Quantcast
MAAT audio releases DRMeter Plugin - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAAT audio releases DRMeter Plugin
Old 17th June 2017
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
MAAT audio releases DRMeter Plugin

In collaboration with Friedemann Tischmeyer
"Friedemann Tischmeyer, President of MAAT Inc, has traveled a difficult and often unpopular road, promoting sensible dynamic range control. “Back in 2007, our industry was at the peak of the loudness wars, and I remember that I was annoyed about receiving too many overly compressed and limited mixes (for mastering). I thought, ‘My gosh, why don’t we have a simple integer number to describe relevant dynamic range?’”
https://gallery.mailchimp.com/be1287...d46cc57505.jpg

https://www.maat.digital/drmeter/
Old 17th June 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
So this one is based on the original TT Dynamic Range Meter that was released
back in 2009.

Interesting to see how this one and the upcoming full version compare to bx and the Nugen stuff.

Don't think you can have too many of these ...






Old 17th June 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
IIRC Brainworx made all or in part the original DR Meter that Pleaasurize Music originally gave away for free.
I think there was a fallout between them when PM started charging for the meter & membership. I supported PA / Brainworx & purchased the BX meter that they released afterwards instead.
Old 17th June 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
Would really like to have the offline version. I'll wait to make sure the offline version becomes available, then demo and buy in if they "measure up".
Old 17th June 2017 | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
correction of facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic ➡️
IIRC Brainworx made all or in part the original DR Meter that Pleaasurize Music originally gave away for free.
I think there was a fallout between them when PM started charging for the meter & membership. I supported PA / Brainworx & purchased the BX meter that they released afterwards instead.
@ ceemusic
I´d like to shed some light into that to allow you to know the truth from first hand:
The TT Dynamic Range Meter was 100% developed by me in close cooperation with Dr. Musialik and Dr. Hatje of Algorithmix (who are true genius. Without their help the DR Meter would never have been what it was and is). We have handed out the original source code to Brainworx to just create the Mac version by using our code, because Algorithmix didn´t have a Mac compatible programming environment.

Brainworx was never involved in any part of the development.

And yes, Dirk got upset when we had to switch to another model after collecting less than $700 donations for more than 50k downloads in order to give the PMF a chance to survive. Brainworx took our code (without permission) and created a more expensive tool based on that code to sell it. Fortunately the original TT as well as the new MAAT version is far more responsive and eye candy as B´s copy.
The one side of the game is the code and the other side is to deal with some tricky stuff in the openGL realms to adopt it for Mac and to make it as responsive and smooth.
BTW: The new DROffline is already running and tested. It´s just the final wrapping into a convenient copy protection scheme that still needs some love and testing.
Old 17th June 2017 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann T ➡️
@ ceemusic
...BTW: The new DROffline is already running and tested. It´s just the final wrapping into a convenient copy protection scheme that still needs some love and testing.
Cool! Looking forward to using these again.
Old 17th June 2017 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
acmusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann T ➡️
@ ceemusic
I´d like to shed some light into that to allow you to know the truth from first hand:
The TT Dynamic Range Meter was 100% developed by me in close cooperation with Dr. Musialik and Dr. Hatje of Algorithmix (who are true genius. Without their help the DR Meter would never have been what it was and is). We have handed out the original source code to Brainworx to just create the Mac version by using our code, because Algorithmix didn´t have a Mac compatible programming environment.

Brainworx was never involved in any part of the development.

And yes, Dirk got upset when we had to switch to another model after collecting less than $700 donations for more than 50k downloads in order to give the PMF a chance to survive. Brainworx took our code (without permission) and created a more expensive tool based on that code to sell it. Fortunately the original TT as well as the new MAAT version is far more responsive and eye candy as B´s copy.
The one side of the game is the code and the other side is to deal with some tricky stuff in the openGL realms to adopt it for Mac and to make it as responsive and smooth.
BTW: The new DROffline is already running and tested. It´s just the final wrapping into a convenient copy protection scheme that still needs some love and testing.
Thank you for the explanation. We were intrigued to hear it first hand.
Will it be possible for the Offline version to import other file types in addition to the 3 listed on the website? Maybe in a future update?
Old 17th June 2017 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic ➡️
Thank you for the explanation. We were intrigued to hear it first hand.
Will it be possible for the Offline version to import other file types in addition to the 3 listed on the website? Maybe in a future update?
Hi Acmusic,
technically it´s actually super simple to open the tool for almost anything. The only reason why we were reluctant and still are, is, that mp3, AAC, etc. can vary drastically from original pcm values under some circumstances.
If you make an mp3 of a loud pcm with previous gain reduction to prevent mp3 to distort, you can increase peaks of the mp3 up to 3dB and higher and on the other side RMS of an mp3 gets slightly lower meaning that an mp3 could show up to 3 more DR than it´s original pcm. This does not happen as drastically when no gain reduction before mp3 encoding is applied. However, mp3 is a PITA and we don´t want to let mp3 look better as they are.
But, yes, now as we have a great team, we will definitely come up with a lot of fancy and helpful stuff. We have already ideas, concepts, and work for years to come... Stay tuned...
Old 17th June 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Friedman for setting things straight.

I bought the TT Dynamic Range Meter like 7 or 8 years ago.
I can recall there were some issues with Dirk back then ...


Downloaded the trial today, and yes, very responsive and accurate.

