The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crazy News: Neumann U67 reissue at Namm 2018
Old 10th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Why, have you got the stash of AC701 tubes handy?
On the Neumann forum Oliver says that you can replace the 701 with an ec70/71 tube. Just as good you just need to adjust the power supply.

On a side note you can practically eq the 269c to a u67. Mine is about 2dbs brighter then my u67, and a slight over all tonal shift which is prob the tube. But practically the same.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
On the Neumann forum Oliver says that you can replace the 701 with an ec70/71 tube. Just as good you just need to adjust the power supply.

On a side note you can practically eq the 269c to a u67. Mine is about 2dbs brighter then my u67, and a slight over all tonal shift which is prob the tube. But practically the same.
I'm just really psyched to see what Neumann/Sennheiser will offer but my answers are just rough guesses. I don't see it commanding a silly price tag like the vintage 2nd hand ones - my guess is somewhere around $4.5k - expensive enough to be prestigious but still semi-affordable to avoid scaring away the serious home studio crowd.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A U67 would have to be priced to compete with mics in the same market, like the Chandler REDD, so I would imagine more than $4k but less than $5k.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 ➡️
A U67 would have to be priced to compete with mics in the same market, like the Chandler REDD, so I would imagine more than $4k but less than $5k.
Telefunken completely ignored that memo, I would be surprised if Neumann cared either. You could be right, but I would be surprised! The M149 is a little over $5000, it's probably going to cost more than that.
Lives for gear

22 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Maybe WARM Audio will come out with a U67 clone--LOL.
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
and with the u47 fet re-issue at $4000 I really hope they won't go for doubling that
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marinelis ➡️
and with the u47 fet re-issue at $4000 I really hope they won't go for doubling that
Since a tube mic must have an external psu which means additional costs im quite sure it will be priced atleast 6k$. 8k wouldn't be to much but certainly pushing it. We'll see soon enough!
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Crazy News: Neumann U67 reissue at Namm 2018-u67.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Crazy News: Neumann U67 reissue at Namm 2018-u67.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Been told it will be right at $7k

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge ➡️
While we´re at wild guessing and speculating - maybe they just found new and steady supply for that alloy for the laminations.
According to Neumann at the time, the alloy used in some of the laminations was unavailable, period. They had a small supply of it and, when it was exhausted, the transformer could no longer be made exactly the same and the reissue was therefore discontinued.

Quite a display of integrity on the pre-Sennheiser company's part. They could have easily substituted the next best thing and most of us would have never known the difference, but they didn't. Not sure if we can expect the same rigorous level from the current regime.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
aj

Last edited by AuldLangSine; 30th January 2018 at 06:48 AM..

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 ➡️

Quite a display of integrity on the pre-Sennheiser company's part. They could have easily substituted the next best thing and most of us would have never known the difference, but they didn't. Not sure if we can expect the same rigorous level from the current regime.
actually sennheiser bought Neumann in 91. so the old 67 reissues were the current regime.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar ➡️
actually sennheiser bought Neumann in 91. so the old 67 reissues were the current regime.
Weren't those issued in 91? Because if they were, the change of guard would likely have had little to do with product development that had to have occurred prior to a 91 release and therefore prior to the takeover.

Of course this was not a per se product development since it was a reissue but it would still require planning, procurement, tooling, preparation, etc.

The point is that the "new regime" may have had little to do with the reissue or so it would seem.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
According to Neumann at the time, the alloy used in some of the laminations was unavailable, period. They had a small supply of it and, when it was exhausted, the transformer could no longer be made exactly the same and the reissue was therefore discontinued.

Fascinating idea that something like a metal alloy could simply disappear for the face of the earth. Presumably there was only one manufacturer, and they stopped producing it.

I see no reason why someone else should not produce the same alloy if the price is good enough. I can't be beyond analysis, and there are more vendors around making high value low volume specialty metals than there used to be.

Unless it contains unobtainum.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin ➡️
Fascinating idea that something like a metal alloy could simply disappear for the face of the earth. Presumably there was only one manufacturer, and they stopped producing it.

I see no reason why someone else should not produce the same alloy if the price is good enough. I can't be beyond analysis, and there are more vendors around making high value low volume specialty metals than there used to be.

Unless it contains unobtainum.
Unobtainium seems to be a common theme in old transformer material topics.....
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Environmental laws
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:

I think they *can* source vintage or vintage style lam that is essentially the same, from my understanding. You can still get that lam from at least a couple sources.

I'm more curious about what tubes they will be supplying with it.

But in any event, like or don't like the circuits they make with some newer mics, their quality level and consistency is not exceeded by any other company, that's for sure.
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, this took exactly five years-

I was just talking with Neuman about u67s

I'll be at Namm on setup days and will see if I can get info on the often-described disappearance of necessary components to make the 67. Wonder if Christopher is still with the company. I didn't notice last year.
Old 10th January 2018

🎧 15 years
This would be great, if true. Does anybody know if this is a "here to stay" re-issue, or limited run?

Next up, KM-86.

I hope this isn't a cruel joke.
Old 11th January 2018

🎧 10 years
Available at all good audio equipment suppliers from April the 1st 2018.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If anyone can do it right, Neumann Can.

Also live or die by the price point. I'm sure it won't be cheap.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What was the original price of the original U67? And the original U87? Made the equivalence nowadays.
Old 11th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➡️
What was the original price of the original U67? And the original U87? Made the equivalence nowadays.
The U67 SLO reissues was listed for $5000 in 1992.

in 2018 money that would be $8790
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucklehound ➡️
Environmental laws
Do you know what the problem element was? ( Just curious).

I only know of one instance where material concerns actually halted production of an audio device, and that was the last Shure V15 cartridge, that used highly toxic beryllium somewhere in the works.
Old 11th January 2018

🎧 15 years
I don't believe it was environmental concerns. As I recall, the actual metallurgy was no longer available commercially and at that point there was no way to recreate it that made even remote economic sense. So, yeah, unobtanium.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't believe it was environmental concerns. As I recall, the actual metallurgy was no longer available commercially and at that point there was no way to recreate it that made even remote economic sense. So, yeah, unobtanium.
Yup, scale issue in economic realities more than environmental thing me thinks.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If this news is true, and Neumann does it right, like the U47fet, I’ll sell a few things to pick up a stereo pair. Let’s hope the price is fair.
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
RGO is saying $6999
Old 12th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
Well, this took exactly five years-

I was just talking with Neuman about u67s

I'll be at Namm on setup days and will see if I can get info on the often-described disappearance of necessary components to make the 67. Wonder if Christopher is still with the company. I didn't notice last year.
That would be awesome. I hope these mics are done right!
Old 12th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen ➡️
That would be awesome. I hope these mics are done right!
Stephen Paul did not like the Slo reissue he said it was like comparing a u87 and u87ai. Im guessing cheap u87 box and completely different powersupply. Maybe it will come with a hardcase but probably not.
📝 Reply