The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Dynaudio LYD 48: 3-way active monitor
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same here. Imaging feels great on my LYD48s.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfen ➡️
Does the “center” on these feel soft to anyone else?

Hmmm... interesting question, because yes I had also noticed the center was "soft" on these. Well, not exactly. What I do keep finding is I will be mixing for a while and suddenly, and frequently, my center image just feels slightly off. Why does that snare sound like it just one or two notches to the left?

Then I stop to check, solo stuff, and move my head around in the listening field, and after a few minutes discover the center information is indeed in the center, but why does my brain keep telling me that it is not... in this weird subliminal way?

I just chalked it up to never having worked extensively on a 3 way system and my brain had to get used to it. Coming from my old standbys, Dynaudio BM6A (original generation), I never had this issue once with the speakers in the same position and my room is pretty well treated.

Also has anyone else noticed that the tweeters at loud, but not even what I would call "pushing the limits", level sometimes actually physically "buckle" with transients – usually snare drum or tom attack? The fabric over the dome of my tweeter actually crumples inwards for a second! Really weird... Dynaudio replaced one for me, and then the other started doing it too. It has not seemed to impact the frequency response or otherwise damaged the speaker, but it can't be good.

I can't imagine there being enough information coming into the tweeter at any level to actually cause the dome to buckle, and wonder if the digital crossover filtering to the tweeter is somehow letting some undesirable information through, some level of dc even...
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 ➡️
The center image feels really good and translates well for me. I do wonder if I would get an even more solid center with something like ATCs and their own amp, but the thought of the center image in the Lyd 48s being inadequate has never once crossed my mind before. Seems very solid to me. Just my anecdotal experience, of course.

Whats your room setup like? Size of room? Space between speakers? audio interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Same here. Imaging feels great on my LYD48s.

Whats your room setup like? Size of room? Space between speakers? audio interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrionic ➡️
Hmmm... interesting question, because yes I had also noticed the center was "soft" on these. Well, not exactly. What I do keep finding is I will be mixing for a while and suddenly, and frequently, my center image just feels slightly off. Why does that snare sound like it just one or two notches to the left?

Then I stop to check, solo stuff, and move my head around in the listening field, and after a few minutes discover the center information is indeed in the center, but why does my brain keep telling me that it is not... in this weird subliminal way?

I just chalked it up to never having worked extensively on a 3 way system and my brain had to get used to it. Coming from my old standbys, Dynaudio BM6A (original generation), I never had this issue once with the speakers in the same position and my room is pretty well treated.

Also has anyone else noticed that the tweeters at loud, but not even what I would call "pushing the limits", level sometimes actually physically "buckle" with transients – usually snare drum or tom attack? The fabric over the dome of my tweeter actually crumples inwards for a second! Really weird... Dynaudio replaced one for me, and then the other started doing it too. It has not seemed to impact the frequency response or otherwise damaged the speaker, but it can't be good.

I can't imagine there being enough information coming into the tweeter at any level to actually cause the dome to buckle, and wonder if the digital crossover filtering to the tweeter is somehow letting some undesirable information through, some level of dc even...
Im coming from LYD8's myself so its an interesting shift, I think part of it could be getting used to a 3 way speaker.
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ditto here, I would actually go as far as saying that centre image feels downright strong and very convincing in my setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Im coming from LYD8's myself so its an interesting shift, I think part of it could be getting used to a 3 way speaker.
I can’t recall the exact dimensions, but my room is something like 10’ x 13’ x 6.5’. It’s a little basement space. Pretty heavily treated. I’m using a Symphony MKII. My LYD48s are ~40" apart, woofer center to woofer center.
Attached Thumbnails
New Dynaudio LYD 48: 3-way active monitor-img_2213.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I had mine in a different room before, but now they're in a basement room similar to Ragan's that I'm turning into a home mix room. The dimensions are approximately 11 x 12 x 6.9 ft.

I'm in the process of building treatment for it (mostly thick absorbers and bass traps). In the meantime, I've put up some less-than-adequate temporary wall treatments (just some foam things I was given a long time ago).

The room measurements right now are better than I thought they'd be, but I need to address a bunch of modes and reflection points.
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have no issues with center image with my LYD 48s. I even get great height from them.

When I tried a really super-wide placement (just experimenting) I did see the center dissapear which is to be expected.

Have you tested them for phase?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad ➡️
I have no issues with center image with my LYD 48s. I even get great height from them.

When I tried a really super-wide placement (just experimenting) I did see the center dissapear which is to be expected.

Have you tested them for phase?
I’ve noticed a little improvement with moving them a little more off the wall. They were about 8” from the wall before. Now they’re at 20” off the wall.

