The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin
Old 23rd September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TO ALL STILL USING MAGPHA EQ:

Recently I've been looking at several EQs in PluginDoctor, one of them being Magpha. I knew this guy had some unwanted ringing but didn't quite realise how bad it was until testing the LF extensively with various curve interactions. I love this EQ so much I actually ended up making a series of parameter links in Reaper, cross referencing with PluginDoctor to get the exact/maximum settings that worked and avoided the ringing (ringing also in the phase). Works really well actually, a nice tilt EQ using the shelves, some cut+boost type things with proportional Q, etc. But I still couldn't figure out why there was this terrible ringing when using frequencies lower than 100Hz but which extends much higher through the mids when other bands are engaged. Nothing really reduces it except using 11kHz sample rate in PD, which is not really helpful at all..

Well, I've worked it out. Something happened between the v1 releases and v2.1.0. Two shelves were added in that version and a few UI options, and something got broken. I found that by renaming the v1.3.0 version (just added a 1 to the filename) I could have both versions installed, and by golly if v1.3.0 doesn't have any ringing whatsoever!

[UPDATE: v2.0.1 is also fine, no ringing. I've now redownloaded and tested all the versions except v2.0.0, for some reason I couldn't get that one, but looks like that should be fine as well. All versions before v2.0.1 inclusive are fine. Must have been v2.1 where something broke. Great news as v2.0.1 has the shelves.]

Versions (Win32 + Win64)
v1.0.0 = GOOD
v1.0.1 = GOOD (says v1.0.0 on UI)
v1.1.0 = GOOD
v1.2.0 = GOOD
v1.2.1 = GOOD
v1.3.0 = GOOD
v2.0.0 = UNKNOWN
v2.0.1 = GOOD
v2.1.0 = RINGING
v2.1.1 = RINGING

Explains a few comments in the threads about the mids being the standouts and something funny happening in the lows.. It is so good to have the smooth lows back as they were when this was first released.

Please see the screenshots (Frequency and Phase).

I would say that anyone using Magpha now should NOT use v2.1.1 or v2.1.0 and if possible try to install v2.0.1 and replace any instances with it. Could be difficult in some situations but will be worth it.

For what it's worth, Magpha still has among the best analogue phase I've found (as advertised) after testing well over 20 EQs, including the MAAT Blue EQ which is well near or also at the top.

It's just a shame this is no longer being developed as I'm sure whatever was broken between v1 and v2 could have been addressed fairly easily.

Cheers and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin-magpha-v130-freq-msr-screenshot-333-.jpg   Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin-magpha-v130-v211-freq-msr-screenshot-334-.jpg   Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin-magpha-v130-v211-phase-msr-screenshot-335-.jpg   Balance Mastering Analog Magpha EQ Plugin-magpha-v211-freq-msr-screenshot-332-.jpg  

Last edited by Robo; 27th September 2021 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Updated with latest info
Old 11th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

PM if you’d like to sell your license.

I'm also looking for the v2.0.1 for the Mac if someone can help
Old 12th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Their website is back online, albeit unsecure, still a good sign
http://www.balancemastering.com/
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo ➡️
TO ALL STILL USING MAGPHA EQ:

Recently I've been looking at several EQs in PluginDoctor, one of them being Magpha. I knew this guy had some unwanted ringing but didn't quite realise how bad it was until testing the LF extensively with various curve interactions. I love this EQ so much I actually ended up making a series of parameter links in Reaper, cross referencing with PluginDoctor to get the exact/maximum settings that worked and avoided the ringing (ringing also in the phase). Works really well actually, a nice tilt EQ using the shelves, some cut+boost type things with proportional Q, etc. But I still couldn't figure out why there was this terrible ringing when using frequencies lower than 100Hz but which extends much higher through the mids when other bands are engaged. Nothing really reduces it except using 11kHz sample rate in PD, which is not really helpful at all..

Well, I've worked it out. Something happened between the v1 releases and v2.1.0. Two shelves were added in that version and a few UI options, and something got broken. I found that by renaming the v1.3.0 version (just added a 1 to the filename) I could have both versions installed, and by golly if v1.3.0 doesn't have any ringing whatsoever!

[UPDATE: v2.0.1 is also fine, no ringing. I've now redownloaded and tested all the versions except v2.0.0, for some reason I couldn't get that one, but looks like that should be fine as well. All versions before v2.0.1 inclusive are fine. Must have been v2.1 where something broke. Great news as v2.0.1 has the shelves.]

