The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio Stamchild SA-670
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper0 ➡️
Just a heads up folks, if you received yours recently or are about to. I received mine a year ago. It took me several months to discover there were problems with the unit, and it has been sitting in repair for 2 months now on the other side of the US which I am paying shipping and insurance for both ways. I have no idea when I'm getting it back. I also heard, though I can't confirm, that there were several of them in line at the shop. So make sure everything works properly as soon as you can, and measure it using meters. One channel on mine is slightly distorted and outputs a mismatched level compared to the other channel. I regret not testing it more thoroughly when I first got it. There's only one support person in the US and they are on the east coast.
Any tips on what to check and how you checked with a meter?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just a heads up folks, if you received yours recently or are about to. I received mine a year ago. It took me several months to discover there were problems with the unit, and it has been sitting in repair for 2 months now on the other side of the US which I am paying shipping and insurance for both ways. I have no idea when I'm getting it back. I also heard, though I can't confirm, that there were several of them in line at the shop. So make sure everything works properly as soon as you can, and measure it using meters. One channel on mine is slightly distorted and outputs a mismatched level compared to the other channel. I regret not testing it more thoroughly when I first got it. There's only one support person in the US and they are on the east coast.
Did you try switching tubes from one channel to the other to see if the issue switches channels?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Testing was done using a 1k test tone. Other frequencies besides 1k and low level noise were seen on the bad channel. I did not change tubes, Stam support told me to send directly to repair.
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
FWIW, 3 out of 4 of the Stam products I owned had to go to Jeff (the tech on the east coast) for repair once I received them. One of them actually had to go twice. Luckily, Stam charged shipping for all of the instances, but I caught them within a year. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of similar stories I've read on here with folks needing repairs early on, so I'd echo your warning for people to check on their units thoroughly and early on.
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Stam Audio

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms ➡️
FWIW, 3 out of 4 of the Stam products I owned had to go to Jeff (the tech on the east coast) for repair once I received them. One of them actually had to go twice. Luckily, Stam charged shipping for all of the instances, but I caught them within a year. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of similar stories I've read on here with folks needing repairs early on, so I'd echo your warning for people to check on their units thoroughly and early on.
Our policy dictates that if a unit arrives with any type of fault we cover the repair and the shipping to and back from the engineer.

Please note that no unit leaves our lab with a fault. It is virtually impossible as it's checked by 5 different engineers (3 electronic engineers and 2 audio engineers) and a strict checklist is ran every time before packaging.

If a unit develops a problem after using it there is a standard warranty were we cover the repair only. Shipping to and back the closest engineer is not covered.

We ship between 175 and 350 units monthly. Of these units maybe 2 or 3 develop an issue. This almost always occurs after customs opens the unit and there is manipulation or and old NOS part fails despite our efforts so let them burn and pass audio for 72 hours.

It is highly uncommon for our units to have an issue. Our failure rate is below 1% on arrival and below 2% after a year but it can happen and we stand behind our work to get it back in order as soon as possible.

I am sorry you had issues on your units, sometimes it just bad luck when one customer has had more than one problem, 3 out 4 had certainly only happened once or twice in the past 10 years.

Our failure rate was much higher in the early years (2014-2017) before I re-designed the entire line and upgraded all suppliers to reduce this.

The Stamchild is build to the highest standards worldwide and with the most expensive components you will find in the market but like I always say, even a 50 million dollar Rolls-Royce jet engine can fail.
Old 22nd March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Reporting back after receiving it for 2 months now. I took a whole weak to burn it in before using it.
What this thing does is it makes all the sounds so clear during mixdown.
I strap this thing on my master bus inserts of my analog mixer.
I can hear different instruments very clearly, to a point that I can lower the faders down, for a more gentle mixdown for some instruments, otherwise they become annoying now.
ALSO, it makes the mix Clean and it adds a Natural High, like a modern sound as some people call it. I can hear it very clearly between Bypass mode and On mode.
It does things that my Alan Smart C2 just doesn't do. Now I use my C2 just for vocal during mixdown.
So for me, it is a whole new experience.
dan
Old 23rd March 2021
Lives for gear

I’m still getting used to it. So I’ll post a more detailed report another time. The main thing I’ve discovered is it’s quite subtle. You can’t really abuse it and make it dirty, things stay fairly polite, even when driven hard you only get a bit of tube warmth, never heavy fuzz. I also don’t find it has very much mojo or box tone. At first I was like - is that it?

