrong then, you should only use it at 94,5khz on full moon - then it sounds great and doesn't alias or truncate
Old 29th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx ➡️
you're using it wrong then, you should only use it at 94,5khz on full moon - then it sounds great and doesn't alias or truncate
Useful.
My point was that the discrepancy in the high end looks likely to be cramping close to nyquist.
Old 29th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssamson ➡️
Useful.
My point was that the discrepancy in the high end looks likely to be cramping close to nyquist.
Possible, maybe someone could check it with higher sample rates? I mean it shouldn't work only in some best case scenario, but it's not the best coded plugin anyway
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
Possible, maybe someone could check it with higher sample rates? I mean it shouldn't work only in some best case scenario, but it's not the best coded plugin anyway
SPL Iron has been a bit disappointing; it makes me question the coding in other SPL plug-ins, like their Transient Designer.

I can’t help but feeling that I get better results in Auburn Sounds Couture. SPL TD always feels a little soggy and mushy to me compared to the hardware, but I’ve never been able to do an A/B side-by-side.

But when you code kind of messy like with Iron, it does undermine confidence in their other plug-ins.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
SPL Iron has been a bit disappointing; it makes me question the coding in other SPL plug-ins, like their Transient Designer.

I can’t help but feeling that I get better results in Auburn Sounds Couture. SPL TD always feels a little soggy and mushy to me compared to the hardware, but I’ve never been able to do an A/B side-by-side.

But when you code kind of messy like with Iron, it does undermine confidence in their other plug-ins.
Exactly my feelings, I started to question all of Brainworx plugins. Do you know if they coded SPL TwinTube? I have a hardware one here and it's obviously better sounding even for a such simple unit.

-
yup, it's a brainworx
Old 31st May 2021
Lives for gear
Some new tests in 96kHz, added SPL TwinTube as well as I have it and it's coded by the same company, the differences with two units are sometimes extreme. Jagged line is HW in every instance
Attached Thumbnails
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.44.40.jpg   SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.43.06.jpg   SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.39.33.jpg   SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.39.09.jpg   SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.36.13.jpg  

SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-11.35.05.jpg  
Old 31st May 2021
Lives for gear
Here's a short drum groove, used the same settings but threshold was way off, so on software it's on max and hardware on minimum, then they compressed the same amount. SW is somewhat murky, lacks transients and punch
Attached Thumbnails
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx-screen-shot-2021-05-31-12.53.08.jpg  
Attached Files

DR HW.wav (5.06 MB, 1538 views)

DR SW.wav (3.38 MB, 1529 views)

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Some new tests in 96kHz, added SPL TwinTube as well as I have it and it's coded by the same company, the differences with two units are sometimes extreme. Jagged line is HW in every instance
Thks for the time , the diff i see at least on eq curves isn't crazy , i even wonder if two units wouldn't have the same delta 's ... any way i will trust your hears , for this type of processing i'm more bothered about the timing and transient handling (spl iron) as well as the distortion , eq curve can be fixed pretty easiliy , the others not so

How do you find the compression witb the plugin this was what really interested me , it was great and versatyle , in fact the plugin made me really interested in the HW for real so i've found the design brilliant !! (i guess your know and agree on that lol)
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I couldn’t hear any obvious difference myself even though there seems to be a level difference between the two. On the graphs there is a small difference of about a dB at 20k but they look close at 10k, unless you’re making HD Audio it doesn’t bother me.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy ➡️
I couldn’t hear any obvious difference myself even though there seems to be a level difference between the two. On the graphs there is a small difference of about a dB at 20k but they look close at 10k, unless you’re making HD Audio it doesn’t bother me.
The files have exactly the same LUFS value to the tenth of the decibel. HW is more saturated and a bit brighter so it can seem louder. Look for the snap in the snare hits and the difference will be more apparent, even the begining of the file, first hit on the snare seems almost limited in the SW version.

