Quantcast
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899

Discrete 4 is a new interface from Antelope Audio. It features 4 fully discrete microphone preamps and exceptional converters, clocking, monitoring and FPGA powered FX for microphone modeling, mic preamp modeling, Vintage EQ’s and Compressors, as well as Guitar FX and an excellent monitoring reverb called AuraVerb

Price: $899

Optional Bundle with Edge Mic

Bringing All-Star Technology & Performance to a new audience
Antelope Audio’s Discrete 4 Microphone Preamp Interface brings a new level of sound quality and power to home studios and mobile recordists. It comes with 4 console grade 6-transistor discrete preamps, 121 db dynamic range conversion and rock solid clocking. Discrete 4 features all of the Antelope Audio premier real-time FPGA FX, including authentic models of iconic gear from BAE, Lang, Gyraf Audio and many more.
The Antelope AFX platform is based on a rapidly expanding hardware modeling engine. Discrete 4 includes Accusonic microphone and preamp models, guitar amps, transformer and tube FX, and a huge selection of classic vintage gear, which are now accessible in the DAW via the new ConnectAFX Plugin.
Discrete 4 is a 14in/20out interface featuring 4 analog ins, 4 analog line outs, stereo monitor outs, and 4 headphone outs. Additional digital connectivity comes on S/PDIF, 2-ADAT’s.
An Entire Signal Path of Customizable Sonic Excellence

Discrete 4 was developed after an extensive research of legendary microphone preamp circuitry. Its console-grade and fully discrete preamps were hand designed to offer world-class sound. The powerful Antelope Audio FPGA engine can transform these already expensive sounding Accusonic preamps into several classic units via Tube, Transformer and FET based circuitry and it's all happening real-time.

Both the engineer and the performer can instantly hear the authentic blends of 10 different mic preamps without any latency or annoying comb filtering. The microphone source can be recorded with and without Accusonic modeling. This allows the engineer to choose between preamp models during mixing. The entire signal path was designed for optimal sound with any microphone and it really shines with Antelope’s new Edge and Verge microphones. These new microphones were specially designed for the Discrete 4 preamps and feature matching discrete electronics.

The real-time FPGA platform offers a complete professional studio experience – Microphones, Preamps, Conversion, Compressors, EQs, Reverb and latency free Monitoring. All this backed up by Antelope's signature Clocking combined into one unified system with instantly recallable Presets. You can even load AFX Presets from VIP Masters with their favorite combinations of FPGA FX that are used daily on their own award-winning mixes.

Monitor FX During Tracking – ConnectAFX Plugin For The Mix
Antelope Audio FPGA technology powers 50+ premier real-time FX. Use them within the Discrete 4 EasyPanel or in a DAW via the new ConnectAFX Plugin. Antelope Audio users will enjoy authentic hardware-based FPGA models of classic studio equipment. These not only sound but respond just like real hardware thanks to the unit's component-based modeling platform.
Plug in your guitar directly into one of the hi-Z enabled inputs and instantly sculpt your tone with some of the most iconic guitar amps and cabinets around. Then add vintage compression, EQ and AuraVerb to hear a finished studio quality result with real-time responsiveness while playing through your preferred amp, cabinet and microphone combination. Perform and record either with FX or your direct input and process later using the integrated guitar effects.

Guitar Amps
· Burnsphere (DE)
· Marcus II (US)
· Overange 120 (UK)
· Tweed Deluxe
· Top30
· Darkface
· Modern
· Plexi 59
· Rock 75
· Rock 22.10

EQ Legends
· VEQ-55b
· VEQ-STU 089
· VEQ-STU 169
· VEQ-STU 900
· VEQ HA32C
· BAE 1023
· BAE 1084
· NEU-W492
· NEU-W495
· NEU-PEV
· VEQ-4K Series
· VEQ-4K Black
· VEQ-4K Brown
· VEQ-4K Pink
· VEQ-4K Orange
· BAE-1073
· VEQ-HLF
· VEQ-1A
· VMEQ-5
· VEQ-55A
· Lang PEQ2
· UK-69
· ClearQ

Vintage Compressors
· X903
· VCA160
· Gyraf Gyratec X
· Tube176
· Grove Hill Liverpool
· FET-A76
· FET-A78
· ALT-436C
· BA-6A
· SMT-100A
· Stay-Levin
· TubeChild670
· Power EX
· Power Gate
· Feedforward Compressor

Reverb
· AuraVerb

A Breakthrough Discrete Microphone Preamp Design

Traditionally, interface preamps are comprised of only 2 transistors, which makes them a hybrid between transistors and IC chips. Antelope Audio incorporates a fully discrete design consisting of 6 accurately matched transistors, yet maintaining the advantages of digital control and repeatability of gain levels. Field effect transistors add an expensive-sounding touch of warmth and naturalness to the sound. Bipolar transistors keep THD and noise extremely low, which is quite uncommon in a discrete design.

Antelope’s console grade 6-transistor discrete preamp is exceptionally unique. The Discrete 4 mic preamps were the first step of the device design process. Unlike other units where mic preamps are added to the interface, the Discrete 4 preamps are actually what the device is centered around.

Clocking Is The Center Of The Antelope Universe
For 25 years, Igor Levin has led the world in pro audio clocking technologies. His proprietary clocking techniques and secret jitter management algorithms have been at the core of the Antelope sound in all of their products.
The Discrete 4 is no exception. In fact, this mic preamp interface is a professional clocking solution in its own right. It features Antelope’s 4th Generation 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) technology from the highly acclaimed Trinity, OCX HD, LiveClock, Pure2, Goliath, Orion, and Zen products. Discrete 4 comes Two WC outputs allow you to distribute clock to your other digital gear and mic preamps in your setup connected via ADAT and S/PDIF. Discrete 4 will make sure all your gear is perfectly synced.
Expert Monitoring With Ease For Both Pros and Beginners

Discrete 4 has a comprehensive and easy to set up Monitoring and Talkback section. A band can have up to 4 individual monitoring mixes with FPGA FX included sent to it’s 4 Headphone Outs. The engineer can make custom headphone mixes for each performer. Effects can be included to allow artists to hear sound closer to what will be on the record.

Users can create custom presets to easily setup various tracking scenarios in a snap. The front panel features an assignable monitor volume knob to control level of the Stereo Outs and individual Headphone Outs. Metering is viewable on the front panel display, inside the EasyPanel and also via the remote App.

A Rapidly Growing Audio Interface Platform

Discrete 4 can save and load AFX presets and exchange settings with the entire Antelope line of FPGA equipped pro audio interfaces. This means that you can share your own FX settings with other Antelope users and load professionally programmed stacks of FX from the Pros. This makes Discrete 4 a great option for both new users and existing Antelope owners, who use a second rig for touring or travel. This helps users leave their current studio untouched when on the road or doing session work outside their own facility.
Remote Control via IOS and Android Phones or Tablets
Use the Discrete 4 downloadable remote App to adjust all microphone input levels, Talkback levels, as well as Monitoring and Headphone volumes remotely. Musicians can control their own headphone volume with their phones and the engineer can check input levels from the tracking room.

Last edited by Clybourne; 10th October 2017 at 12:18 PM..
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
more links

On sale already at Sweetwater HERE

Last edited by Clybourne; 2nd October 2017 at 08:01 AM..
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are several discrete 4/8 units daisy chainable?
Old 2nd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ ➡️
are several discrete 4/8 units daisy chainable?
Via the ADAT connectors and there's a pulldown to switch between multiple units in the panel, as with all our products.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne ➡️
Via the ADAT connectors and there's a pulldown to switch between multiple units in the panel, as with all our products.
Thank you.

Does that mean that the maximum setup would be two Discrete 8 linked via ADAT which wold give you 16 channels of mic pre to record simultaneously?

Or is there a way to use say, three or four Discrete 8s with all of their inputs available to record to tracks on the same computer simultaneously?

It seems to me like an interesting product line if the user would be able to add channels as need grows.

Thanks for your time!
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very nice form factor.
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear
I am still curious, what is the connection between the mics and the two Discretes and is there any at all... Anyone?
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Head
@ marcel , is the microphone emulation software going to be available for the rest of interfaces as well? For example Orion Studio?
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wait, 4 analog outs, and 4 headphone outs??? did i read that correctly??
And i'm guessing this is USB 2.0 instead of 3.0, 3.1, or thunderbolt??

Maybe my Prism Lyra can actually take a break for a bit
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub ➡️

thunderbolt
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon ➡️
thunderbolt

Nice, i'm actually interested in this... would love to finally get my hands on an Antelope interface and compare the workflow to my Lyra.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thunderbolt 2 and USB2.

Thanks for your interest!
Marcel
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thunderbolt 2 and USB2.

Thanks for your interest!
Marcel
Awesome, thanks!! And the Thunderbolt 2 drivers will be compatible with PC out the box, or would i have to wait a bit??
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What would be the latency connected via thunderbolt..?
At this price range, it might be one of the best thunderbolt interface option.. plenty of OUTs.. multi headphone's out..
Need a comparo with Apogee Element 24/48.. quality soundwise..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Awesome, thanks!! And the Thunderbolt 2 drivers will be compatible with PC out the box, or would i have to wait a bit??
It depends on the speed of our driver development. It's underway. It may be briefly after product ship date, we'll have to keep you posted on that. USB driver will be available for sure, in the meantime.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Can anyone explain how this differs from the Zen Tour? I own a Zen Tour and really like it, for the record!!!

I'm new to recording and also recently had a baby so my brain isn't functioning at its best (lack of sleep). Why is the Zen almost twice as expensive as the Discrete 4?

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARawls ➡️
Can anyone explain how this differs from the Zen Tour? I own a Zen Tour and really like it, for the record!!!

I'm new to recording and also recently had a baby so my brain isn't functioning at its best (lack of sleep). Why is the Zen almost twice as expensive as the Discrete 4?

Thanks.
Zen Tour has switchable monitors. Full AFX included (16 vs. 2, unless you upgrade Discrete 4 to full version for more money) and Tour has Reamp outs and 10 analog outs vs. 6, along with 2x ADAT ins/outs vs. 1x for D4.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Zen Tour has switchable monitors. Full AFX included (16 vs. 2, unless you upgrade Discrete 4 to full version for more money) and Tour has Reamp outs and 10 analog outs vs. 6, along with 2x ADAT ins/outs vs. 1x for D4.
Discrete 4 sounds great, but can you explain AFX 16 vs 2 (is that processing power or is it regarding included plugins?)
Another thing I´m curious about - can the main outs + 4 line outs be used in a 5.1 monitor setup?
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm curious about the quality/sound of the DI on these units... and what the input impededence of the input when using the DI might be.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARawls ➡️

Thanks.
To add to Marcel, the discrite4 also has lower specs on the conversion that the Zen tour. The monitor DA is 121 dB vs 129 for the zen tour.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 ➡️
To add to Marcel, the discrite4 also has lower specs on the conversion that the Zen tour. The monitor DA is 121 dB vs 129 for the zen tour.
No, the 129 is the Monitor Outs DA of Zen Tour. I will confirm tomorrow, but I believe the Monitor Outs of Discrete 4 and 8 is 124. It's not as far as you present it. And I've heard it, it's great so worrying about a few db's is an over reaction.
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Discrete 4 video

In case you didn't see this added in the OP.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, the 129 is the Monitor Outs DA of Zen Tour. I will confirm tomorrow, but I believe the Monitor Outs of Discrete 4 and 8 is 124. It's not as far as you present it. And I've heard it, it's great so worrying about a few db's is an over reaction.
The site says 121 so might get that checked cause if it is 124 on the monitor out like you said, that Is good new for me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 ➡️
The site says 121 so might get that checked cause if it is 124 on the monitor out like you said, that Is good new for me
121 is the DSUB outputs.

There are two DA's, the DSUB Line Outs and the Monitor Outs (2 channels stereo).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
121 is the DSUB outputs.

There are two DA's, the DSUB Line Outs and the Monitor Outs (2 channels stereo).
Ok, you should really edit the site because it says 118 for the d-subs and 121 for the monitor da and the ad converters. But hope you are right and it has the same specs as the dicrete 8.
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
physical pic

Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi Marcel,

would be posible to use the new mics with the Zen Tour ... ?

Regards.
Old 3rd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecTrick ➡️
Hi Marcel,

would be posible to use the new mics with the Zen Tour ... ?

Regards.
Accusonic will be ported to the other FPGA powered interfaces as well, which has been previously announced.
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Beating Metric Halo to the punch?
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are these preamps better than the zen tour?
📝 Reply