3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
DSP-Quattro V5

DSP-Quattro

Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
trying the demo. making a new project and saving it to begin with doesn't work....(OSX 10.12.5)
Attached Thumbnails
DSP-Quattro V5-quattro.png  
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
ha, just want to report the same bug....
but what I see, is quite nice ...
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How are we supposed to demo this ??? I downloaded it, and when you create a new project, you get an alert window telling you to save this project first ( which I guess you can't , since it's a demo ). If you try to save, you get an error saying the document could not be saved, and Quattro immediately quits. And if you hit Cancel, well Quattro quits as well.
Basically whether you try to save or not, Quattro will quit immediately and won't let you demo anything...

EDIT : others beat me to it while I was typing this...
Old 23rd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️
trying the demo. making a new project and saving it to begin with doesn't work....(OSX 10.12.5)
opsss.... yes it was a stupid wrong flag into the Demo version.

Now I have fixed it, if you will download again the Demo archive, the new Demo application will work.

If you have comments, suggestions, or if you will need assistance, do not hesitate to write to me.

Thanks!
Stefano Daino
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaino ➡️
If you have comments, suggestions, or if you will need assistance, do not hesitate to write to me.

Thanks!
Stefano Daino
Stefano,
I emailed you this, but figured I'd post here as well.

Can we please get a "light mode"? I hate light text on a dark background.

Otherwise, I love the new layout and simplicity of it.

Seems like a complete rewrite?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➡️
Stefano,
I emailed you this, but figured I'd post here as well.

Can we please get a "light mode"? I hate light text on a dark background.

Otherwise, I love the new layout and simplicity of it.

Seems like a complete rewrite?
well, I confess, I used Logic X as reference, don't you like it?

It is good point. I'll see how much is difficult to allow different skins.

Yes, version 5 has been totally rewritten from scratch. New 64 bit audio file and graphic engines, new libraries, even a new programming language, new everything. It was really the right time to do it, Apple changed too many things on MacOS...

If you will need assistance, do not hesitate to write to me.

Thanks
Stefano Daino
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few other things....

1. it's not remembering windowpane settings either per project or even globally.

2. Opening saved projects: I'm getting long load times, dialog saying "cycles to process"

3. I am getting some crashes on loading projects. Do you want crash logs emailed to you?
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
re: light text, dark background.

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➡️
A few other things....

1. it's not remembering windowpane settings either per project or even globally.

2. Opening saved projects: I'm getting long load times, dialog saying "cycles to process"

3. I am getting some crashes on loading projects. Do you want crash logs emailed to you?
yes, please write to me at [email protected]

Thanks!
Stefano Daino
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just upgraded from v4 to v5 yesterday and have had about 5 mins to play with it.

I find the requirement to name/save when you first open up a new project REALLY annoying.

Most times I use Audio editors I simply want to play an audio file in them.
I may or may not end up doing any editing.

I would LOVE the option to not have to decide if you want to Save anything until you have the new project running.
Open Quattro, import audio, do whatever you want to do, THEN if you want to save it do it then.

Just like the Advanced version of Ozone 8 or Acoustica 7 (Acon Digital) etc etc

That aside, great to see this new version out.

Congratulations Stefano

PS:: I like the dark look (I like the look of Logic 10.4.1 as well).

Last edited by Beatworld; 24th May 2018 at 04:26 AM..
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Opened the demo, it found all my AUs, rocked it for 20 minutes, didn't crash on any of the Zynaptiq plugs I own or any number of other heavy hitters!

Just purchased!

Stefano is the best dude!

He's replied to every support request I've ever posted in a very timely fashion.

Hofa has a nice product too, but I want to support from all those years after MasterList CD, Jam and Spark all died and DSP Quattro was one of the few MAC 2 track editors available.

RnR

Last edited by thetshirts; 24th May 2018 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 24th May 2018
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does it support multi-channel/surround files? Can't find anything about these formats on the website.
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

Being an owner of V4 I was all set to get the upgrade to V5 but that's not happening because my OSX is too old - OSX 10.10.5 and according to the requirements I need El Crapitan or newer. Can't do that because PT11.3.2 isn't supported beyond Yosemite and I'm happy with PT as it is.

Question: is install on Yosemite or lower locked out like the latest update to NI Kontakt? I'm wondering what I can do to run the new version of this great program without having to change my OSX?
Old 31st May 2018 | Show parent
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf ➡️
Does it support multi-channel/surround files? Can't find anything about these formats on the website.
To answer my own question: no it doesn't. I just purchased the upgrade and Quattro 5 can load multi channel files and display them, but these cannot be played. The audio hardware setup only allows stereo I/O at the moment, which hopefully will get changed soon.
Old 31st May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cons: Can’t open an audio file directly to
listen, a new project must be created first.
Lack of multi-channel support.

Pros: Everything else! SOUNDS better than
DSPQ4. Imports mp3 files without having to
convert first to WAV or AIFF. Imports/exports
in almost any format including 32-bit float.
Insert effects implementation vastly expanded.
CD Layout section more intuitive, easier to
use. 64-bit now so it loads any 64-bit plugin
or VI. And much more.