Last edited by cyjanopan; 31st May 2021 at 03:36 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here's a short drum groove, used the same settings but threshold was way off, so on software it's on max and hardware on minimum, then they compressed the same amount. SW is somewhat murky, lacks transients and punch
I don't understand.
I hear the exact opposite : the hardware version sounds much more saturated and crushed to my ears.
The software much more punchy.
To me, it seems the two versions don't share at all the same parameters - maybe the threshold should stay the same if you want to compare...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
I don't understand.
I hear the exact opposite : the hardware version sounds much more saturated and crushed to my ears.
The software much more punchy.
To me, it seems the two versions don't share at all the same parameters - maybe the threshold should stay the same if you want to compare...
It is more saturated, to me it's not less punchy, there's no way to use the same threshold, they are calibrated completely differently
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It is more saturated, to me it's not less punchy, there's no way to use the same threshold, they are calibrated completely differently
Maybe you should try to match the results by feeding both units (sw and hw) with different levels. Because the different threshold settings are obviously changing the action of the compressor.
It could be interesting to check what's the difference between sw and hw in terms of calibration.

I'm quite surprised to find a lot of plugins calibrated to run smoothly at -14dbfs, while the usual calibration level of hardware is vu level (-18dbfs).
Maybe because Iron is supposed to be a mastering compressor, there is a kind of higher calibration level for the hardware - I don't know much about hardware hi-end stuff...

EDIT : by the way, I don't get exactly the meaning of the VU/VU+10 option in the VU switch. Is the compressor supposed to get some -8dbfs levels ? I found very often that Iron (software) needs some high level source to work smoothly so it may be the case, but maybe someone here has some technical insight about that...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy ➡️
... and this just shows yet again how differently people perceive audio. To me the difference in these two files is very distinct and immediately obvious.

I can't say which one I prefer as that would completely depend on the mixing situation but these two files posted are definitely completely different sounding, both in tonality and overall compression action itself.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
... and this just shows yet again how differently people perceive audio. To me the difference in these two files is very distinct and immediately obvious.

I can't say which one I prefer as that would completely depend on the mixing situation but these two files posted are definitely completely different sounding, both in tonality and overall compression action itself.
Exactly, keep in mind that the SW version is the one I started with, so it sits better in the mix and probably makes more sense with those drums. Today I started to mix some different songs which was the first time with the unit on the mix bus with the AirBass EQ on, it's pretty radical sounding so turning it on on a finished mix is too extreme, but mixing into it from the get go makes a lot of sense, especially with a little bland tracks
Old 31st May 2021
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I prefer HW by a mile, SW sounds very flabby on lows and it makes the snare wires sound wierd
Old 1st June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Definitely when listening to the track completely soloed like it is, I also prefer the HW version a lot more. However, as I said above, this is entirely mix context related. It is very possible that the SW version of these drums would poke through the track better.

That's the weird thing about mixing, it's all context relative. I've made some snares and kicks that sound utterly horrible when soloed but yet they work perfectly within the mix itself.
Old 1st June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's extremely subtle, I think I hear a little more harmonic action in the SW in the kick. The image in the HW is a bit better, like it's more stable.

Pretty good endorsement for the plugin, tbh. There's no practical way a client would ever know the difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
I've been using IRON for over a year and I don't hear any detectable aliasing, nor any phantom center issues or TMT issues.

None. Zero.

That's all that matters to me.

It's a fantastic piece of hardware kit used my top mastering engineers and the plugin is also amazing.
Don't bother wasting your keyboard life on this crowd. They're too busy debating how many angels can fit in the nyquist region to make music.
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT ➡️
That's extremely subtle, I think I hear a little more harmonic action in the SW in the kick. The image in the HW is a bit better, like it's more stable.

