The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic
Old 7th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The C100 is dope, I'll say again. My C800g is in the case. I've recorded Lil Wayne, Mannie Fresh, Juvenile, Benny The Butcher and so many more with it. Here's a pic of Pharell and Kendrick Lamar using it during a session.....Don't sleep on it! We call it the Baby C800g round here.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic-attachment-1.png  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo ➡️
The C100 is dope, I'll say again. My C800g is in the case. I've recorded Lil Wayne, Mannie Fresh, Juvenile, Benny The Butcher and so many more with it. Here's a pic of Pharell and Kendrick Lamar using it during a session.....Don't sleep on it! We call it the Baby C800g round here.
Awesome. Do you remember which song Lil Wayne used the c100 on? Would love to listen as a reference.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 ➡️
Awesome. Do you remember which song Lil Wayne used the c100 on? Would love to listen as a reference.
Carter 5 "Famous" is one that comes to mind and a few more. Originally recorded with a C800g and comped with a C100 on the lead. And some unreleased stuff also
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Carter 5 "Famous" is one that comes to mind and a few more. Originally recorded with a C800g and comped with a C100 on the lead. And some unreleased stuff also
Perfect-thank you
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!
Loving my C100 too, but thinking of getting a tube preamp...

What did you use as preamp with your C100?
Old 8th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
what do you mean with lead? Just the hook or the verses too?
I think his voice sounds a little harsh there but its probably his
voice that has that tone.

Man Don't Cry is my fav from that album would be super crazy if he used the c100 there!

Would be interesting to know what song/s you recorded Benny The Butcher with or Kendrick.
Old 10th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods ➡️
Thanks for sharing!
Loving my C100 too, but thinking of getting a tube preamp...

What did you use as preamp with your C100?
I used the BAE 1073 to CL1B to Pultec chain. Love it
Old 10th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie ➡️
what do you mean with lead? Just the hook or the verses too?
I think his voice sounds a little harsh there but its probably his
voice that has that tone.

Man Don't Cry is my fav from that album would be super crazy if he used the c100 there!

Would be interesting to know what song/s you recorded Benny The Butcher with or Kendrick.
The lead is a mixture of both the C800g and C100. Some backgrouds are both also...all comped together.....I've never worked with Kendrick. Benny's stuff is unreleased except "10 Wins' a feature for Charlie Hustle & Dboy Lac.
Old 11th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The lead is a mixture of both the C800g and C100. Some backgrouds are both also...all comped together.....I've never worked with Kendrick. Benny's stuff is unreleased except "10 Wins' a feature for Charlie Hustle & Dboy Lac.
Thanks for that info. Its really great to see what you're doing.
I knew you were part of Buck's Buck the world album on track 2.
Great album.
Did you recorded Benny's vers with both the c100 and c800g together too?
Oh and that photo above is from your studio or pharell's?
Old 11th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I used the BAE 1073 to CL1B to Pultec chain. Love it
Thanks!
Old 13th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie ➡️
Thanks for that info. Its really great to see what you're doing.
I knew you were part of Buck's Buck the world album on track 2.
Great album.
Did you recorded Benny's vers with both the c100 and c800g together too?
Oh and that photo above is from your studio or pharell's?
You know your history..lol Thanks man. Benny was just C100. That is a spot Pharell works out of not mines.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I’ve been using the c-100 into a Great River Me-1nv mic pre , then into a WA2A comp. I was using a u87ai & Mojave Ma-300 prior to the Sony c-100. I definitely like the Sony better for vocals (rap mostly) but sometimes I still use the u87 when I feel the c-100 is a little to glossy and clean (if that makes sense lol ). I sold the Mojave mic.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
You know your history..lol Thanks man. Benny was just C100. That is a spot Pharell works out of not mines.
thanks for info.
so some known rappers/producers book you as an engineer to some different places to work with you?
That's really cool man.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It’s a really good mic for the money, that’s for sure.
Been using a BAE 1073 to an Avalon 737 and/or Cl1b with good results, the Avalon’s HPF and EQ (highs) come in handy. Would love to try a tube pre one day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Has anyone here had issues with their c100 and ground hum?

I got one off ebay for a good price but it has a nasty ground hum issue. I tested another condenser mic with the same cables / preamps and even tried with a battery operated preamp, the zoom h6. Ironically with the h6 it sounded the worst -- not only was it ground hum but there seemed to be some higher frequency harmonics with the ground hum that were not present on the wall powered preamps.

Im planning to send it in to sony for service but was wondering if anybody had experienced anything?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyChuck ➡️
Has anyone here had issues with their c100 and ground hum?

I got one off ebay for a good price but it has a nasty ground hum issue. I tested another condenser mic with the same cables / preamps and even tried with a battery operated preamp, the zoom h6. Ironically with the h6 it sounded the worst -- not only was it ground hum but there seemed to be some higher frequency harmonics with the ground hum that were not present on the wall powered preamps.

Im planning to send it in to sony for service but was wondering if anybody had experienced anything?
Been common with em. I just move it around a bit and switch the polarity back and forth until it stops. If you find anything let me know.
Gear Head
Quote:
Been common with em. I just move it around a bit and switch the polarity back and forth until it stops. If you find anything let me know.
Okay good thanks for letting me know I’m not crazy.

Btw have you tried using an XLR cable with grounded shells? If not, Read on below…

I mind had a really bad ground hum that would appear anytime I touched the mesh grill.

I was almost going to send it in to Sony immediately for repair. Even filled out a repair ticket.

I had been using mogami gold xlr cables and also pro co cables from sweetwater and LiveWire elite cables from guitar center. Had ground hum on all of them.

I made a post in the high end forum prior to my comment here and someone gave me the advice to ground an XLR cable to the shell. I assumed they meant only at the microphone end but they meant both ends.

I do have a soldering iron so I opened up the connectors on my cables and saw that none of my cables have pin 4 (the connector shell) connected to the ground wire.

Seems like there’s no industry standard on using pin4 for ground or not. I double checked the C100 manual and sure enough it said to use a cable that has grounded shells.

So… that makes me wonder if this is actually just a symptom of using cables without grounded shells, or cables that aren’t up to Sony’s specs for the mic!

Unfortunately I don’t have any copper wire to solder them up myself and check but I did call redco and special order a cable with grounded shells. I asked them to ground both end shells.

I am going to try and get some copper wire in the meantime and experiment with grounding just the female shell that goes to the mic as well
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyChuck ➡️
Okay good thanks for letting me know I’m not crazy.

Btw have you tried using an XLR cable with grounded shells? If not, Read on below…

I mind had a really bad ground hum that would appear anytime I touched the mesh grill.

I was almost going to send it in to Sony immediately for repair. Even filled out a repair ticket.

I had been using mogami gold xlr cables and also pro co cables from sweetwater and LiveWire elite cables from guitar center. Had ground hum on all of them.

I made a post in the high end forum prior to my comment here and someone gave me the advice to ground an XLR cable to the shell. I assumed they meant only at the microphone end but they meant both ends.

I do have a soldering iron so I opened up the connectors on my cables and saw that none of my cables have pin 4 (the connector shell) connected to the ground wire.

Seems like there’s no industry standard on using pin4 for ground or not. I double checked the C100 manual and sure enough it said to use a cable that has grounded shells.

So… that makes me wonder if this is actually just a symptom of using cables without grounded shells, or cables that aren’t up to Sony’s specs for the mic!

Unfortunately I don’t have any copper wire to solder them up myself and check but I did call redco and special order a cable with grounded shells. I asked them to ground both end shells.

I am going to try and get some copper wire in the meantime and experiment with grounding just the female shell that goes to the mic as well
Thanks for that. I'll try with Redco myself also.
📝 Reply