I was sad about Peak’s demise, but no longer
am sad...DSPQ5 is THE worthy successor to
Peak.
Old 8th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
.... Most times I use Audio editors I simply want to play an audio file in them.
I may or may not end up doing any editing.......
why not just use Quicktime to do this?

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➡️
why not just use Quicktime to do this?

Sometimes I do.
But most times I want to throw some plugin across the file to check out something, might just be metering/level options, not to mention I like looking at the waveform.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Sometimes I do.
But most times I want to throw some plugin across the file to check out something, might just be metering/level options, not to mention I like looking at the waveform.
For that I use and love Twistedwave since many years. By far the coolest (simple) audio editor (for mac).

Testing Q5 now....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️
For that I use and love Twistedwave since many years. By far the coolest (simple) audio editor (for mac).
That looks pretty cool, thanks.
For years I used Peak and absolutely loved it.
Since its demise I've tried a few things.
I've used v4 of DSP Quattro a lot too.

Ozone standalone gets used a lot here now for the quick listens.
Acon Digital's Acoustica stand alone editor is pretty good too.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Do any of these editors do both waveform and spectrum editing? The ones I've seen only do one or the other.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
Do any of these editors do both waveform and spectrum editing? The ones I've seen only do one or the other.
The premium version of Acon Digital’s Acoustica does waveform and spectral editing.
Old 22nd June 2018
Here for the gear

Software DSPQ 5.0.X Adds Open File In Project

DSPQ 5 .03 or .04 added the ability to open audio files in an existing project, an
essential for comparing levels when mastering. Say you've mastered and bounced the first song. You can chose to have it imported into the existing project and it
shows up with the EFX chain gone. So you don't have to hit Bypass to compare it to Song #2 .

All songs in the project show up on tabs. You can play Song #2 thru
your mastering chain, click the tab for Song #1 on the fly and it will open with the cursor in the same relative position as Song #2 and as soon as you hit play you
have an extremely fast comparison for levels which is excellent.

You can send you files at whatever sample rate they were mixed at to the CD Playlist and they will automatically be converted to 16bit/44.1kHz and the highest quality sample rate conversion.

I have been working with Acoustica as well and was getting glitches with a three plugin EFX chain at 96k that DSPQ5 had no problem with.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Head
I've used DSP Quattro for years. Although the changes made in version 5 are good for mastering, they've really made it unpleasant to use as a sample editor.

Saw mentions for Acon, any other suggestions for a straight forward macOS sample editor that lets you apply destructive effects and batch export quickly?

Tried Twisted Wave, wasn't crazy about it, Sound Forge would be great if the price wasn't total insanity...
Just looking a down and dirty sample editor that hosts AU/VST with a speedy workflow and batch processing similar to DSP Q 4...
Old 21st September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfett ➡️
I've used DSP Quattro for years. Although the changes made in version 5 are good for mastering, they've really made it unpleasant to use as a sample editor.

Saw mentions for Acon, any other suggestions for a straight forward macOS sample editor that lets you apply destructive effects and batch export quickly?

Tried Twisted Wave, wasn't crazy about it, Sound Forge would be great if the price wasn't total insanity...
Just looking a down and dirty sample editor that hosts AU/VST with a speedy workflow and batch processing similar to DSP Q 4...
Quattro 5 - very disappointed especially like you say for a sample or waveform editor. The pencil tools has gone missing near as I can tell. And the edit screen waveform representation sucks.

I absolutely love Soundforge when I ran my Windows system - wish the mac version was a s good but it's nowheres near the old Win version.

Good news - Quattro 4 works just fine on OSX 10.12.6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Good news - Quattro 4 works just fine on OSX 10.12.6
Glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way. Loved DSP Q up until this past version. Unfortunately I'm stuck on High Sierra since I just upgraded to a new MacBook and as fas as I know the T2 chip requires 10.13...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby ➡️
Glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way. Loved DSP Q up until this past version. Unfortunately I'm stuck on High Sierra since I just upgraded to a new MacBook and as far as I know the T2 chip requires 10.13...
What is this T2 chip? An Ahnold clone?
Depending on exactly when your model MBP first came out you may be able to drop back to Sierra.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
What is this T2 chip? An Ahnold clone?
Depending on exactly when your model MBP first came out you may be able to drop back to Sierra.
No it's the new security chip that comes in the Macbooks they just released in July... (Same chip that's in the iMac Pro...) DSP Quattro 4 has all kinds of bugs on 10.13... IO errors, files won't save... Real bummer!
Lives for gear
Sorry, accidental double post.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

I had emailed Stefano a couple of days ago and just got a response. In it he says the omission of the pencil tool along with the Gainer tool, Batch Processor and key commands editor was intentional as he wanted to get the new version out because V4 was having more & more issues with High Sierra. He says those fixes are scheduled as the next step this autumn. Hopefully he also fixes the waveform display in the editor screen. What are people seeing in that screen when zoomed in? When I zoom in to show a few cycles of the waveform instead of a continuous line it becomes a series of broken discrete lines. It still sounds okay but for editing it'll be useless.
📝 Reply