I’ve run pink noise and everything sounds fine. I think it’s really just my ears becoming acclimated to them versus the 2 way LYD. The center is there it’s just in headphones, cars, or through a phone the volume difference is maybe 3db? So what I hear in studio sounds less forward than how it plays back in other areas. But if I make the adjustment it translates well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The other day I read that it's better for rear-ported speakers in smaller rooms to be placed as close to the front wall as possible without touching it.
Any truth to this?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 ➡️
The other day I read that it's better for rear-ported speakers in smaller rooms to be placed as close to the front wall as possible without touching it.
Any truth to this?
Dynaudio recommends .5-1 full meter from a wall with the LYD lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dynaudio recommends .5-1 full meter from a wall with the LYD lol
I bet they do, of course.
You can lol all you want, but I think it was a video from GIK acoustics, no less, who brought light to such notion, as crazy as it sounds.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I bet they do, of course.
You can lol all you want, but I think it was a video from GIK acoustics, no less, who brought light to such notion, as crazy as it sounds.
my bad, I wasn't meaning to come across like im laughing at you. more so the situation at hand. I thought the whole thing was for front ported speakers to be place closer to the wall

this looks like the video you were referring to.

https://youtu.be/T10_MLGOBfc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
my bad, I wasn't meaning to come across like im laughing at you. more so the situation at hand. I thought the whole thing was for front ported speakers to be place closer to the wall

this looks like the video you were referring to.

https://youtu.be/T10_MLGOBfc
No worries, I also always thought that to be the case with rear ports, the further from the front wall the better. Yes, that is exactly the video I had seen, and while at first the theory had me smh, it does kind of make sense, oddly enough.
Gear Nut

Quote:
No worries, I also always thought that to be the case with rear ports, the further from the front wall the better. Yes, that is exactly the video I had seen, and while at first the theory had me smh, it does kind of make sense, oddly enough.
I just tried getting mine closer to the wall. I have panels right behind the speakers already so they’re about 6” off

Didn’t notice too much difference initially. I did bump my sub crossover to 80 but I’ll probably back it down to 60 where it was. The LYD are fine up until about 60
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I actually moved mine closer to the wall today (they were maybe 3" off before) and it's a substantial improvement, although I did move them a bit closer together too because I found I had them a bit wide for where I was sitting. Of course there is a huge interaction with the room, and I'm still on the journey of treating this room I have them in now. But for my room and listening position as of now, they do sound better against the wall. We'll see once I add more treatment and continue to optimize the listening and speaker positions with the treatment going in.

There seems to be more energy coming off the front wall now that they're right against the way, which is actually good, and the imaging seems to be a lot better and solid. Having the listening position tighter seems to help with the smaller room too. Hopefully I can implement enough absorption all away from the front wall.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
When I initially set up my LYD 48 in my 10' x 12' x 9' room I had a 10dB dip at 100Hz with smaller dips at 50Hz and 200Hz using the Neutral and Zero settings and placing them about 1/3 out into the room and 1/4 from the sidewalls. My listening position was 2/3 out from the front wall and at the midway point from the sidewalls.

Room has soffit traps that are 10" x 18" around the side and rear wall/ceiling and 10" x 18" along the front wall/ceiling with DIY corner traps in the front corners floor to ceiling.

Seeing so many pictures here and elsewhere of people with their nearfield setups pushed closer to the front wall I decided to try it out. I flipped them to Wall/Dark and sure enough those dips were all filled and the -3dB point dropped from 40Hz to 28Hz.

It goes against everything I'd read regarding ideal speaker/listener placement but it worked!

BTW - just posted my LYD 48 in the classifieds if anyone's interested! They've served me well over the past 8 months that my music room was serving as a WFH office but with a return to the office in the near future I'll be going back to a traditional HiFi setup.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 ➡️
When I initially set up my LYD 48 in my 10' x 12' x 9' room I had a 10dB dip at 100Hz with smaller dips at 50Hz and 200Hz using the Neutral and Zero settings and placing them about 1/3 out into the room and 1/4 from the sidewalls. My listening position was 2/3 out from the front wall and at the midway point from the sidewalls.

Room has soffit traps that are 10" x 18" around the side and rear wall/ceiling and 10" x 18" along the front wall/ceiling with DIY corner traps in the front corners floor to ceiling.

Seeing so many pictures here and elsewhere of people with their nearfield setups pushed closer to the front wall I decided to try it out. I flipped them to Wall/Dark and sure enough those dips were all filled and the -3dB point dropped from 40Hz to 28Hz.

It goes against everything I'd read regarding ideal speaker/listener placement but it worked!

BTW - just posted my LYD 48 in the classifieds if anyone's interested! They've served me well over the past 8 months that my music room was serving as a WFH office but with a return to the office in the near future I'll be going back to a traditional HiFi setup.
Just wanted to echo what you’re saying. This boundary interference can play a big part in bass response in smaller rooms.

I’m not using the LYD’s, I’m using Focal Shape Twins, but my room isn’t far off your dimensions and I had 12db dips and peaks at near enough the same frequencies, and I managed to reduce that by 6db by moving my monitors much closer to the front wall (about 6 inches away).
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Just wanted to echo what you’re saying. This boundary interference can play a big part in bass response in smaller rooms.

I’m not using the LYD’s, I’m using Focal Shape Twins, but my room isn’t far off your dimensions and I had 12db dips and peaks at near enough the same frequencies, and I managed to reduce that by 6db by moving my monitors much closer to the front wall (about 6 inches away).

I personally haven’t noticed a difference using the wall setting. Has anyone figured out what it actually does?
📝 Reply