Versions (Win32 + Win64)
v1.0.0 = GOOD
v1.0.1 = GOOD (says v1.0.0 on UI)
v1.1.0 = GOOD
v1.2.0 = GOOD
v1.2.1 = GOOD
v1.3.0 = GOOD
v2.0.0 = UNKNOWN
v2.0.1 = GOOD
v2.1.0 = RINGING
v2.1.1 = RINGING

Explains a few comments in the threads about the mids being the standouts and something funny happening in the lows.. It is so good to have the smooth lows back as they were when this was first released.

Please see the screenshots (Frequency and Phase).

I would say that anyone using Magpha now should NOT use v2.1.1 or v2.1.0 and if possible try to install v2.0.1 and replace any instances with it. Could be difficult in some situations but will be worth it.

For what it's worth, Magpha still has among the best analogue phase I've found (as advertised) after testing well over 20 EQs, including the MAAT Blue EQ which is well near or also at the top.

It's just a shame this is no longer being developed as I'm sure whatever was broken between v1 and v2 could have been addressed fairly easily.

Cheers and enjoy!
Hey Robo,

Grrat find! Have you tried writing email to the developer showing this issue?

Where did you find the older versions? I think I had the actual version delivered into my email and not sure I can get other versions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart ➡️
Hey Robo,

Grrat find! Have you tried writing email to the developer showing this issue?

Where did you find the older versions? I think I had the actual version delivered into my email and not sure I can get other versions.
Hi kuulart,

I have indeed! No response.

I did have good communications with John back when it was active though, I think around 2019 though would have to check.

I still had my original email with a link to a page with all versions, it is still active and everything is downloadable.

Another Magpha thread here, it may have some other useful info:

Balance Analog Magpha EQ

Cheers!
Old 13th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Greatly appreciate your diligence!
Old 20th August 2022
Gear Maniac

All, does anyone have the installers for Magpha? Unfortunately it appears that the Balance Mastering domain has expired and is now parked on a generic landing page.

I'm looking to possibly migrate over to a Linux workflow and never managed to grab a Linux installer for it. And I never saved the macOS installer I downloaded (I never bought a proper license since they've been silent for a few years now and simply used it in its functional demo mode).

Really wish things had worked out for them.
Old 20th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane ➡️
All, does anyone have the installers for Magpha? Unfortunately it appears that the Balance Mastering domain has expired and is now parked on a generic landing page.

I'm looking to possibly migrate over to a Linux workflow and never managed to grab a Linux installer for it. And I never saved the macOS installer I downloaded (I never bought a proper license since they've been silent for a few years now and simply used it in its functional demo mode).

Really wish things had worked out for them.
John from Balance Mastering said the mastering service was ceasing but plugin development would continue - then completely disappeared.

It's disappointing they didn't gift it as legacy shareware to the world or sold on to another indie developer (like Tone Projects or Kazrog) to keep it alive.

In what way was this plugin unique and/or better than any other regular minimum phase EQ with a wider Q setting, anyway?

It's time to let go...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
[…]or sold on to another indie developer[…]
Can’t say much but you might not be too far off here..!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All, does anyone have the installers for Magpha?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxk...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15in...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 20th August 2022
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
All, does anyone have the installers for Magpha?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxk...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15in...w?usp=drivesdk
You're an absolute legend. Thank you.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
John from Balance Mastering said the mastering service was ceasing but plugin development would continue - then completely disappeared.

It's disappointing they didn't gift it as legacy shareware to the world or sold on to another indie developer (like Tone Projects or Kazrog) to keep it alive.

In what way was this plugin unique and/or better than any other regular minimum phase EQ with a wider Q setting, anyway?

It's time to let go...
Did some pretty deep testing vs the usual suspects -- Maat, Crave, Equilibrium and there was a smoothness there that seemed special. FF Pro Q3 could run circles around it workflow-wise but Magpha would definitely be in consideration for a desert island eq alongside Crave or DMG or TDR.

I read the whitepapers they referenced to create the eq and it was above my head and paygrade.

And as far as 'moving on'... I mean, they bothered to make a Linux build which is pretty amazing and would love to support them for that. I'm sure TDR or Crave will wrap just fine but if there's a native solution, why not?

Agreed on the legacy status for abandonware. I'm congratulating myself for not blowing $140 USD on a plugin that was abandoned, while simultaneously yelling inside for not buying a legit license while I had the chance.
Old 27th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're an absolute legend. Thank you.
Yes, the ringing is not present in these versions. But I wonder how I can have the demo-mode deactivated. I paid for the EQ and would appreciate using this revision. Any idea?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Bauer ➡️
Yes, the ringing is not present in these versions. But I wonder how I can have the demo-mode deactivated. I paid for the EQ and would appreciate using this revision. Any idea?
Do you have an email from the purchase? I'm not sure how they handled activation, I'm assuming with a license file. Their website didn't seem advanced enough at the time to have a user area where you could download a license or serial number... which is moot at this point since the website has gone away.

Unless you have the activation/license archived in your email, I'm thinking you might be sol :/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you have an email from the purchase? I'm not sure how they handled activation, I'm assuming with a license file. Their website didn't seem advanced enough at the time to have a user area where you could download a license or serial number... which is moot at this point since the website has gone away.

Unless you have the activation/license archived in your email, I'm thinking you might be sol :/
Exactly!

Raphael - if you have an email receipt that shows your purchase I’d be happy to send you the full version. Please send me a PM. (And please feel free to redact any unnecessary personal info except that which shows you purchased the software.)

Cheers!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Exactly!

Raphael - if you have an email receipt that shows your purchase I’d be happy to send you the full version. Please send me a PM. (And please feel free to redact any unnecessary personal info except that which shows you purchased the software.)

Cheers!
Thank you! God bless
Old 28th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did some pretty deep testing vs the usual suspects -- Maat, Crave, Equilibrium and there was a smoothness there that seemed special. FF Pro Q3 could run circles around it workflow-wise but Magpha would definitely be in consideration for a desert island eq alongside Crave or DMG or TDR.

I read the whitepapers they referenced to create the eq and it was above my head and paygrade.

And as far as 'moving on'... I mean, they bothered to make a Linux build which is pretty amazing and would love to support them for that. I'm sure TDR or Crave will wrap just fine but if there's a native solution, why not?

Agreed on the legacy status for abandonware. I'm congratulating myself for not blowing $140 USD on a plugin that was abandoned, while simultaneously yelling inside for not buying a legit license while I had the chance.
Give Kirchhoff a try. Imo the best sounding analog phase out of magpha, equilibrium and crave. I own them all. Magpha has a nice semi blurry roundness to it, but Kirchhoff is more open and way more flexible (also dynamic eq!)
Old 28th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Give Kirchhoff a try. Imo the best sounding analog phase out of magpha, equilibrium and crave. I own them all. Magpha has a nice semi blurry roundness to it, but Kirchhoff is more open and way more flexible (also dynamic eq!)
I need to give it another shake. I semi-bounced off the UI, I don't remember why. It did sound great.
Old 29th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Exactly!

Cheers!
Hi Robo, I see you deleted your reply to me above, but I got it in my inbox. I just want to say thank you for informing me. I didn't realise John had gone to such lengths (the white papers etc) to study EQ phase response - so I apologise for my ignorant comment about "time to move on". Perhaps this EQ really is something special, but most of us will now never know, which is a real shame.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Robo, I see you deleted your reply to me above, but I got it in my inbox. I just want to say thank you for informing me. I didn't realise John had gone to such lengths (the white papers etc) to study EQ phase response - so I apologise for my ignorant comment about "time to move on". Perhaps this EQ really is something special, but most of us will now never know, which is a real shame.
Keith—Crave EQ—did the same (deep study / testing of algorithms).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
Keith—Crave EQ—did the same (deep study / testing of algorithms).
That. As much as I love Magpha, you can get in extremely close territories with CraveEQ’s Analogue mode.
I’ve adopted the way Magpha divides the frequency spectum with other EQs, and I think it’s incredibly useful and musical. I hope the blog posts on that specific topic are still up.
Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
That. As much as I love Magpha, you can get in extremely close territories with CraveEQ’s Analogue mode.
I’ve adopted the way Magpha divides the frequency spectum with other EQs, and I think it’s incredibly useful and musical. I hope the blog posts on that specific topic are still up.
I have saved the blog posts as text files some time ago and could upload them, when I have time to search for them in my archive.

But I am uncertain, if John from Balance Mastering would be amused, when his valuable blog posts would be shared here. Hm..
Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Bauer ➡️
But I am uncertain, if John from Balance Mastering would be amused, when his valuable blog posts would be posted here. Hm..
Maybe as much as we are - when all he left us was alone...
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Not untrue. Without knowing about John's (Balance Mastering) background and reason, which might be severe and valid or not, I find it "a little" unprofessional and uncaring towards his customers (us) to dissappear without any notice and with his website being offline.

In that context I have not much restraint and am a little happy to be able to provide a fundamental part of his website and work.

Here are the two blog posts about "The significance of 632Hz".

Enjoy everyone and let's hope for a soonish return of Balance Mastering!

Raphael
Old 22nd October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi Guys,

If anyone has a license of Magpha's younger brother (the Spread Focus EQ) they wish to sell, please send me a PM.

Cheers
📝 Reply