Looking forward to the DROffline and of course the upcoming DRMeterMkII.



Great that you guys are up and running again







Old 26th June 2017
  #10
Gear Nut
 
phaz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
For the RMS part, which "RMS" is it ? How does it compare to short term LUfs ?
Because I have to measure my Master files with LUfs meter, is the MAAT dynamic Range meter good for that ?

Thanks.
Old 26th June 2017 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
phaz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann T ➡️
@ ceemusic
Fortunately the original TT as well as the new MAAT version is far more responsive and eye candy as B´s copy.
Cool.
Would you show us a video to see how it reacts ?
Old 26th June 2017 | Show parent
  #12
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz ➡️
Cool.
Would you show us a video to see how it reacts ?
You can see it working here: https://www.facebook.com/maatdigital/
But the ballistic is already a bit affected by the weak frame rate of Camtasia.
However, test it on you own by getting a free trial here: https://www.maat.digital/drmeter/

Best,
Friedemann
Old 26th June 2017 | Show parent
  #13
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz ➡️
For the RMS part, which "RMS" is it ? How does it compare to short term LUfs ?
Because I have to measure my Master files with LUfs meter, is the MAAT dynamic Range meter good for that ?

Thanks.
RMS & LUFS are quite a bit different.
After we have released the DROffline Ulitility tonday about 6pm Pacific Time, we´ll finish another processing tool which is already in the works and then quickly dig into DRMeter MkII, which will be equipped with full blown R128 & A/85 features. It was just a requirement to re-animate the old code an a new programming environment before we could get one step further.
DRMeter MkII will be ready after summer.
Old 28th June 2017 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
mastervargas's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon ➡️

Don't think you can have too many of these ...






Yes you can ...
Old 30th June 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I'm looking forward to the standalone, offline application too.

One of the issues I have with the original "TT" offline app is that it is restricted to reading 16-bit 44.1k files. I generally work in 24-bit 48khz so it will be great to be able to read the dynamic range 'score' of those without having to convert. Also it looks like your version will read entire folders as well - how will that work exactly in terms of displaying multiple DR readings in the single screen?

Oh... it looks like the Offline app is available right now!
Old 30th June 2017 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
...
Oh... it looks like the Offline app is available right now!
Yes, just picked it up







Old 30th June 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Just picked it up too .
Old 30th June 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
What are the DR Offline sample rate specs... as in, does it work with 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192?... all of the above?
Old 30th June 2017 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➡️
What are the DR Offline sample rate specs... as in, does it work with 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192?... all of the above?

Quote:
The DROffline measures single pcm files or file folders in resolutions up to 24bit and 192kHz, incl. Flac files.


Old 1st July 2017
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Got it - love it! Works a treat. Drag and drop is a breeze. Can output textfile reports too. Finally I can check DR on 24-bit 48k wave files.

Worth the $15.
Old 1st July 2017 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Gemylon's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
...Worth the $15.

$ 15 is a bargain !




Old 5th July 2017
  #22
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Opened a support ticket too, any news when the Algorithmix plugins will be released cross platform under MAAT? New pricing scheme, upgrade options or yet to be discussed?

Thanks again and all the best
Old 19th July 2017
  #23
Here for the gear
 
The previous version was very useful to me, but for 2ch only. I found it to be unreliable / inaccurate with any Mch music. Is the new version any better in regard to multi-channel music?
Old 20th July 2017
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
What's multi-channel compared to normal stereo? Do you mean surround?

No idea!

Have to say I'm not chuffed with the 'CodeMeter Control Centre' licensing app that wants to auto-start with Windows which accompanies this software.
Old 25th July 2017
  #25
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Bought it, seems like a nice product. The copy protection is absolutely horrendous.
Old 25th July 2017 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrup ➡️
Bought it, seems like a nice product. The copy protection is absolutely horrendous.
How does that work?

I have e-mailed their support some licensing questions, but no answer yet (starting to drag out).

Do you know how many computers you can use it on? And how to authorize an offline computer (my main studio pc)?
Old 25th July 2017 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber ➡️
How does that work?

I have e-mailed their support some licensing questions, but no answer yet (starting to drag out).

Do you know how many computers you can use it on? And how to authorize an offline computer (my main studio pc)?
You have download and install this codemeter software
Then when you make your auth file you can install it, using the codemeter software, on a USB stick

The codemeter software is still running in the background I am not sure how much network traffic it generates, but I do know it want to "call home" everytime I boot my mac.

A very cumbersome process. Makes you love iLok...
Old 25th July 2017
  #28
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yhank you very much Sir
Old 25th July 2017
  #29
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
I'd like to buy and use these, but I don't wanna put yet another different licensing system on my PC.
Old 26th July 2017 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➡️
I'd like to buy and use these, but I don't wanna put yet another different licensing system on my PC.
Had I known, I wouldn't have spent the money. I'm perfectly happy with my Nugen, bx and the free Youlean meter. But I supported the effort I guess. Plus Melda Productions stuff too
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 111 views: 41074
Avatar for Shifted Music
Shifted Music 15th February 2014
replies: 70 views: 23256
Avatar for barryfell
barryfell 31st December 2016
replies: 2 views: 2286
Avatar for PairyHotter
PairyHotter 22nd June 2013
replies: 28571 views: 2573423
Avatar for bigEjams
bigEjams 2 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump