The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A

Black Rooster Audio is proud to present the VLA-2A - the worldβ€˜s finest emulation of THE opto electronic compressor of the late 1960s. We have put all our knowledge, engineering skill and heart into designing the most authentic native emulation of this unit to this date. We love to use the VLA-2A on drums, but it also performs outstandingly well on bass or vocals and carefully adjusting the compression really helps to make your signals shine and sit just in the mix. We give you a limited time introduction offer of $99 ($129 regularly).

Get your copy at Black Rooster Audio today.

FEATURES

AUTHENTIC CIRCUIT EMULATION
Our realtime component based circuit simulation approach allows for authentically capturing the sound and feel of the analog unit as close as possible. All the crucial parts, including in- and output transformers, sidechain and audio path tube stages, filters and of course the T4A cell have been faithfully modelled and matched with an original '68 reference unit.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE
DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures high performance operation despite very complex computations.
AUTO-ADJUSTED OVERSAMPLING FOR MAXIMUM AUDIO TRANSPARENCY
Aliasing artifacts are efficiently attenuated using a low latency linear phase Dolph-Chebyshev polyphase design. The oversampling rate is auto adjusted to your session's sample rate to save CPU while offering the most transparent sound possible.

HIGHDPI / RETINA SUPPORT
Our user interfaces support high pixel density on both Windows and Mac OS systems to present you with the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your manual to learn whether your DAW is HighDPI capable if you're working on Windows.

ABOUT BLACK ROOSTER AUDIO

We're an avid audio software company from Germany that brings you premium quality DAW plug-ins. Our processors can be used in the most popular host applications such as Steinberg Cubase, Apple Logic, Ableton Live and many others. We put all our dexterity into contriving and creating the most state-of-the-art software. We want to support you in your everyday recording, mixing or mastering process and provide you with highly creative, inspiring and great sounding tools.

Please check Premium Audio Plugins - Black Rooster Audio for further information.

We would like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed in making this release happen!
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am very excited about this launch, this is easily one of the best sounding LA-2A emulations I have tried so far.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you have an ETA for an AAX version of the plug-in?
Old 30th November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams ➑️
Do you have an ETA for an AAX version of the plug-in?
You can expect AAX support early next year.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here is a presentation video.

I suggest you all to try it on your own material. It may certainly shine !

Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it only me or, the levelmatch seem to be next to none! Dont doubt its a great comp. Just gets in the way of listening to it since its quite a difference between the volume on and off.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg ➑️
Is it only me or, the levelmatch seem to be next to none! Dont doubt its a great comp. Just gets in the way of listening to it since its quite a difference between the volume on and off.
Yes, I agree the dry/wet drum levels should be matched in the video, but the vocal example more than makes up for it.

Try the demo, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How many computers can I install this plugin on if I purchase it? I have a studio computer and a laptop that I use for music production.

EDIT: Also, it's always a bit disconcerting when "audio professionals" release videos with sub-par audio quality. The voice overs are pretty badly produced and the volume levels all over the place. Similarly the activation videos voice over is all over the stereo field and not at all optimally treated (ironically, the dynamics are quite uneven.. how about inserting your own plugin over your voice over?).

EDIT2: Demo seems to be fairly convoluted as well.. and there is no information on the demo restrictions. 30 days? 14 days? Do I need to activate it? Clicking the "Try now" button just bounces me to a login screen. No information.. nothing. I have a fairly high tolerance for quirky demo stuff as long as the product itself is easy to demo but because I have zero information on the restrictions I'm just not going to bother at the moment.

EDIT3: Found the FAQ that answers most questions. Could this be made a bit more obvious? Perhaps have a link to it next to the "try now" button?

Last edited by bmanic; 30th November 2016 at 04:45 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
How many computers can I install this plugin on if I purchase it? I have a studio computer and a laptop that I use for music production.
You can install and activate the plug-in on up to 5 different machines.

Please check the FAQ and the activation video for more detailed info. We're always willing to improve our workflow so your input is welcome.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeh, just found the FAQ button. Didn't notice it at first.

First impressions: It's different, but good. Perhaps a little on the dark side (it definitely sounds like a vintage LA2A and not a pristine up-to-date / recapped thing) but the compression action I like a lot. It's definitely sweeter sounding than the IK Multimedia LA2A and the Native Instruments (softube) LA2A clones. It's also different enough to perhaps warrant a purchase at some point.

So far so good.

EDIT:

Second impresions: I do find the VLA-2A pumping a bit.. it seems to be less "stable" in it's compression action than some of the competition. I'll have to compare it tomorrow at the studio against some tracks that have gone through the UA re-issue hardware but so far my feeling is that VLA-2A isn't as stable, a bit slower on release of transients, as the hardware and competition. For instance, the IK Multimedia LA2A is really stable and very hard to make it pump.. thus it's awesome on bass. The re-issue form UA is also very stable on bass.

Installer for Windows was not working correctly though. I had to manually find the .DLL files and put them in my VSTPlugins directory. Instead of the plugins, a Black Rooster Audio.DLL was put there instead and it's probably supposed to be some sort of wrapper but it didn't do anything. Found the actual plugin dll files in the .bundle directories created elsewhere on the HD. Definitely a showstopper problem for people who aren't comfortable with computers, who require stuff to "just work".

Last edited by bmanic; 30th November 2016 at 05:24 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Installer for Windows was not working correctly though. I had to manually find the .DLL files and put them in my VSTPlugins directory. Instead of the plugins, a Black Rooster Audio.DLL was put there instead and it's probably supposed to be some sort of wrapper but it didn't do anything. Found the actual plugin dll files in the .bundle directories created elsewhere on the HD. Definitely a showstopper problem for people who aren't comfortable with computers, who require stuff to "just work".
Thanks for your feedback bmanic, very appreciated. Regarding your installer issue: That's exactly what the installer's Legacy VST Support option is supposed to do for you, so normally you shouldn't have to copy Plug-in dlls around, manually. It's explained in the FAQ, als well. Can you let us know which DAW you're working in?

Thanks!
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm testing it in Reaper latest version, updated today.

Windows 8.1 system (running Reaper in Admin mode always).

I don't know of any other plugin manufacturer that uses a "wrapper" like this. The .DLL file of the effect/instrument is always copied to the VSTPlugins directory as far as I know.

EDIT: correction, waves also does it this way.. and is also problematic in Reaper on Windows (not sure how it's on OSX).

EDIT2: Tried it in FL Studio and here it works as intended. Black Rooster Audio shows up as a plugin shell and it opens up the VLA-2A plugin. However, Black Rooster Audio.dll shows up twice, once for VLA-2A and once for Canary. Needless to say, this is not at all ideal. It'd be better if the plugin names were identified by the DLL.

So in conclusion: Reaper and FL Studio users on Windows better tick the "legacy install" box. Also, I wouldn't call it "legacy" because 99.9% of all plugin manufacturers do it this way (for obvious reasons.. it works). I'm only aware of Waves and yourselves who use a shell/wrapper system.

Last edited by bmanic; 30th November 2016 at 05:56 PM..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm testing it in Reaper latest version, updated today.

Windows 8.1 system (running Reaper in Admin mode always).

I don't know of any other plugin manufacturer that uses a "wrapper" like this. The .DLL file of the effect/instrument is always copied to the VSTPlugins directory as far as I know.

EDIT: correction, waves also does it this way.. and is also problematic in Reaper on Windows (not sure how it's on OSX).

EDIT2: Tried it in FL Studio and here it works as intended. Black Rooster Audio shows up as a plugin shell and it opens up the VLA-2A plugin. However, Black Rooster Audio.dll shows up twice, once for VLA-2A and once for Canary. Needless to say, this is not at all ideal. It'd be better if the plugin names were identified by the DLL.