It’s very clean and clear but it does seem to add some weight and increase in perceived loudness. Even when I have the compression set to the lowest amount and I can’t hear any dynamics alteration, everything sounds louder and bigger, whilst staying clean and clear. (I’ve measured levels and it is not louder it just sounds louder). And this is what I’m finding it’s best use is. It’s not a particularly versatile compressor, but it is a nice thing to have at the end of the recording chain to give some extra weight, especially on the mix bus.

Last edited by TEMAS; 23rd March 2021 at 11:18 PM..
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS ➡️
I also don’t find it has very much mojo
Mine has mojo for days. I use mine for tracking primarily right now though, not mix buss duties. I also don't expect fuzz from it and if it had it I'd send it back as being broken. It's a clean mastering grade tool that gives you caramelized butter envelope shaping and stacks tracks eye popping well.

All IMO of course.

I have used a well maintained vintage one I loved but it could be grabby on bass heavy material. The sidechain filter on the Stamchild fixes that. If I had the cash and room I'd get a couple more. Super useful for my style, taste, and workflow.
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Forgot to say that this machine glues the Kick and the Bass so well, something that I have not been able to produce before.
I also found that dial the Inputs to like 6 and the Output to 8 only, is better than turn the Output to maximum.
At maximum on Output, the StamChild does produce noise.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I did not see the mastering version on there site of the sa670, is it out of production?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
I did not see the mastering version on there site of the sa670, is it out of production?
You mention, when ordering, that you want stepped controls. Adds US$ 500:- to the price.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just got my FedEx tracking number. All of my other Stam gear shipped via DHL. Am I going to get hit with import fees/taxes with FedEx? I've never did with DHL.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
Just got my FedEx tracking number. All of my other Stam gear shipped via DHL. Am I going to get hit with import fees/taxes with FedEx? I've never did with DHL.
When's the last time you ordered something from overseas? More than likely, yes. You're going going to have to pay fees.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Import tax has nothing to do with transport. It depends where you live and where you order from..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➡️
Import tax has nothing to do with transport. It depends where you live and where you order from..
Live in the U.S., ordered from Chile. I understand there is a free trade agreement here? The last I received from Stam via DHL was a pair of Pultecs. Thought I read maybe people were getting hit with duties via FedEx. Or maybe it was because the value of this piece?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ups i am not sure about this stuff.
i live in europe...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
people were getting hit with duties via FedEx. Or maybe it was because the value of this piece?
I have a dim memory of someone mentioning earlier that it's because it's listed as a compressor which they don't understand to be audio equipment which is exempt. Anyone corroborate that?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
I have a dim memory of someone mentioning earlier that it's because it's listed as a compressor which they don't understand to be audio equipment which is exempt. Anyone corroborate that?
If you read page 49 of this thread, I have raised the same question, to which no one answers me at all.

The issue is the agent that Stam uses in Chile puts the wrong category for the type of merchandise, labeling as a construction compressor.

What I did was first to email Stam, and Sori replied that there is nothing that she could have done, then I emailed FedEx, using the same email address that they use to send me the tax bill, and attach a declaration that said that there is no tax between Chile and the US for individuals.

After that FedEx emailed me again, and said that they would investigate the matter and it will take a long time, sometimes more than 6 months.

Sori, the lady at Stam should have worked this out with the agent in Chile so that they don't make that mistake again. I don't know that she had done it nor not. But Stam should have alerted their agent in Chile about this matter, instead of saying that there is nothing that they could do. That was a very lame answer.

So far, FedEx have not responded back to me at all.

May be they will forget this whole thing, I hope.

If you PM me, I will forward that email that I sent to FedEx to you.

dan
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le ➡️
If you read page 49 of this thread, I have raised the same question, to which no one answers me at all.

The issue is the agent that Stam uses in Chile puts the wrong category for the type of merchandise, labeling as a construction compressor.

What I did was first to email Stam, and Sori replied that there is nothing that she could have done, then I emailed FedEx, using the same email address that they use to send me the tax bill, and attach a declaration that said that there is no tax between Chile and the US for individuals.

After that FedEx emailed me again, and said that they would investigate the matter and it will take a long time, sometimes more than 6 months.

Sori, the lady at Stam should have worked this out with the agent in Chile so that they don't make that mistake again. I don't know that she had done it nor not. But Stam should have alerted their agent in Chile about this matter, instead of saying that there is nothing that they could do. That was a very lame answer.

So far, FedEx have not responded back to me at all.

May be they will forget this whole thing, I hope.