Pretty good endorsement for the plugin, tbh. There's no practical way a client would ever know the difference.
i don't think it is a good endorsement.
it's not identical - it's not even that similar.
i bet you could get "close enough" for clients with any powerhouse compressor (i.e. presswerk, unisum) that has an added bonus of doing a lot more than this.
all that while not aliasing or truncating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT ➡️
Don't bother wasting your keyboard life on this crowd. They're too busy debating how many angels can fit in the nyquist region to make music.
there's really no excuse to have no implementation of optional anti-aliasing in a MASTERING processor for 349$ that produces harmonics in 2021. Really.
You might not hear aliasing or it doesn't bother you, but that doesn't invalidate it.
If it were year 2000 and we were comparing it to early waves, i might have agreed with you
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To my ears, the comparison between hw and sw is impossible with this exemple : it sounds like very different settings.

Could it be possible to set both units to sound the same instead of just using similar settings ?
Obviously, the calibration is different (the setting of the threshold is opposite in both exemples), so it could be more interesting to find an input level that sound the most similar with identical settings, and then barely the settings to find a similar output.

And then, upload the loops with no mention of the source, so we give some opinion based on a blind test
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
To my ears, the comparison between hw and sw is impossible with this exemple : it sounds like very different settings.

Could it be possible to set both units to sound the same instead of just using similar settings ?
Obviously, the calibration is different (the setting of the threshold is opposite in both exemples), so it could be more interesting to find an input level that sound the most similar with identical settings, and then barely the settings to find a similar output.

And then, upload the loops with no mention of the source, so we give some opinion based on a blind test
I don't think have that much motivation to do it, some people will say it's exactly the same, some will like HW more, some SW and in the end someone will say the settings are so different and they sound NOTHING alike that you can't compare them
Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't think have that much motivation to do it, some people will say it's exactly the same, some will like HW more, some SW and in the end someone will say the settings are so different and they sound NOTHING alike that you can't compare them
Ah ah... You're the guy with the hardware, so of course you do what you want... Anyway, please keep us in touch with what you learn when using both sw and hw on a daily basis... Not that I'm interested in buying hardware (I should better buy a new car, mine is falling into pieces), but it's always interesting to have more infos on the original when you're using the digital copy...
Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ah ah... You're the guy with the hardware, so of course you do what you want... Anyway, please keep us in touch with what you learn when using both sw and hw on a daily basis... Not that I'm interested in buying hardware (I should better buy a new car, mine is falling into pieces), but it's always interesting to have more infos on the original when you're using the digital copy...
As I said, everyone is welcome to send me some files and settings, I can put it through the unit and post it here, I can use the same settings regarding threshold if you want
Old 3rd June 2021
Gear Addict

since reimund dratwa departure plugin alliance has been making a lot of bad stuff lately he was the lead programmer for plugin alliance and was the one who coded the highest quality plugin for brainworx now he's a founder of neold at plugin alliance and has is own plugin website fuse audio labs i miss his presence with brainworx plugins.
Old 4th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I bought Iron long ago. At first I loved it. it wasn’t until I took it off my master buss and compared it to other buss compressors that I noticed there was some sort of subtle degradation in the sound I just could not explain. My logic projects are all 44Khz because my computer struggles with higher rates.

I hope PA fixes the aliasing and truncation but I doubt it, their biz model offering 3rd party plugins like this makes these kind of fixes complicated. I love many of their products but I dislike their FB echo-chamber and the lack of transparency ( to put it mildly) regarding customer feedback. I have many of their plugins, I wrote several reviews in a row and only the positive reviews got published. The not so good reviews simply vanished.
Old 5th June 2021 | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendrix ➡️
I bought Iron long ago. At first I loved it. it wasn’t until I took it off my master buss and compared it to other buss compressors that I noticed there was some sort of subtle degradation in the sound I just could not explain. My logic projects are all 44Khz because my computer struggles with higher rates.

I hope PA fixes the aliasing and truncation but I doubt it, their biz model offering 3rd party plugins like this makes these kind of fixes complicated. I love many of their products but I dislike their FB echo-chamber and the lack of transparency ( to put it mildly) regarding customer feedback. I have many of their plugins, I wrote several reviews in a row and only the positive reviews got published. The not so good reviews simply vanished.
It’s a POSITIVE group. Bizarre.
Anyway, SPL IRON is not third party its by brainworx - so original company from which PA was made
📝 Reply