El Rey is finally out - Greg Wells' Signature Tube compressor plugin - Page 49 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
El Rey is finally out - Greg Wells' Signature Tube compressor plugin
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1441
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude ➡️
I imagine you'll be leaning on your cpu the most.
Haha
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1442
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude ➡️
I imagine you'll be leaning on your cpu the most.
Haha!! I tend to do everything -- composition, mixing, mastering -- in stages, so I never have everything loaded up all at once. Even when I'm mixing, I do each part - drums, guitars, and so on - in sections and bounce as I go, so I'm never leaning on the CPU too much
Old 1st April 2021
  #1443
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Demo'd most of AA's stuff at this point and they really are all killer gear! still need to decide which I go with :D. I still sent a support ticket over to them and asked if they could do a plugin on Undertone Audio's MPEQ-1 because, not only has no one done it yet, but it's already up their alley with a super musical pre-amp and EQ http://www.undertoneaudio.com/products/mpeq-1. They said they would send it over to their product manager, so fingers crossed!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1444
Lives for gear
 
robshrock's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel C Media ➡️
Haha!! I tend to do everything -- composition, mixing, mastering -- in stages, so I never have everything loaded up all at once. Even when I'm mixing, I do each part - drums, guitars, and so on - in sections and bounce as I go, so I'm never leaning on the CPU too much
Mixing?

I’d call that circular guessing. But if it works for you... 🍻
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1445
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
Mixing?

I’d call that circular guessing. But if it works for you... 🍻
Total opposite of guessing? I call it efficiency since having too much on my computer ends up overcooking my computer and the time spent trying to re-open a huge session is time lost versus consolidating and bouncing stuff down as I go. I'd rather get the track sounding practically mix-ready totally raw, bounce it down, shift my brain totally into mixing so I can just focus on that, and continue to bounce as I go. So I'm moving step by step and my computer is lean the whole way through. Works well enough for me
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1446
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
Mixing?

I’d call that circular guessing. But if it works for you... 🍻
Indeed, it's a series of diminishing approximations, and I can't understand the point of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1447
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
It's not common but if it works for him and he's happy about it, there's no reason to judge, vaguely overview the whole process and bash, when you haven't heard the results.

As for El Rey, I sold it and they asked me to refund the sale...rare practice. So one way I avoid CPU hog from Acoustica's plugin is to stay away from them !
Sorry for the less positive opinion but I think one as to choose companies, and also if huge CPU amounts are worth the said processing. Same with UAD, dsp are expensive and on their knees most of the time.

El Rey's a cool plugin, but now I got PA/Black Rooster/Apogée ( FANTASTIC Opto 3A and Mod Comp) Royal Comp etc .etc. so much out there.

then it's all native, flexible/ portable and the CPU part plays a role in being able to reopen sessions and have a smooth workflow.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1448
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp ➡️
It's not common but if it works for him and he's happy about it, there's no reason to judge, vaguely overview the whole process and bash, when you haven't heard the results.

As for El Rey, I sold it and they asked me to refund the sale...rare practice. So one way I avoid CPU hog from Acoustica's plugin is to stay away from them !
Sorry for the less positive opinion but I think one as to choose companies, and also if huge CPU amounts are worth the said processing. Same with UAD, dsp are expensive and on their knees most of the time.

El Rey's a cool plugin, but now I got PA/Black Rooster/Apogée ( FANTASTIC Opto 3A and Mod Comp) Royal Comp etc .etc. so much out there.

then it's all native, flexible/ portable and the CPU part plays a role in being able to reopen sessions and have a smooth workflow.
Actually, the best practice is to install the 30-day free trial in advance to make sure your system is capable of handling real hardware emulations.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1449
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Actually, the best practice is to install the 30-day free trial in advance to make sure your system is capable of handling real hardware emulations.
Makes sense, although it was a meeting with a producer and so on, you get excited and stuff. it takes months to know if it because part of your habits or collects dust.

then you re-ajust. see what you need, the cpu use, replacable stuffs. I even replaced all Waves only because of WUP, that's no compromise choice I miss a few but less bull**** in my life, same with UAD.

So now I have good sounding plugins, work offline, no dongle, great choice on the market.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1450
Gear Guru
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Funny thread a bunch of people complaining about a bass bump and color that is what makes this so wonderful as the vision of a top mixer who uses this as an artistic tool.

Cpu is what it is. My best tools use a bunch of it and I accept it as a price of admission. IkTape, Kush Electra, Transatlantic Plate, all use a lot as well as AA. Totally worth it!....
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1451
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Actually, the best practice is to install the 30-day free trial in advance to make sure your system is capable of handling real hardware emulations.
« Real hardware emulation ».

It’s a funny world when we start to define a real emulation from a fake emulation.
Based on the fact that a digital emulation of something palpable is, by default, virtual.
So not « real » per say.

No offense, just a useless thought to bring back some humility in this crazy world .
Peace <3.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1452
Lives for gear
 
DownSideUp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
« Real hardware emulation ».

It’s a funny world when we start to define a real emulation from a fake emulation.
Based on the fact that a digital emulation of something palpable is, by default, virtual.
So not « real » per say.

No offense, just a useless thought to bring back some humility in this crazy world .
Peace <3.
you're right, I missed that! by opposition to "less real" hardware emulation that might be more cpu friendly?

I love Apogée's Pultec EQP-1 (under-rated), or Brainworx Townhouse ( that lives on Darrel Thorp's mixbus for a long time), pretty real emu to me.

Indeed so much marketing in this industry: demo the tools, mind about cpu or dongles or ease of use, explore the under-rated (Tokyo Dawn) and one will have a good system, heck even Logic Pro's plugin are quite amazing. cheers
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1453
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
Funny thread a bunch of people complaining about a bass bump and color that is what makes this so wonderful as the vision of a top mixer who uses this as an artistic tool.

Cpu is what it is. My best tools use a bunch of it and I accept it as a price of admission. IkTape, Kush Electra, Transatlantic Plate, all use a lot as well as AA. Totally worth it!....
I'm not seeing the humor. The fact that a bass bump is "occasionally" an asset to a compressor, and Wells' personal use of this compressor, in no way discount the valid and real complaints coming from actual customers who find the bass bump detrimental. Regarding the CPU hit, again, there's complete merit to the feedback we're seeing from people who've stopped using it due to this disadvantage. There won't be agreement on the balance between sound/CPU -- whether the sound is worth the processor hit -- but that doesn't make one stance valid and the other funny. I typically have to eq out the bass bump. Sometimes not, but usually. And I often find the CPU hit stealing from other more important uses (reverb, VIs), and I have a quick machine, but one that runs compositions which require a lot of juice.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1454
Gear Guru
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I'm not seeing the humor. The fact that a bass bump is "occasionally" an asset to a compressor, and Wells' personal use of this compressor, in no way discount the valid and real complaints coming from actual customers who find the bass bump detrimental. Regarding the CPU hit, again, there's complete merit to the feedback we're seeing from people who've stopped using it due to this disadvantage. There won't be agreement on the balance between sound/CPU -- whether the sound is worth the processor hit -- but that doesn't make one stance valid and the other funny. I typically have to eq out the bass bump. Sometimes not, but usually. And I often find the CPU hit stealing from other more important uses (reverb, VIs), and I have a quick machine, but one that runs compositions which require a lot of juice.
This thread has 1400 posts and most of them are bitching about what makes this thing sound unique. Buy something else, plenty of great comps out there. You really find the cpu extreme? Most AA plugins do, so no big news flash. Give Ik Tape a try if you want a real hog. Such is the price of great sound...

I find it funny people want to take away the very characteristics of a genius designed tool that makes it what it is....unique.

Reminds me of a guitar salesman at GC I heard trying to argue the bland sounding acoustic was great because it was bland and would record well, to some poor kid who just wanted a guitar with a sound she could fall in love with.....when in doubt buy beige lol!....
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1455
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think you're taking it too seriously and blowing these reactions out of proportion, but in defense of what? This plugin doesn't need defending. There's a demo -- people can take it, or leave it. Most have actually said that it's a great sounding compressor, *but* also arguably flawed; what you're calling unique. I think it's also odd to suggest that anyone who doesn't share complete enthusiasm must be of the bland ilk, preferring underperforming compressors, as if that's the only possible explanation for any complaints. I used El Rey about a month ago and it was the ideal option for that female vocal. However, most of the time my ears opt for something else. It's not conspiratorial, and it's not due to a preference for beige. I'm more of coquelicot kind of guy.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1456
Gear Guru
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I think you're taking it too seriously and blowing these reactions out of proportion, but in defense of what? This plugin doesn't need defending. There's a demo -- people can take it, or leave it. Most have actually said that it's a great sounding compressor, *but* also arguably flawed; what you're calling unique. I think it's also odd to suggest that anyone who doesn't share complete enthusiasm must be of the bland ilk, preferring underperforming compressors, as if that's the only possible explanation for any complaints. I used El Rey about a month ago and it was the ideal option for that female vocal. However, most of the time my ears opt for something else. It's not conspiratorial, and it's not due to a preference for beige. I'm more of coquelicot kind of guy.
You were the one saying you didn’t see the humor...

I still think it’s funny buying something based on having character and then wanting a version that doesn’t....
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1457
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
You were the one saying you didn’t see the humor...

I still think it’s funny buying something based on having character and then wanting a version that doesn’t....
Again, no one is asking for the advantageous color -- the fullness, the harmonic distortion, the "hair" -- to be removed, they'd asked for one without the bass bump. They're two completely different aspects of this compressor. Before anyone says "the bass bump contributes to the fullness," no it doesn't. Out of necessity, many have eq'd the bump out and experienced no lack of character in the remaining tone.

It's not much of a talking point. People are using eq to fix the issue. The interesting takeaway is their complete refusal to address any complaints about their products while possessing anxiousness to quote and repeat and like the smallest hint of praise. I'm still boggled by how these companies fail to see the value in the thousands of dollars worth of free market research and customer feedback that exists on these forums.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1458
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Again, no one is asking for the advantageous color -- the fullness, the harmonic distortion, the "hair" -- to be removed, they'd asked for one without the bass bump. They're two completely different aspects of this compressor. Before anyone says "the bass bump contributes to the fullness," no it doesn't. Out of necessity, many have eq'd the bump out and experienced no lack of character in the remaining tone.

It's not much of a talking point. People are using eq to fix the issue. The interesting takeaway is their complete refusal to address any complaints about their products while possessing anxiousness to quote and repeat and like the smallest hint of praise. I'm still boggled by how these companies fail to see the value in the thousands of dollars worth of free market research and customer feedback that exists on these forums.
The bass bump is due to the Transformers.

Do a little research on Lurssen Mastering. They talk about their special Mastering Chain that they've used for years.

A piece of their equipment has a similar 'bump'. They know this, and they pair it with other equipment to compensate.

Lurssen is a highly respected Mastering Service, with very experienced Engineers [much success].

They could put anything they'd want in their Chain ... but they know what sounds good and works for them.

Something to consider.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1459
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
The bass bump is due to the Transformers.

Do a little research on Lurssen Mastering. They talk about their special Mastering Chain that they've used for years.

A piece of their equipment has a similar 'bump'. They know this, and they pair it with other equipment to compensate.

Lurssen is a highly respected Mastering Service, with very experienced Engineers [much success].

They could put anything they'd want in their Chain ... but they know what sounds good and works for them.

Something to consider.
It's a solid point with a heritage - there's the trick of attenuating one frequency only to push the exact same frequency by the exact same amount using another band to achieve a desired effect - but in my case, and others I've read, that bass bump is just unwanted, regardless of what's causing it or what it's emulating. I understand that it can be an asset, and I've used it as such. And I sort of rested my issue with El Rey, until it was recently revived by someone who thought it was a joke to express the opinion that the bump is anything but an asset, always and categorically.

