Quantcast
RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter
Old 21st March 2018
Software RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter

RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter - Mathieu Demange

Dropped today - piqued my curiosity

Demos sound cool and price isn't bad - anyone jumped on this yet?

Legendary grit and crunch
Meet the RX950 Classic AD/DA Converter, our first effect plug-in, designed to perfectly mimic the whole AD/DA conversion process of the Akai S950 in order to give your music this vintage, warm and crunchy sound with the ease & flexibility of a VST/AU/RE.

Key features
Legendary 12-bit resolution
Perfect modelling of the S950's audio signal path
Adjustable audio bandwidth (and thus sampling frequency)
Original steep 6th-order low-pass Butterworth filter
Stereo or mono operation
Low CPU consumption
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yeah, that demo did sound very cool. They did a great job of showcasing this kind of effect.
Old 21st March 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Seems interesting, but no demo-version and paypal-option
Old 21st March 2018 | Show parent
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK74 ➡️
Seems interesting, but no demo-version and paypal-option
There is actually a fully functional 30 day RE demo in Propellerhead shop. But only for Reason users.

Anyway i am shocked how good this is. This is not yet another generic bitcrusher.

This things really add up sheen to the sound. Wow.
Old 21st March 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein
Anyway i am shocked how good this is. This is not yet another generic bitcrusher.
It has some bite, but in my opinion sounding not so rich like real 950; anyway it is difficult to form an opinion from soundclips, hope they will make demo for windows users too.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've talked to Mathieu and he said he will have a Paypal option. It may have been on youtube where someone said he didn't have it.

Got it now. This is something special. I put it in a mastering chain where it was kinda dull. This actually smoothed it out and made it more exciting at the same time. I kept the bandwidth at max and the frequency at max. Just increased the input very slightly. I could see how on individual instruments it would make more sense to experiment though. This is well worth the low price and much more.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This plugin just made my sonic life easier. Worth the money!!!
Old 21st March 2018
Deleted e71ab78
Got home, got it and it's well worth it. What a killer little plugin. Offers something different to Tal samplers DAC section, sounds great, nice price and low cpu.
This gives some real crunch and the filter is very nice and usable to my ears.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I see a paypal option. really tempting plugin!
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
interesting - makes me want to play with 12 bit dithers into this thing...
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds excellent, wish there was an AAX version. I emailed the dev asking, they said it was possible if there was sufficient interest.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very Cool!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought it and got the download links with a licence code, but when i start logic X and i can use the plugin without problems, but where must i enter the licence code...
or is it not needed?
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just bought it.

This was the demo that sold me. RX950 demo - Beat 2 by MD | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yep, my first impression is this was a great buy.

The input drive is great on drums. Can slam the **** out of things. Perhaps it's just because of how it's internally clipping but it really seems to make things punch. The Bandwidth control is great and plugin doctor shows how it makes the whole response undulate very interestingly, it's not static at all.

Worth noting that even at it's cleanest settings, max bandwidth and filter, it still darkens and rounds the tone a lot. This thing doesn't really do subtle.

I wish there was a gain compensation mode or BRA style right click drag the input drive lowers the output an equal amount.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➡️
sounds excellent, wish there was an AAX version. I emailed the dev asking, they said it was possible if there was sufficient interest.
Exactly I need AAX also. Now make an EPS / ASR10 / MPC3000 and I’ll be complete in life!!!!
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Developer is working on a fix for the VST. For me, the settings keep resetting upon each session bootup inside Patchwork like a demo. He said the serials aren't needed at the moment.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss ➡️
Developer is working on a fix for the VST. For me, the settings keep resetting upon each session bootup inside Patchwork like a demo. He said the serials aren't needed at the moment.
I need direct AAX port. Though I like patchwork I’m keeping it nicely in Protools. Don’t want NO problems.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ah ok, i will keep the codes, if they are needed later...

Another big VOTE for AAX...and a fix for patchwork
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Sounds great, instant buy, but I am wondering, is everyone always charged in Euro? Because a friend from the US just tried to buy it as well (VST version) and it´s trying to charge him €19 instead of $19 as mentioned on the site. I thought the payment processor auto-detects where people are from (like most others do too), but this does not seem to work correctly if he´s being asked to pay in € instead of $.

Apart from that, here is a great review of it that I´ve found on YouTube: Review | RX950 VST & RE | What You Know About This Akai S950 / MPC 60 Effect?
Old 22nd March 2018
Nice plugin

Sounds great!
Old 22nd March 2018
Reviews Editor

Nice plugin!

And +1 for AAX
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
AAX would be great and it did charge me in Euros too.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Does it model converter nonlinearities (e.g. differential nonlinearities) or is it ideal 12-bit discretization?
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Come on slutz , someones gotta do a comparision with the hardware.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just bought it and had a quick spin. Not bad. Not a 950 replacement, but not bad. What would be great is a mix dial!!!! Would make it untold more useful to me.
Old 22nd March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Just bought it and had a quick spin. Not bad. Not a 950 replacement, but not bad. What would be great is a mix dial!!!! Would make it untold more useful to me.
Most hosts have that out of the box already nowadays (e.g. Reaper), but I agree, for hosts that do not support that, it would be nice.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can somebody explain why they don't offer demo? Why should I have to pay just to try a plugin?
Old 22nd March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I must say, i like this plugin very much... There can be great results, when driving the input gain....
A link between input and output gain would be nice... this plugin is totally worth the price...
I hope there will be aax in the future... A question... Does the filter of the orginal hardware have no resonance....
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
As I can see there is no demo from their website. Should we take Gearslutz word to it and purchase? Those of you who are saying the plugin is amazing why don't you bring your mix or audio example to the table? considering the developer is not offering a trial. Please bring some audio demo or give a trial period. Bring something to talk about. "Wow this plugin is awesome" can't tell me how it behaves on my beloved DAW.
📝 Reply