The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL IRON mastering compressor by Brainworx
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay ➡️
Just popped it on the mixbus of a track Im working on and love what it is doing, beating out Acustica El Rey. Hanging with Acustica Water.
Heresy! You must recant immediately or be forever banned from Acustica threads

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➡️
Heresy you say?! Banned forever?! Alas take heed brethren, lest the great plug-in poet Asher of the Bay reach for his quill and ye shall be smitten forever!!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete ➡️
oh $hit!
just got El Rey and Mantis, have Coral, Magenta4, Water, L-Bus, Cobalt, Novatron, Aquamarine3, Ultramarine, Arouser, Townhouse, Opticom, Punish, Alphacomp, Sand, VBC, BX_Opto, BX_Masterdesk, Waves SSL and Api2500....er i’m running out of personal RAM! I don’t fekking need another bus comp....I don’t fekking need another bus comp....I don’t fekking need another bus comp....I don’t fekking need another bus comp....I don’t fekking need another bus comp..............
Lol time for a diet or purge my friend !!

Seriously all the above are xellent ,but i found they work in certain scenarios better than others , but for real the spl is really MY type of all arounder for exemple , El rey witch i found exellent isn't something that will work on everthing specially stuff i'm working on now , and the CPU hit witch is marginale , and smooth operation add to the equation !!

SSL Glue ? he can do it
Caracter compression ? he can do it !!
Color ? i'm surpirsed by how well he can do it
Transaparent efficient control ? he can also !! (M/S L/R , sidechain ect .)

If you watch my video , you will see that i'm compensating the 2db step incrementation (wtch is also annoyng me) by the the amount of compression itself via Bias / headroom /threshold and match perfectly so the compression is great ( will never do that wth another) !!
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This sounds great!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins ➡️
Are you driving it too hot?
I tried low input level and high ones. It's on the high ones with pushed input that you get this ugly fuzzy tones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
I tried low input level and high ones. It's on the high ones with pushed input that you get this ugly fuzzy tones.
There’s no oversampling...just like the hardware...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep was talking with Bose about this comp , and basically this is not to be drived , just said to him this is not one that i will use for parallel smash lie a lot of people lke to do around , for that , aorusor rules (not only for that by the way) !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➡️
There’s no oversampling...just like the hardware...
I trust you on this, you're the expert of that domain .

But I wasn't talking about aliasing, but about the tone. You can hear that fuzzy sound on the PA video on the bass track. When they are running it quite hot.
Just saying that I didn't liked it.
If the hardware have the same kind of sound well I may just not like how the hardware is reacting to hot signals or driven input.

I think it shines on "soft" "transparent" compression. But they are so much good clean compressor ITB out there that I don't know if it is something I could really need.
Regarding hardware I can def feel the need of such a clean compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Yep was talking with Bose about this comp , and basically this is not to be drived , just said to him this is not one that i will use for parallel smash lie a lot of people lke to do around , for that , arousor rules (not only for that by the way) !!!
Makes total sense, that's what I deducted.

Tried it on OH for smashing them (without reaching that fuzzy hot tone) and wasn't convinced either.

As I said it shines for elegant, "transparent" compression. But I feel that it is what software had mastered since a few years now, and even for free (Kotelnikov).

OTB : I like how Overloud Gem670 and GemGcomp react as parallel squashers (but aliasing is high).
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Makes total sense, that's what I deducted.

Tried it on OH for smashing them (without reaching that fuzzy hot tone) and wasn't convinced either.

As I said it shines for elegant, "transparent" compression. But I feel that it is what software had mastered since a few years now, and even for free (Kotelnikov).

OTB : I like how Overloud Gem670 and GemGcomp react as parallel squashers (but aliasing is high).
Yep those are great , one i used recently for paralell beef on a heavy beat , was the lindell 1176 type from PA , it really beafs up anything ...

What i found is that usually people squash and the mix / wet the thing , and this guy here squash less , but basically the results is really close to another comp squashing and wit mix wet set up then , my conclusion is that it's a seriuous monster , because i'm not at all a parrallel comp dude (even if use it here and there) but for me a comp is supposed to sound right without mix knob and PA wth townhouse and this ne seems to make it better and better //

Don't know if you watched my video and how i use it on beats , but transparent ? not at all in a good way !! sure it can ,

Last edited by Jeezo; 10th January 2019 at 11:50 AM..
Old 10th January 2019
Soo much hYpe... what's the price???

It's a fine compressor, no doubt.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Not a fan (at all) of the driven sound in the bass demo either, awful buzzing.