As always, if the end result gets you the sound you desire, how can its methodology be wrong... With El Rey, at least in my case, it was often left unused because of this issue. That's something.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1460
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
It's a solid point with a heritage - there's the trick of attenuating one frequency only to push the exact same frequency by the exact same amount using another band to achieve a desired effect - but in my case, and others I've read, that bass bump is just unwanted, regardless of what's causing it or what it's emulating. I understand that it can be an asset, and I've used it as such. And I sort of rested my issue with El Rey, until it was recently revived by someone who thought it was a joke to express the opinion that the bump is anything but an asset, always and categorically.

As always, if the end result gets you the sound you desire, how can its methodology be wrong... With El Rey, at least in my case, it was often left unused because of this issue. That's something.
Since you will find many 'transformer' units exhibit the same type of response ... then the conclusion is ... choose your tools according to need.

The reason we own so many varieties.

I understand your point ... and just because someone else complains, it stills is just a complaint about the intentional, internal design of the Product.

Not 'fixing' what is not broken.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1461
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
Not 'fixing' what is not broken.
Yeah, true. El Rey is simply not for some people, and I suppose there's no reason for the product to be modified just to please a larger crowd. Leave it as-is and let people decide for themselves via the demo if it's needed in the toolbox. The issue, for me, is that I rather like it generally, and would love a tweaked option (one less CPU hungry).
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1462
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Yeah, true. El Rey is simply not for some people, and I suppose there's no reason for the product to be modified just to please a larger crowd. Leave it as-is and let people decide for themselves via the demo if it's needed in the toolbox. The issue, for me, is that I rather like it generally, and would love a tweaked option (one less CPU hungry).
A point to remember ...

El Rey is a 'Sponsored' release .... from the guy that actually owns the specific piece of Hardware.

As a veteran Engineer ... he has acute listening skills.

The detailed work that went in to creating a software replication of that piece of hardware was, basically, enormous.

Had it not passed 'His' approval .... we the public would not even have the El Rey.

There are some other AA products that must also pass the Sponsors approval [DWFern comes to mind, as well as others].

Anyone can say whatever they want ... but there are basic facts that will not be altered unilaterally.

Also to consider .... the reason these Engineers choose to have a specific Product transformed to Software. It is not 'free' development. They are investing in this endevour ... and only Their approval will release.

They should or must know something about why that hardware, or 'Chain' is chosen.

No product is for everyone [i don't care what Microsoft or Apple think about that]

But maybe the question for those not able to figure out a compensation chain, to ask the Sponsor ... what are 'you' doing ?

I just speaking in the General terms, and not directed to anyone specific ... you understand.

Every Engineer should refine his 'Sonic' taste and Signature. That's what these veteran Engineers are known for .... People like their sound and work .... or they don't .... but they have honed there Signal Flow to work for them, and have achieved, at least, some level of accepted success.

Old 3 weeks ago
  #1463
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm trying to understand the point of all of that. Not that I disagree, but it appears to attempt to elevate the legitimacy of this product in ways I can't subscribe to. I'd asked (twice, I believe) what role the Sponsor played in developing this product, and (twice, I believe) watched the question go unanswered. If my mother-in-law owned this particular compressor, leant it to the developer, and it was modeled to the same degree of accuracy, I suspect that the result would be identical. In other words, the Sponsor's name being attached adds no specific relevance that I can detect, beyond the rather insignificant fact that they like and use this device (though to what degree is unknown).

