The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio releases the VLA-2A
Old 30th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
I wonder if this has anything to do with the R37 emphasis control? That would certainly affect low end saturation.
I agree that could be the case. We know that no 2 hardware units are the same, and I believe BRA has emulated an older version.

@ artem bankin : Is it possible for us to get the dry version of your loop?
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Lesha

Yes, uploaded it
Attached Files

loop.wav (1.01 MB, 4935 views)

Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Lesha

I believe that there may be some difference between some hardware units ,but not so huge ..
Old 30th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by artem bankin ➡️
Lesha

Yes, uploaded it
What was the amount of gain reduction on hardware?

And how was your R37 adjusted?
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Lesha
r37 is on default position ...i never touched it.

Gr - same with the plugin , - 10 -12 db ...with input knob 65.5 percent ..

I believe that there may be some difference between some hardware units ,but not so huge ..
And it's not just about saturation , VLA2a reacts to lows not like a tube compressor, way more some sort of VCA ...
La2a , Summit audio tla , Cl1b - they all preserve low end with any settings... no "clicking" at all .
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster ➡️

Black Rooster Audio is proud to present the VLA-2A - the world‘s finest emulation of THE opto electronic compressor of the late 1960s. We have put all our knowledge, engineering skill and heart into designing the most authentic native emulation of this unit to this date. We love to use the VLA-2A on drums, but it also performs outstandingly well on bass or vocals and carefully adjusting the compression really helps to make your signals shine and sit just in the mix. We give you a limited time introduction offer of $99 ($129 regularly).

Get your copy at Black Rooster Audio today.

FEATURES

AUTHENTIC CIRCUIT EMULATION
Our realtime component based circuit simulation approach allows for authentically capturing the sound and feel of the analog unit as close as possible. All the crucial parts, including in- and output transformers, sidechain and audio path tube stages, filters and of course the T4A cell have been faithfully modelled and matched with an original '68 reference unit.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE
DSP operations are pipelined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures high performance operation despite very complex computations.
AUTO-ADJUSTED OVERSAMPLING FOR MAXIMUM AUDIO TRANSPARENCY
Aliasing artifacts are efficiently attenuated using a low latency linear phase Dolph-Chebyshev polyphase design. The oversampling rate is auto adjusted to your session's sample rate to save CPU while offering the most transparent sound possible.

HIGHDPI / RETINA SUPPORT
Our user interfaces support high pixel density on both Windows and Mac OS systems to present you with the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your manual to learn whether your DAW is HighDPI capable if you're working on Windows.

ABOUT BLACK ROOSTER AUDIO

We're an avid audio software company from Germany that brings you premium quality DAW plug-ins. Our processors can be used in the most popular host applications such as Steinberg Cubase, Apple Logic, Ableton Live and many others. We put all our dexterity into contriving and creating the most state-of-the-art software. We want to support you in your everyday recording, mixing or mastering process and provide you with highly creative, inspiring and great sounding tools.

Please check Premium Audio Plugins - Black Rooster Audio for further information.

We would like to say thank you to everyone who has contributed in making this release happen!
Guys.....
Your plugins are FANTASTIC!!!!
I have to stop following m2e, Marc's posts because I keep buying plugins he recommends.
I was really blown away by the creaminess of the la2a and the blue face compressor , oh my gosh what a sweet fat sound.
I love how much you guys saturate and change the tone of the source, haven't found many plugins that do this.
Please keep it up I will be buying all of these, and slick website too!
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Look at shoot out: Waves-UAD-Blackroster

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...ull-tests.html
Old 13th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I tried this and it's already replacing my instances of CLA-2A in sessions that were in progress. I don't remember if it was this thread or a general la-2a thread, but someone pointed out that this is probably the best option for nailing the tone and saturation of the hardware.

I have to say, I believe it. I've used CLA-2A for a long time and while it does a good job of smoothing out the dynamics, it's rare that I felt that it really makes the source sound better on its own.

With VLA-2A, I drop it onto the vocal and dial and some gain reduction and get an instant mid-range focus a la early Bowie/Elton. It's that tone in a box.
Old 22nd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s on sale at the moment until November 4.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would love the VLA3A to be on sale
Old 22nd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh ➡️
I would love the VLA3A to be on sale
Yeah and their Pultec emulations as well. Probably have to wait for Black Friday for that.
Old 23rd October 2019
I was trying the demo the last days and loving it, and then I saw it was on sale. I bought it instantly. I love its sound. Smooth and warm, with character. I just did a rock mix with it on several tracks to see how it responds. On drums it made them huge. Same on bass, after an 1176 to tame the faster transients. On piano it was sweet, enhancing the sustain whithout squashing the attack. On vocals it was the ideal tool. Put them in focus while leveling them closer to the instruments. On chorus where the performance was initially louder, it kept it controlled and the extra harmonics made the vocals shine in a very familiar way.

I was thinking of getting this for more than a year, but I postponed it for several reasons. Last year I could afford this or the pultec suite and I got the EQ's. Which I do not regret, as I use them in every mix and I prefer them to other emulations I have. Now this is my new favourite tool and it will sit next to the pultec's, I'm sure.

Thank you BR, I really like your sound!
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a little project to find my favourite la2a plugin compressor at the moment. So I'm cheking out as much as I can.

I read the whole thread with the vla-2a release behavior discussion. I'm not sure what's right and wrong and for me it makes a lot sense that there are also differences in hardware.

I can only compare to other plugins, but the vc-2a from softtube for example has a very different release curve. But both plugins sounds good. But the vla-2a is not grabbing the signal as aggressive with high peak reduction and I can understand the comments about pumping a little bit. I think I prefer the vc-2a compression curve mostly. I get a bit more even sound level with the vc-2a. But I like to use a la2a especially on bass. For vocals it might be different outcome, have not tested.

At the same time the vla-2a might be a tiny bit less resonant in the highs than the vc-2a, which I have the impression sounds more neutral and pleasing in the heights in a good way on cleaner signals.

But my first thought after reading this thread was like this. Hey Blockrooster, why not doing another la2a based on a different hardware to get a more standard release behavior as a different flavor?

There are different hardware version, why not do different plugin versions? Would be just another sound flavour. I'm not sure about the vla-2a yet, but having checked out the other plugins too, Blackrooster is doing something right with their splice modelling approach soundwise.

Sorry for this long post, but you have to keep yourself busy in the current situation.
Old 29th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or they could just add a switch for a different revision as Overloud has done.
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok ➡️
Or they could just add a switch for a different revision as Overloud has done.
Not a different revision... The Overloud Gem Comp LA has two different compressors, both the LA-2A and LA-3A, in one plugin

Whereas BLA has the two same compressors a separate plugins.

All that said... The Black Rooster VLA-3A is actually closer to my hardware LA-2A than the VLA-2A is... go figure
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber ➡️
Not a different revision... The Overloud Gem Comp LA has two different compressors, both the LA-2A and LA-3A, in one plugin

Whereas BLA has the two same compressors a separate plugins.

All that said... The Black Rooster VLA-3A is actually closer to my hardware LA-2A than the VLA-2A is... go figure
Love me some VLA-3A compressor action! Works so well on so many sources...
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
...the awesome team behind Black Rooster Audio (man, I had no idea the amount of geniuses there were there. Developers who coded some of the best emulations we have been loving for years and now are working together)...
Interesting, any info on where the devs are from/what they've worked on previously?
Old 16th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Heads-up for anyone interested: VLA-3A, VLA-2A and FET are on sale for $22 each right now.

Not sure how long the sale runs for so snap 'em up if you want 'em:

JRR Shop
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thing is great. Just grabbed it in the sale, gonna live on bass for me.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
EDIT: All sorted. Thanks Andre! These two (VLA-3A / VLA-2A) are just lovely compressors. Very refined sounding. And an absolute no-brainer at the current sale prices. Really a no-brainer.

Hey Black Rooster Audio!

Sorry to have to post here but I've written to both your support and Fastspring yesterday and haven't received any reply whatsoever.

Just wondering where my VLA-2A license is. The VLA-3A (separate order a few days ago) arrived within minutes but this, a day later, and still nothing.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Ol' Betsey; 4th December 2020 at 11:49 AM..
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

LA 2A / LA 3A comparisons

Old thread, but... has anyone seen this comparisons already?

LA 2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4uaMgP8C_M&t=1086s

LA 3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqy3Hl_nPw&t=826s

Seems Black Rooster were a bit hyped when they released their Plugins since they do not perform very well here...
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd78 ➡️

LA 2A

LA 3A

Seems Black Rooster were a bit hyped when they released their Plugins since they do not perform very well here...
To be honest I'm a little (a lot, actually) over whether plugins sound like the hardware (or even other emulations of the hardware) but I will say regardless of how it's done in the comparison the LA3A has been in my template for the last two months and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Would still love the hardware though!

R.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd78 ➡️

LA 2A

LA 3A

Not so "hyped" if you go through a couple of pages of this thread. There were some opinions expressed about the behaviour of the VLA-2A not being faithful to an original LA2A unit (I know some hardware users sharing these thoughts outside of this forum too).
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Guys, try this. Put VLA-2A into Plugin Doctor showing the Linear Analysis (frequency) window. Do you notice the volume moving up suddenly as soon as it appears? Now zoom in, is it still rising very slowly? Come back a few minutes later, is it still rising?

Weird...

Some kind of "warming up to operating temperature" type emulation going on? The longer you use it, the louder it gets (albeit incredibly subtly)?*

VLA-3A doesn't do it.

* (I don't actually think that. It seems likely to be some kind of rendering quirk in PD)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Plugin Doctor is like a virus. lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Plugin Doctor is like a virus. lol
With the only vaccine being all plugins becoming true 64-bit processing with zero aliasing haha
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
With the only vaccine being all plugins becoming true 64-bit processing with zero aliasing haha
Well, at least in this case the vaccine isn't more dangerous than the virus.
📝 Reply