Love this comp though, very open and coherent. Beat out El Rey, Cream (C660 - just) and Townhouse (by some margin) on the mixbus so far. The different rectifiers are a very useful, as is the bias.

Things PA should add:

1) Continuous output trim. I don't want to have to adjust multiple values and thresholds just to reduce the output by 0.5dB. If it were a character mixing comp (API for example) I would understand. This is sold as a mastering comp though, we need fine control, not a hammer. They've added parallel, mono maker, stereo widener etc so this omission is rather baffling.

2) Click (or right click) on values to jump to them. It's a usability hindrance having to rotate through the rectifiers. It makes fast A/B comparisons much more tricky (comparing the geranium modes on either side for example).

Regarding Weiss DS-1 - nothing can replace that imo. Beautiful polished sound with deep, controlled and powerful compression action. I'm using it after Iron on the mixbus as we speak and it's delicious :¬)

Last edited by b0se; 10th January 2019 at 03:05 PM..
Old 10th January 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agree on the clean output knob. No idea why they skipped it, while adding such a control (disguised as a screw sometimes) in other products. The lower part of the GUI is the perfect place for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yep those are great , one i used recently for paralell beef on a heavy beat , was the lindell 1176 type from PA , it really beafs up anything ...

What i found is that usually people squash and the mix / wet the thing , and this guy here squash less , but basically the results is really close to another comp squashing and wit mix wet set up then , my conclusion is that it's a seriuous monster , because i'm not at all a parrallel comp dude (even if use it here and there) but for me a comp is supposed to sound right without mix knob and PA wth townhouse and this ne seems to make it better and better //

Don't know if you watched my video and how i use it on beats , but transparent ? not at all in a good way !! sure it can ,

I hadn't had the time to look at your video (a bit too long for me), but I will watch during my lunch break (proper studio geek lunchbreak next to the studio desk haha).
Although it can indeed be very coloured. But I didn't felt any "Wow this doesn't sound like a plugin/steril". I can sometimes feel that on some software when reaching their sweetspot (as for instance with the Gem670 when squashing drums room/kick/snare together, the London one really reminds me of the Fairchild I used, but we talked about it on the dedicated thread .

Here I didn't felt that at all. I sometimes felt : "Nice, it's improving the track a a bit", but it improves the track because compression was well set up rather than because this compressor was amazing. At least that's what I felt.

But to be fair, it is just my first impressions. A beast like this need times to handle properly so a first day feedback may completely change after a few days of use.
Although I am always reluctant to use demo software on mixes, because they became indispensable after haha.

I had the Lindell 1176 plugin, never tried to squash things with it, but I didn't liked his bright sound. And wasn't impressed by its action neither. I prefer things to be a bit more "saturated" and darker (for instance my favourites comps are Fairchild and TLA100A, saturated and dark respectively haha) rather than bright and modern. We maybe have different taste .
- Also it seems that I don't work with the same style of music as you according to your demo. Even the pop track I work on have quite a lot of "analog drums" elements here and there, even if I started with a lot of hip/hop/rap/trap guys at the beginning before going to a proper studio-

I'll give it an intensive try asap and compare it to SDC quickly, just to see.

BTW : The Air stuff on it is massive ! It totally change the compressor behaviour and makes it sounds hyper aggressive. I quite like its action like that (even if I'll need and EQ to compensate after it if I don't like its EQ curve).
Also the sidechain EQ presets can be quite efficient and surprising sometimes. Such a clever design.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
BTW : The Air stuff on it is massive ! It totally change the compressor behaviour and makes it sounds hyper aggressive. I quite like its action like that (even if I'll need and EQ to compensate after it if I don't like its EQ curve).
Also the sidechain EQ presets can be quite efficient and surprising sometimes. Such a clever design.
The AirBass and Tape Roll-off are post compression, just before the output, so I doubt they'll have much affect on the compression behaviour.

Page 7 of the manual - signal flow
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walsh ➡️
The AirBass and Tape Roll-off are post compression, just before the output, so I doubt they'll have much affect on the compression behaviour.

Page 7 of the manual - signal flow
I remember feeling quite a change, maybe was fooled by the strong EQ moves of AirBass.
I saw the signal flow manual indeed. That's why it felt weird to me at first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really wish i didnt like this so much! My mixbuss has undergone so many transformations (many of them being BX's fault!!)

But to be honest, the real value in this plug lies in the fact that you could use it on all your group busses. PA plugs are really quite efficient compared to a lot of other companies. That makes me happy. Just hope the deal is right.