There's an entire world of conversations about product endorsements and their representational merit, with sponsor involvement varying from, a) agreeing to the usage of their name and nothing more, to, z) being down in the swamp making the thing meticulously and entirely themselves. I don't understand the sponsor's role here, nor why the question has been avoided. I suspect it's because the box was cloned by the developer, the name applied, and that's generally it, and the marketing is hoping potential customers will see the name and apply their own added value. And had they left it at "Greg Wells uses this box and we've cloned it" I'd be on board, but that's not how it's been sold, especially in the earlier days of this thread. Clearly we're off track with this sideshoot, but since the thread was dead for months I don't think it's derailing anyone's thought stream. As always, when someone suggests, "you should take this product seriously because John Doe's name is on it,' we have to ask, "why, exactly?"
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1464
Gear Head
 
studioton's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Actually, the best practice is to install the 30-day free trial in advance to make sure your system is capable of handling real hardware emulations.
i tried your plugins and the result is that i ordered mac pro!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1465
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
greg talks about it in detail here, and emphasizes the importance of the bass bump in the plugin capturing the tone of his hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkgHr4t8CaY&t=1364s
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1466
Gear Maniac
 
Eevi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I have used it many times in the mix bus with great results. Of course it depends on the material and type of music. When mixing into it I have found that the bass bump naturally blends the bass instruments quite well. I do understand that on individual instruments one often needs to tweak with eq after inserting it but that's part of its sonic signature and it's predictable.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1467
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I'm trying to understand the point of all of that. Not that I disagree, but it appears to attempt to elevate the legitimacy of this product in ways I can't subscribe to. I'd asked (twice, I believe) what role the Sponsor played in developing this product, and (twice, I believe) watched the question go unanswered. If my mother-in-law owned this particular compressor, leant it to the developer, and it was modeled to the same degree of accuracy, I suspect that the result would be identical. In other words, the Sponsor's name being attached adds no specific relevance that I can detect, beyond the rather insignificant fact that they like and use this device (though to what degree is unknown).

There's an entire world of conversations about product endorsements and their representational merit, with sponsor involvement varying from, a) agreeing to the usage of their name and nothing more, to, z) being down in the swamp making the thing meticulously and entirely themselves. I don't understand the sponsor's role here, nor why the question has been avoided. I suspect it's because the box was cloned by the developer, the name applied, and that's generally it, and the marketing is hoping potential customers will see the name and apply their own added value. And had they left it at "Greg Wells uses this box and we've cloned it" I'd be on board, but that's not how it's been sold, especially in the earlier days of this thread. Clearly we're off track with this sideshoot, but since the thread was dead for months I don't think it's derailing anyone's thought stream. As always, when someone suggests, "you should take this product seriously because John Doe's name is on it,' we have to ask, "why, exactly?"
Simply put [in this case with AA].

The 'Sponsor' is THE BOSS. The Product in design either meets HIS specifications ... everything [GUI, Layout, color, sonic interaction] .... EVERYTHING ...

or it does not even become aware by the general Public.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Endorsements. Nothing.

Acustica Audio was chosen because of its' unique Technology, but every aspect of the plugin under design is under authority of The Sponsor.

I'm only relaying some general information as a Beta Tester for this, and all AA Products. What I'm telling you does not conflict with our NDA, but should be helpful to understand what these specific 'Sponsored' Products entail.

These special Products are completely different to what AA does with their own development. For 'these' ... they can do just as they please, and it is clear that AA has modify/enhanced/supplemented their own releases ... whether initially, or through free updates.

I hope this clears up any questions.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1468
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
It is exactly like that.
It's the artist decision to make magnetic knobs (Luca's Diamond EQ3), Distortion types, and clipper ( Mike Dean's Gainstation, Dave Pensado, and more)
They usually are pretty demanding (in a good way) about the quality and final product, otherwise, they wouldn't put their names and reputation on it.

El Rey is one of our finest compressors, and as with any other tool, you can try it and see if it works for you.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1469
Gear Guru
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I particularly like the fact the guy puts it out there with no apologies. I also think he probably tweaked it a bit from what he owns which seems modified to begin with. Works for me and everything adds something and takes something away.

Such is life...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 28186 views: 2964070
Avatar for RJHollins
RJHollins 13 minutes ago
replies: 1196 views: 159009
Avatar for mxbf
mxbf 21 hours ago
replies: 53 views: 10647
Avatar for Dirk Churlish
Dirk Churlish 26th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump