Soundtoys Releases New Sie-Q Equalizer Plug-in and 5.1 Bundle Update - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtoys Releases New Sie-Q Equalizer Plug-in and 5.1 Bundle Update
Old 7th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
Hey Dan
I sent a support ticket but no response.
No luck with pro tools 10.crash/freeze.
Liked the sound for the 30 seconds it was working.Any possible updates?
Our support team is slammed right now due to the release of the new product, but we're making our way through the emails, and I promise your voice will be heard. We are looking into solutions for the problem as I write this.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➑️
When I have it on my insert, there's constantly a signal coming out very low but visible on meters, and this signal is just constant 0Hz.
The "DC Offset" issue will be fixed in the next update. The workaround is to throw a 1Hz if it is affecting your sessions in the meantime.

Quote:
Besides that, the drive knob changes the volume and it shouldn't I guess? The rest is flawless, it's stable and sounds great. I'm on Mac OS X Yosemite, Reaper 5 64 bits.
The Drive Knob does have "auto-gain" enabled in the positive gain range. That means that when you turn that knob to 9dB, it won't actually raise the gain of your track by 9dB. The "auto-gain" curve was set by our engineers. If you notice the volume of your track going up when you Drive it, that is correct behavior.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
hi Dan,

any clarification on the confusion (which some of us talked about above) regarding the 'Sie-Q' license for existing V5 bundle owners? is it included in the bundle now, or a completely separate license altogether?

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Soundtoys 5 customers have a "license group" for "Soundtoys 5" and a separate license for "Sie-Q 5." Both will show up in your Soundtoys account, but the Soundtoys 5.1 installer actually includes Sie-Q, so it doesn't need to be downloaded separately.

New customers will just get a license group for "Soundtoys 5.1" that includes Sie-Q.
Hi Dan, thanks for dropping by!
I am a SoundToys 5 bundle customer, but I have not received a license for Sie-Q neither in my SoundToys account or my iLok account. I have double-checked that my iLok ID is the same one I have stored in my SoundToys account. I installed the 5.1 update and I can use Sie-Q in the rack, but not as an individual plugin. I sent a support ticket a week ago but still no response (I know you guys are busy and will take care of it).

Anyway, others in this thread had the same problem and we discussed whether the "free license" which is available through October 13, was the same as the license in the bundle. It is not the same license, right? There seems to be a confusion about this.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The "DC Offset" issue will be fixed in the next update. The workaround is to throw a 1Hz if it is affecting your sessions in the meantime.

The Drive Knob does have "auto-gain" enabled in the positive gain range. That means that when you turn that knob to 9dB, it won't actually raise the gain of your track by 9dB. The "auto-gain" curve was set by our engineers. If you notice the volume of your track going up when you Drive it, that is correct behavior.
Thanks for clarifying, Dan. Keep up the great work! I seriously love this thing.
Old 8th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzface ➑️
Hi Dan, thanks for dropping by!
I am a SoundToys 5 bundle customer, but I have not received a license for Sie-Q neither in my SoundToys account or my iLok account. I have double-checked that my iLok ID is the same one I have stored in my SoundToys account. I installed the 5.1 update and I can use Sie-Q in the rack, but not as an individual plugin. I sent a support ticket a week ago but still no response (I know you guys are busy and will take care of it).

Anyway, others in this thread had the same problem and we discussed whether the "free license" which is available through October 13, was the same as the license in the bundle. It is not the same license, right? There seems to be a confusion about this.

Thanks.
The same here. I'm not in a rush but it would be great if these type of situations did not arise in a first place.
Old 10th October 2016 | Show parent
JDN
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Our support team is slammed right now due to the release of the new product, but we're making our way through the emails, and I promise your voice will be heard. We are looking into solutions for the problem as I write this.
Yes I had to resort back to the previous version because the never version crashes my Pro Tools 10.3.10. It's very frustrating they would release an update saying it's compatible when apparently many others are having this issue and as someone else mentioned on this thread ST was aware of this. I appreciate you being here giving us an update and hopefully this gets resolved soon in a new update.
Old 10th October 2016
JDN
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just found this, If anyone else is still experiencing the problems I am with the current soundtoys crashing PT10, or other 32 bit DAW's here's the answer why and the workarounds.
Old 11th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Big fan, like it a lot.
Old 12th October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds nice, I like it, but it causes my Reaper (64bit) to crash. Little Alterboy does this also. Had to remove due to it being such a pain in the ass.
Old 12th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Seriously bloody love this EQ. I haven't had any issues on PT12.4 and Yosemite. It is just so farken smooth and sounds incredible on Kick, Snare, Acoustics, Vocals, Bass....****, pretty much everything! I just wish the mid control went down to 350hz!!!! Apart from that; it is probably one of the most musical software EQs I have in my arsenal! Great job Soundtoys!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
So I tried it on some drums today to see how close it gets to the original hw.

There is certainly some difference. I needed to push Sie-q a bit more on the EQ settings to get similar feel to the hw modules. I also included files set exactly to the "right numbers" for reference.

There are various amounts of gain staging on both (using drive with the plugin and level with hw).

I tried to level match all the files, though it is possible it needs some further level correction (this is as far as I can go in the time I have).

To me the HW is dirtier and grittier. Soundtoys cleaner and maybe more useful in everyday situation. Though for more earthy sounding music my preference would be HW.

(converters used: Lucid 88192)
Attached Files

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_pushed.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4947 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_+2,2at3.5khz_drive0.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4717 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive0.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4626 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive6.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4590 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive15.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4562 views)

st sie-q_lo+3_hi+6_+2at3.5khz_drive0.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4573 views)

st sie-q_lo+3_hi+6_drive0.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4604 views)

bypass.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4560 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4594 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_+2at3,5kzh_lowgain.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4540 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_lowgain.mp3 (404.1 KB, 4537 views)

Last edited by matucha; 12th October 2016 at 06:08 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Wave files.
Attached Files

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_pushed.wav (2.59 MB, 4060 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_+2,2at3.5khz_drive0.wav (2.59 MB, 3997 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive0.wav (2.59 MB, 4012 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive6.wav (2.59 MB, 4001 views)

st sie-q_lo+3,5,1_hi+7,3_drive15.wav (2.59 MB, 3992 views)

st sie-q_lo+3_hi+6_+2at3.5khz_drive0.wav (2.59 MB, 3961 views)

st sie-q_lo+3_hi+6_drive0.wav (2.59 MB, 3972 views)

bypass.wav (2.59 MB, 3961 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3.wav (2.59 MB, 3986 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_+2at3,5kzh_lowgain.wav (2.59 MB, 3971 views)

siemens w295b_hi+6_lo+3_lowgain.wav (2.59 MB, 3970 views)

Old 12th October 2016
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Boy never fails! Don't know if others feel the same way, but the hardware in the above samples has an excitement and a groove feel the software doesn't. Not to say the software doesn't sound good, maybe more something you feel more than hear. That being said, I'll never be able to afford the real thing..... Please don't use this as an hardware/software thing argument. I just always get more of a visceral connection when shootout samples are posted. Software is very good, hardware just hits the spot more for me FWIW..... probably not much!
Old 12th October 2016
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'll join the choir....so musical! Nothing so far sounds bad through this.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll add that the fact that you made it free for 5 owners is classy and much appreciated.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by old ghost ➑️
I'll add that the fact that you made it free for 5 owners is classy and much appreciated.
Yes - true. Thanks soundtoys, you rock
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BTW hardware aside it does sound great and a totally classy move on Soundtoys part. I really like giving money to them!
Old 13th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It raises the volume for me!
Strangely enough, i don't have any DC offset.

(vst2 x64 Rreaper Win10)
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage ➑️

(vst2 x64 Rreaper Win10)
That's correct. It raises the level, but not by the same amount indicated on the "drive" knob. The auto-gain does not fully compensate the volume - it just makes it manageable so you can easily get great distortion without blowing out your speakers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's correct. It raises the level, but not by the same amount indicated on the "drive" knob. The auto-gain does not fully compensate the volume - it just makes it manageable so you can easily get great distortion without blowing out your speakers.
Ok then! I still miss a gain compensation knob, but i know it wont happen.

Sounds great tho.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage ➑️
Strangely enough, i don't have any DC offset.

(vst2 x64 Rreaper Win10)
Me neither (with same config as you)

Edit: Oh actually it does. It was a Satson bus that was taking care of the DC!
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds great, still needs an output trim!
Old 14th October 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've been waiting for over a week still no License and today is the 13th, so I guess I'm out of luck...
Old 24th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I am so shocked that this plugin is aliasing like hell (Drive at 0dB)! What where thy thinking/listening? For $129 in 2016 I wasn't expecting radio tuning fx aliasing. I mean all Soundtoys plugins weren't updated since decades (and alias like crazy) but at least with this new development they could have invested a few bucks for clever oversampling / filtering techniques. This really is a bummer!
I don't want to be a nitpicker but just for comparison: the new Kush Hammer DSP EQ or the new Lindell TE-100 EQ - doesn't show any kind of problematic (meaning highly audible) aliasing at all.
Unless you are working in much higher sample rates than 44.1 this is (sadly) a fail.
Old 25th October 2016
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aliasing doesn't seem to bother the Soundtoys devs. That's why to me it looked like a nice update for the effects rack plugin, not really as a standalone eq I would use.
Old 25th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann ➑️
I am so shocked that this plugin is aliasing like hell (Drive at 0dB)! What where thy thinking/listening? For $129 in 2016 I wasn't expecting radio tuning fx aliasing. I mean all Soundtoys plugins weren't updated since decades (and alias like crazy) but at least with this new development they could have invested a few bucks for clever oversampling / filtering techniques. This really is a bummer!
I don't want to be a nitpicker but just for comparison: the new Kush Hammer DSP EQ or the new Lindell TE-100 EQ - doesn't show any kind of problematic (meaning highly audible) aliasing at all.
Unless you are working in much higher sample rates than 44.1 this is (sadly) a fail.
Anti Aliasing without oversampling is also possible
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
Aliasing doesn't seem to bother the Soundtoys devs. That's why to me it looked like a nice update for the effects rack plugin, not really as a standalone eq I would use.
Are you saying that using their plugin in the rack give em a better treatment ?
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Soundtoys alias? You sure about that? I've been checking most respected plugins for aliasing this last year in span and Soundtoys (decapitator, radiator etc) are really harmonically rich but also aliasfree unless you really distort them.
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Soundtoys, nice work!

Can you make it so the Effects Rack shows up in Pro Tools in either the EQ or Dynamics plugin category? I use it all the time but can't add it to the 'quick default' plugin list in Pro Tools which is a shame so I always have to go through the list

OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
Are you saying that using their plugin in the rack give em a better treatment ?
I'm saying it works for me as an effect eq (shaping the delays on a aux channel etc) but less as a regular insert eq.
πŸ“ Reply