So in conclusion: Reaper and FL Studio users on Windows better tick the "legacy install" box. Also, I wouldn't call it "legacy" because 99.9% of all plugin manufacturers do it this way (for obvious reasons.. it works). I'm only aware of Waves and yourselves who use a shell/wrapper system.
I'm not sure what you're doing but this is working flawlessly in REAPER 5 64bit under Windows 10 for me and it has been like that for quite a long time during the beta. Maybe the problem is you're running REAPER as administrator. I'd never suggest to do such thing as running a host as administrator. I've never had any problems with Waves either (not even in my Windows XP days).
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
One of my favorite tricks when using it on extreme vocals is to push the gain knob to get that classy saturation.
feels so natural and cut through the mix

Edit.
I love it for bass, and not noticing any unusual pumping.
I love how bass guitar got compressed and breath at the same time

Last edited by Detch; 30th November 2016 at 09:39 PM..
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Second impresions: I do find the VLA-2A pumping a bit.. it seems to be less "stable" in it's compression action than some of the competition. I'll have to compare it tomorrow at the studio against some tracks that have gone through the UA re-issue hardware but so far my feeling is that VLA-2A isn't as stable, a bit slower on release of transients, as the hardware and competition. For instance, the IK Multimedia LA2A is really stable and very hard to make it pump.. thus it's awesome on bass. The re-issue form UA is also very stable on bass.
I agree. This was the same impression I had. It pumped in a subtle but distracting way on vocals in compressor mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
I'm not sure what you're doing but this is working flawlessly in REAPER 5 64bit under Windows 10 for me and it has been like that for quite a long time during the beta. Maybe the problem is you're running REAPER as administrator. I'd never suggest to do such thing as running a host as administrator. I've never had any problems with Waves either (not even in my Windows XP days).
I actually have to run it Admin to get some plugins to register/validate without messing with the folder permission settings.

I highly doubt though that this is the issue. You can physically see where the .DLL files are copied by the installer. None of the actual plugin DLL files are copied anywhere near a VSTplugins directory. Only the Black Rooster Audio.DLL file goes into the plugin folder.

However, in Reaper there is the setting to scan plugins and sort them by type. I have it set to "sort by .DLL" or whatever it is called, where it shows the folder structure. This could be the issue.

This still wouldn't solve the wrapper problem being shown the wrong name but it would perhaps at least work.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As for the pumping, at higher gain reduction settings it's quite clearly audible on almost any sources. It might first sound like "punch" to some but it's just the release getting bogged down after a particularly hard transient (usually when it has some low-mid or bass energy). I can now hear this on vocals, guitars, drums and bass.

I'm 99.99% sure the hardware I had rented a few years ago didn't do this.. neither does any of my other plugin emulations of the LA2A.

This makes it kind of a no-go for me at the moment. I do really like the dark box tone of the plugin though!
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, maybe the pumping is due to the nature of the unit they modeled.

All LA-2A emulations have a slightly different action on transients and release times do vary quite a bit right ?

Indeed any pumping effect is going to be amplified the more you compress. I didn't noticed something so obvious honestly.

I compared it on vocals with my goto LA-2A emu, which is usually the UAD LA-2A Silver, and preferred the VLA-2A every time because it sounded smoother.

I guess it depends on the material, and I tweaked by ear so it wasn't a real "scientific" test.
Old 1st December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually have to run it Admin to get some plugins to register/validate without messing with the folder permission settings.

I highly doubt though that this is the issue. You can physically see where the .DLL files are copied by the installer. None of the actual plugin DLL files are copied anywhere near a VSTplugins directory. Only the Black Rooster Audio.DLL file goes into the plugin folder.

However, in Reaper there is the setting to scan plugins and sort them by type. I have it set to "sort by .DLL" or whatever it is called, where it shows the folder structure. This could be the issue.

This still wouldn't solve the wrapper problem being shown the wrong name but it would perhaps at least work.
I always avoid admin permissions in apps because it leads to more problems in the long run. I try to do it on a system level (mostly folders).

