The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Sky EXO 2.1 System
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blue Sky EXO 2.1 System

Saw this on the MF website:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=602003
Similar specs to the MediaDesk system, but w/ less overall wattage (135 vs 160; though 90 in the subwoofer vs. 60 for the MediaDesk), smaller drivers (3" vs 4"), smaller price tag ($350 vs. $500).
Anyone know anything about these? I know the Mediadesk 2.1 system has been well received...
Old 9th April 2007
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In my experience with bigger 2.1 BlueSky speaker systems.... they were very inarticulate in the lo-mids and bass.....

I would think that these would be even worse....

If I were you, I'd just get a halfway decent pair of stereo speakers......

I generally dont like 2.1 setups.... as I can hear a real loss of clarity in the bottom end.

YMMV

Old 9th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow.. Mixer- I have had the opposite with the System One line. I bought the 5.1 System One set during the "Pro Toolers! Try us out!" offer some years ago. The customer service was exemplary, and I love the monitors (obviously I kept/bought them). I was choosing between Genelecs, Dynaudios, and one other set (cannot recall which offhand). No offense to Blue Sky, but the only set I fund that I would have chosen instead was the Adams line...but, I would have paid 3-4x's the price (I believe I worked out something arond $10K+ for something comparable).

Only problem I have had with the Blue Sky system was that I listened to a few fav CD's via them. And now I cannot listen to them without hearing the glaring problems in the mixes... I thought it was me or the Blue Sky's at first...until I listened to Pink Floyd "DSOTM" and realized it wasn't the monitors heh

Maybe the smaller systems came up short?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hello All:

I posted our press-release in another topic on this Gearslutz forum. Sorry, I didn't see this topic first...

https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?t=118479

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always tell people to use 2.1 systems because mixing without hearing under 80Hz is like driving a car at night with no headlights. Ok that metaphor sucked but I've recommended the Blue Skies to a few people, one who sent me a gift basket because he was so happy about how much his mixes improved.
Old 10th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Guys,

Does anybody know the advantages of non-ported speakers (BlueSky) over the ported design like A7.BAsed on Pascal's description on the website the ported design is better but I'd love to hear from actual users.Actually I want to decide between 5x A7s +HSU sub and the BlueSky 5.1

thx
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
to me a stereo system that uses a sub is always a huge compromise, due to overlapping bass frequencies... and crossover issues.

just my 2c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
to me a stereo system that uses a sub is always a huge compromise, due to overlapping bass frequencies... and crossover issues.
plz elaborate

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➡️

just my 2c
In the other hand, how much do you have to pay for a decent and real full range?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
If it's well calibrate (time, phase, level and frequency), it can be effective. Despite several claims that it shouldn't change anything, I also found that the sub has to be positioned at equidistance from the satellite.<o:p></o:p>
I also noticed that a subwoofer can be dangerous by hiding a lack of bass (between 60 and 200 hz), so you better check your mix on nearfields, otherwise you might end up with a bass shy mix on a smaller system…
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi ➡️
plz elaborate

We cover a lot of the common misconceptions about bass-management and subwoofers in an article that was published in a recent edition of Resolution magazine. The article is also available via our website:

Studio Monitors: When is “good enough”, no longer “good enough”?

A common misconception about subwoofers

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly - [email protected]

Cheers! heh
Old 11th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up Looking forward to NAB

Pascal,
Congrats on the booth at NAB! See you and Chris there.
Brad Mcilvaine
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1150post ➡️
Pascal,
Congrats on the booth at NAB! See you and Chris there.
Brad Mcilvaine
Hey Brad:

We are actually exhibiting on the Harris Corporation booth. Chris Fichera will be there, but I am not sure if I am going to make it or not...

Cheers!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I'll look for Chris, thanks.

Please let him know I'll be around. I've got his number as well.

Cheers!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1150post ➡️
Please let him know I'll be around. I've got his number as well.

Cheers!

Done!
Old 19th May 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Has anyone tryed out the EXO's yet?

Thanks -

D -
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oortnyc ➡️
Has anyone tryed out the EXO's yet?

Thanks -

D -
We have just started full production, so deliveries to retailers aren't expected to arrive until June. We have more than a few pilot run units out in the field for review and evaluation, but I doubt you will find many end user reviews.

I do have system here in my home office (pictured below) and I think it is a phenomenal system, but you are probably looking for a somewhat less biased review...

Please note that the the logo on the SATs has been reduced in size on the actual production units

Cheers!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that they weren't shipping yet.
I think that these may be perfect for a small rig that I am setting up.
I am in NYC, so if you know of a place that I can listen or buy asap it would be appreciated.

Thanks -

D -
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that they weren't shipping yet.
I think that these may be perfect for a small rig that I am setting up.
I am in NYC, so if you know of a place that I can listen or buy asap it would be appreciated.

Thanks -

D -
Guitar Center should have inventory at most, if not all of their retail locations, in June - along with other retailers. So, that will probably be your best bet in the NYC area. The first containers are shipping now and I will update this post when product begins to arrive at retail.

Cheers!
Old 25th May 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey the mistake I made about Blue Sky was not understanding they have two differant models named 2.1.

2.1 Media is a watered down verision of the 2.1 Pro.

Once I had this understood the reviews and comments became clear. The Pro 2.1 is an awasome system where as the 2.1 Media system is more for home computer recording use.

The wattage and speaker sizes differ between the two, 2.1 units.

I just ordered the Pro system.

-jim
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
So what exactly is the difference between the 2 systems?
I like the monitor controller of the EXO and the extra inputs, the other system doesn't seem to offer that.

D -
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So what exactly is the difference between the 2 systems?
I like the monitor controller of the EXO and the extra inputs, the other system doesn't seem to offer that.

D -
Hello oortnyc:

I just thought I would chime in...

First, we currently manufacture five systems:

Big Blue - mid-field / 2.1 to 10.2
Sky System One - nearfield / 2.1 to 10.2
ProDesk - compact nearfield / 2.1 to 10.2
MediaDesk - workstation / 'micro' nearfield / 2.1 or 5.1
EXO - workstation / 'micro' nearfield / 2.1

Here are the differences between MediaDesk and EXO:

EXO is a new product that is certainly inspired by MediaDesk, but is a completely new design. It is more compact, includes the EXO HUB and is targeted specifically at the desktop stereo monitoring market. Below is a short list of differences between EXO and MediaDesk:
  • Tweeter: 1" soft dome Neodymium (new design)
  • Mid/Woofer: A new 3" Neodymium hemispherical, as compared to a 4" mid/woofer in MediaDesk
  • SAT Power Amplifier: 35 Watts per channel, as compared to 65-Watts in MediaDesk.
  • SAT cabinet size has been reduced considerably (see link manual below).
  • 8 Subwoofer driver: The 8" subwoofer driver is the same unit that is used in MediaDesk.
  • Subwoofer Power Amplifier: 90-Watts / class D, as compared to 65-Watts in MediaDesk
  • Subwoofer cabinet size has been reduced considerably (see link to manual below).
  • Inputs and controls: All inputs and controls for EXO are located on the wired remote "HUB" and all inputs can be used simultaneously.

Another major difference between EXO and MediaDesk, is that MediaDesk is easily upgradeable to 5.1 and because of this includes a very large transformer, along with additional electronics and wiring. These items are not necessary in EXO, which is designed purely for stereo applications. Although it is theoretically possible to design an upgrade kit for EXO, the current system is not burdened with the additional items and costs relating to this.

Link to the EXO Manual

I hope this helps clarify things a little...

Cheers!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info. It would be nice to have hub option on the Media system.

D -
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info. It would be nice to have hub option on the Media system.

D -
noted.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Sijen ➡️
We cover a lot of the common misconceptions about bass-management and subwoofers in an article that was published in a recent edition of Resolution magazine. The article is also available via our website:

Studio Monitors: When is “good enough”, no longer “good enough”?

A common misconception about subwoofers

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly - [email protected]

Cheers! heh
I am under no "misconceptions" - all I know is what I have heard with listening to 2.1 systems, then better 2.0 systems in the exact same room.... I MUCH prefer a better 2.0 system to any 2.1 system that I have ever heard.

I do not like the sound of the BlueSky systems that I have heard. I'm sorry, but that is my opinion. Some people love them.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am under no "misconceptions" - all I know is what I have heard with listening to 2.1 systems, then better 2.0 systems in the exact same room.... I MUCH prefer a better 2.0 system to any 2.1 system that I have ever heard.

I do not like the sound of the BlueSky systems that I have heard. I'm sorry, but that is my opinion. Some people love them.

The 'misconceptions post' has nothing to do with your opinion, but with the statement you posted trying to validate your opinion - which was neither technically specific, nor was it accurate.

Having said that, we can't please everyone and we always recommend people evaluate the systems themselves, so they can be the judge.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 'misconceptions post' has nothing to do with your opinion, but with the statement you posted trying to validate your opinion - which was neither technically specific, nor was it accurate.

Having said that, we can't please everyone and we always recommend people evaluate the systems themselves, so they can be the judge.

Cheers!
How can my OPINION not be accurate?

I was clear - it was my OPINION.

tutt
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How can my OPINION not be accurate?

I was clear - it was my OPINION.

tutt
Your opinion is you don't like 'X' about the product, however what you used as the reason...

Quote:
...due to overlapping bass frequencies... and crossover issues.
...is why I responded. Most studio monitors have crossovers, most crossover are not brick wall filters - so there are always overlapping frequencies. Saying you don't like 'X' about a speaker is your opinion, saying it is because of 'Y', is something you will have to prove, or explain more clearly.

Having said that; you have every right to your opinion and you have made it clear in more than a few posts, that you don't like our products. Fair enough - such is life.

Have nice holiday weekend.

Cheers!
Old 26th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Your opinion is you don't like 'X' about the product, however what you used as the reason...

...is why I responded. Most studio monitors have crossovers, most crossover are not brick wall filters - so there are always overlapping frequencies. Saying you don't like 'X' about a speaker is your opinion, saying it is because of 'Y', is something you will have to prove, or explain more clearly.

Having said that; you have every right to your opinion and you have made it clear in more than a few posts, that you don't like our products. Fair enough - such is life.

Have nice holiday weekend.

Cheers!
I think I was pretty clear and concise in my earlier post when I said:

“In my experience with bigger 2.1 BlueSky speaker systems.... they were very inarticulate in the lo-mids and bass.....

I would think that these (small satellites, inexpensive) would be even worse....

I generally dont like 2.1 setups.... as I can hear a real loss of clarity in the bottom end.”

I’m not sure how this isn’t clear to anyone.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think I was pretty clear and concise in my earlier post when I said:

“In my experience with bigger 2.1 BlueSky speaker systems.... they were very inarticulate in the lo-mids and bass.....

I would think that these (small satellites, inexpensive) would be even worse....

I generally dont like 2.1 setups.... as I can hear a real loss of clarity in the bottom end.”

I’m not sure how this isn’t clear to anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our product, I am sorry that you didn't agree with our many thousands of other users...

... like I said in previous post, I recommend that each potential customer compare and decide for themselves.

Cheers! heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our product, I am sorry that you didn't agree with our many thousands of other users...

... like I said in previous post, I recommend that each potential customer compare and decide for themselves.

Cheers! heh
Yeah - I’ve taken the time to evaluate the hamburgers at McDonalds.... many thousands of people like them, but I think they are crap. I think the ingredients are junk, and they just taste awful.

However In-n-Out burgers (in my opinion) are fresher, and tastier. Lots of people agree with me.

Yes - that is the sort of smart-ass response you’ll get from me when you tell me (see your post above) that my opinions aren’t “accurate” (your word, not mine)

📝 Reply