The metering plug looks good too, but im wondering how much i need it with insight, metric, ik metering etc etc
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I too like dark also , use the tape on iron almost everytime , novatron is also great , usually if i need color , i fire blacbox , vsm , cascade or some like a tape or saturn ...prior to comp ...

What i want from a buss comp is simple , but at the same time difficult , i want strong mastering of the dynamic , no matter the material and its spectrum , perceived dynamic preserve and Groove aka does it print its timing or does the original sounds movement still noticeable ...

All this gives what we call glue in a pro manner ... a lot of comp around shines in one or another but lack in other arras , arousor lacks for exemple a little groove , townhouse has that groove but doesn t shine on everything , the spl isn t the most vibey but its five start in all aspect , punch , glue , complex material handling , color , features and all this by mastering the dynamic in the most musical way , it just sounds right ...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This plugin is very, very good. Well done!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➡️
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I too like dark also , use the tape on iron almost everytime , novatron is also great , usually if i need color , i fire blacbox , vsm , cascade or some like a tape or saturn ...prior to comp ...

What i want from a buss comp is simple , but at the same time difficult , i want strong mastering of the dynamic , no matter the material and its spectrum , perceived dynamic preserve and Groove aka does it print its timing or does the original sounds movement still noticeable ...

All this gives what we call glue in a pro manner ... a lot of comp around shines in one or another but lack in other arras , arousor lacks for exemple a little groove , townhouse has that groove but doesn t shine on everything , the spl isn t the most vibey but its five start in all aspect , punch , glue , complex material handling , color , features and all this by mastering the dynamic in the most musical way , it just sounds right ...
I do like Novatron quite a lot too.
I also love saturation, even if I don't have any go-to in that category.

Very interesting point of view about mixbus compression !
Out of curiosity have you tried TDR Kotelnikov ? I guess it is able of everything you list here regarding his options and transparency.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete ➡️
Heresy you say?! Banned forever?! Alas take heed brethren, lest the great plug-in poet Asher of the Bay reach for his quill and ye shall be smitten forever!!!!
You guys make me giggle.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walsh ➡️
This plugin is very, very good. Well done!
Hey Robin!
Good to see you 'round here ;-)
Would love to check it out in that amazing room of yours.

Frantically trying to print some mixes before the demo runs out

PA has been doing really great stuff lately.

Last edited by method1; 10th January 2019 at 04:03 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nicely I actually had a demo reset available for Coral so I did a quick play around with it. It is still not my thing for the mixbus. Interestingly though imo SPL Iron and Coral are night and day. Enough to not really even be worth comparing. Basically two different tools. Coral is bigger, thicker, has more glue but almost becomes too smooth to the point of having no perceivable depth most evident in the highs, but pretty much more of everything. SPL Iron kind of gets exposed as a plugin even though a very good one when compared to Coral due to the lack of weight. That being said I still prefer SPL Iron over Coral for varying reasons.

Last edited by Asher Bay; 10th January 2019 at 04:22 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nicely I actually had a demo reset available for Coral so I did a quick play around with it. It is still not my thing for the mixbus. Interestingly though imo SPL Iron and Coral are night and day. Enough to not really even be worth comparing. Basically two different tools. Coral is bigger, thicker, has more glue but almost becomes too smooth to the point of having no perceivable depth most evident in the highs, but pretty much more of everything. SPL Iron kind of gets exposed as plugin even though a very good one when compared due to the lack of weight. That being said I still prefer SPL Iron over Coral for varying reasons.
I agree about the lack of "weight".
Which makes me hesitate to grab it as it, to me and for now, sounds just like a very versatile compressor but nothing special or "hardware like" about it that makes it stand out of the crowd sound-wise (features wise it's another story).
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well this is not compressor,this is Leopard 3 tank
Iron vs any comp out there

🎧 20 years
Quote:
You guys make me giggle.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
..MFC Modern (my mixbus go to)...
My lingo isn't up to snuff, what is MFC?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep ➡️
My lingo isn't up to snuff, what is MFC?
AMS 88RS console library from AlexB (for Nebula).

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - MFC Modern Flagship Console - Nebula Programs
Deleted f6fc2a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️

Regarding Weiss DS-1 - nothing can replace that imo. Beautiful polished sound with deep, controlled and powerful compression action. I'm using it after Iron on the mixbus as we speak and it's delicious :¬)
Ditto about DS-1. I tested Iron against Dynone and DS-1 and what these 2 can do alone or in series especially with some post-compressor eq (with ff-pro q3 in my case) is untouchable.

Fewwwww, one less plugin to buy.
📝 Reply