Yes, ticking "Get VST names/types when scanning" might solve that issue with the wrapper. You should see each plug-in separately like in my screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A-blackroosterplugins.png  
Old 1st December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg ➑️
Is it only me or, the levelmatch seem to be next to none!
The noobs will eat it up
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I also noticed the pump when I tried it for the first time during the beta and actually discussed this with the awesome team behind Black Rooster Audio (man, I had no idea the amount of geniuses there were there. Developers who coded some of the best emulations we have been loving for years and now are working together). I inmediately noticed the difference in the 2-stage release when I compared to one universal audio reissue we have. The reissue sounds way more modern and "linear", I mean it's like more predictable. The VLA-2A seems to "breathe". I love the tone and character A LOT, though. The saturation when you add more gain (one thing you have to be careful with when tracking with a LA-2A) is very very nice, I can hear they did an awesome job on that part because I actually like it better than what happens when I push our LA-2A to compensate when tracking (it's not bad but it gets too mellow sometimes).
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have more than my share of LA-2A compressors. But I visited Black Rooster's page anyway and saw that they are working on an LA-3A. Now THAT piqued my interest.

Also, I must say that the GUI on this plugin is beautiful. Great job! I hope the growing pains are ironed out by the time the 3A plugin is released.
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 on the LA-3A, really looking forward to hearing it.
Old 2nd December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
I also noticed the pump when I tried it for the first time during the beta and actually discussed this with the awesome team behind Black Rooster Audio (man, I had no idea the amount of geniuses there were there. Developers who coded some of the best emulations we have been loving for years and now are working together). I inmediately noticed the difference in the 2-stage release when I compared to one universal audio reissue we have. The reissue sounds way more modern and "linear", I mean it's like more predictable. The VLA-2A seems to "breathe". I love the tone and character A LOT, though. The saturation when you add more gain (one thing you have to be careful with when tracking with a LA-2A) is very very nice, I can hear they did an awesome job on that part because I actually like it better than what happens when I push our LA-2A to compensate when tracking (it's not bad but it gets too mellow sometimes).
Yes. Thanks for this info about the crazy cats behind the software. I agree that the tone is extremely good. In the limiter mode, I don't hear the pumping issue. I hope they can figure out what's going on with the pumping in compressor mode because the tone is tremendous. I've tried putting it after a "normal" digital non-flavor compressor just for the tone with no gain reduction and it's very nice.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This compressor does breathe, but I don't hear the pumping as being necessarily bad. Certain compressors like MJUC always sounds like it's pumping to me no matter how I set it up. This is definitely not anywhere close to being that bad. I could see how it wouldn't work on certain material, but I'm a huge fan of this! The saturation is right up there with some of the best plugins.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 ➑️
This compressor does breathe, but I don't hear the pumping as being necessarily bad. Certain compressors like MJUC always sounds like it's pumping to me no matter how I set it up. This is definitely not anywhere close to being that bad. I could see how it wouldn't work on certain material, but I'm a huge fan of this! The saturation is right up there with some of the best plugins.
I agree that the saturation tone is the best LA-2A tone I've heard ITB. And the pumping works on some things. I like it on guitar solos. If the pumping doesn't work on a certain source, put your favorite other compressor in front of VLA-2A and just use VLA-2A for tone. I got great results with UAD Chandler Zeiner comp followed by VLA-2A with no gain reduction on a male rock vocal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 ➑️
The problem is that at least the reissue of the real deal, the universal audio LA-2A that I've rented, doesn't do this.

I have actually never been lucky enough to use any of the vintage variants but I'm almost certain they exhibit the same smooth natural gain reduction behavior as well. It's after all one of the things they are famous for (tone being the other one).

This is supposed to be an emulation, right? None of my other LA-2A plugin variants have this pumping problem (except perhaps the Cakewalk one that just sounds weird to me) with the compressor release envelope. It's almost like the VLA-2A is too aggressively program dependent at a transient and not entirely correct in how it should be less sensitive to bass frequencies. If you run a sine sweep through the reissue you'll see it compress things a bit unevenly, even if the levels are the same across all frequencies. Anyhow, I'm just speculating here based on what I hear.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
@ bmanic I don't quite get the point of comparing it to other plugin emulation and talking about authenticity.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it sounds much better than the rest of the competition (i haven't heard the UAD). Really Good color/vibe and it sounds lively!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detch ➑️
@ bmanic I don't quite get the point of comparing it to other plugin emulation and talking about authenticity.
Comparing it to other plugins when discussing the program release is very relevant.
πŸ“ Reply