If you PM me, I will forward that email that I sent to FedEx to you.

dan

Ah, yeah now I remember reading about that. Well, I guess I will know one way or the other soon.
Stam Audio

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anything below 2.500 USD does not pay tax

Regardless if it's Fedex, UPS or DHL.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam Audio ➡️
Anything below 2.500 USD does not pay tax

Regardless if it's Fedex, UPS or DHL.
Great to know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Can someone explain the wet/dry function on this piece? Why is there a volume arc? Meaning, the volume gets the loudest when set in the middle at 5, and progressively less volume at either ends. Also, what is the switch position after 10?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So, apparently position '11' on the Dry/Wet switch is the bypass position. But why the volume jump? I've got a Foote P4 DMS, Tubecore Mastering Compressor, Buzzaudio SOC 20, Audioscape D-Comp, Foote P3EX, and even the Stam SA4000MK2 where the bypass doesn't cause a volume jump. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Have these been shipping? I ordered fairly recently, but received an invoice to pay the full balance and that it will ship in the next 20 days.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Stupid ➡️
Have these been shipping? I ordered fairly recently, but received an invoice to pay the full balance and that it will ship in the next 20 days.
People have been receiving units this week, I ordered over two years ago but still waiting for invoice/shipment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stam Audio, even after YEARS you still successfully success to have your ordering/ payment process in a 100 percent total mess state.
Frightening !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Yep, 2 years, and 10 months wait, and counting here. Several "what for" emails, after seeing several other people jump the queue ahead of me because they are either paying the full amount, 'preferred' customers' like name brand Studio Owners, You Tube "Influencers", or happen to be called Eddie Kramer. High profile Customers like that, do help promote the company, and I do 'get' the reason for that. I've been a loyal customer throughout the whole process over the last 6 years, having previously bought 7 Compressors, 3 preamps, 2 Pultecs. I'd happily order more Stam gear, after the Stamchild arrives. Their product line just keeps getting better and better. I did offer to help make up some of the difference, due to my discount, if it was an financially an issue for Stam, and even shout $500 in drinks for everyone at Stam. The email answer from Sori was, "No need Paul. We just want you to get your Stamchild, but it's a bit complicated". Then the email from Andreina was "We haven't forgotten you, you're on the list". With the Stamchild coming to the end of it's run this month, before it's discontinued, I can only hope there's still one Stamchild with my name on it, rather than wait another 3 years for the Stamchild MKII. I better register my home studio as a business name, and make some you tube video's promoting Stam before I re-order.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
received mine and it sounds great...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthesparky ➡️
Yep, 2 years, and 10 months wait, and counting here. Several "what for" emails, after seeing several other people jump the queue ahead of me because they are either paying the full amount, 'preferred' customers' like name brand Studio Owners, You Tube "Influencers", or happen to be called Eddie Kramer. High profile Customers like that, do help promote the company, and I do 'get' the reason for that. I've been a loyal customer throughout the whole process over the last 6 years, having previously bought 7 Compressors, 3 preamps, 2 Pultecs. I'd happily order more Stam gear, after the Stamchild arrives. Their product line just keeps getting better and better. I did offer to help make up some of the difference, due to my discount, if it was an financially an issue for Stam, and even shout $500 in drinks for everyone at Stam. The email answer from Sori was, "No need Paul. We just want you to get your Stamchild, but it's a bit complicated". Then the email from Andreina was "We haven't forgotten you, you're on the list". With the Stamchild coming to the end of it's run this month, before it's discontinued, I can only hope there's still one Stamchild with my name on it, rather than wait another 3 years for the Stamchild MKII. I better register my home studio as a business name, and make some you tube video's promoting Stam before I re-order.
I don't think that how it works. I got mine after a little over 2 years of wait.
Paid the deposit, which is $500, then paid for the stepped switches, and finally paid off the balance when they sent me the final invoice. Almost 2 months after that I received the unit
The end of the story: very happy and ordered another one at much higher price, so hang in there. It will come.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le ➡️
I don't think that how it works. I got mine after a little over 2 years of wait.
Paid the deposit, which is $500, then paid for the stepped switches, and finally paid off the balance when they sent me the final invoice. Almost 2 months after that I received the unit
The end of the story: very happy and ordered another one at much higher price, so hang in there. It will come.
Well honestly I'm really happy that you're all happy, and are seemingly more worthy of receiving your Stamchilds, before the likes of myself, even though the majority of you ordered after me. I been loyal since the early days when Stam was a fledgling company? Can't help but think, what have I done wrong?

Everything I've ordered in the past has eventually arrived, apart from the LA-3A I pre-ordered, which was discontinued after the batch was completely sold.

Stam apologised and kindly re-allocated my deposit to other items that I also ordered and eventually received.

Just hoping the same thing doesn't happen with the Stamchild. Josh mentioned a Mark II, but that could be years away, and I'm not getting any younger. I mean come on, it's nearly 3 years! There's definitely an "in" crowd getting theirs sooner.
📝 Reply