The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AEA Ribbon Mics Introduces the New RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps at AES 2016!
Old 20th September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
AEA Ribbon Mics Introduces the New RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps at AES 2016!

Introducing the NEW AEA RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps!
  • 81dB of sweet, quiet gain with NoLoad™ high impedance circuitry
  • Featuring the CurveShaper™ EQ and variable LF control
  • Mic and line mode switch with two high-resolution front panel DIs
  • Effects inserts and built-in power supply in RPQ2
  • New look that reflects our line of ribbon mics
  • Brings out the full depth in condensers, dynamics, and ribbons

Visit us at AES booth #620 to see the new preamps!

-------------------

Choosing the right preamp to pair with a mic is as critical as choosing which mic to use. People spend years adding to their microphone collection but don't always consider how their preamps influence the personality of their mics.

The AEA RPQ2 and RPQ500 preamps were designed to allow your microphones to do what they do best – record the sound of your instrument in its full glory.

After years of user feedback, we have improved the design of the RPQ and added additional features to our new RPQ2. The RPQ500 has been rebranded to match the look of the RPQ2, but electronically it remains the same.

A passive ribbon mic is only as good as the preamp you match it with. The RPQ2 and RPQ500’s high input impedance unleashes the full bandwidth, transient response, and clarity from your microphones. With a massive 81dB of sweet JFET gain, few preamps rival their output combined with their signal to noise ratio.

The RPQ2 and RPQ500’s CurveShaper EQ enables you to extend the high end by adding additional presence or “air” – a perfect match for ribbon mics. The low-frequency control’s shelving curve helps reduce proximity effect, opening up new possibilities for close-up microphone applications.

Many mixing and mastering engineers love using the RPQ2 and RPQ500 purely for their post-processing functionality. The Mic/Line switch allows you to patch into the CurveShaper EQ while tracking, mixing, and mastering. On the RPQ2, you can add effects between the preamp and EQ stage using its balanced inserts. With your instrument, it is easy to plug directly into the RPQ2’s high-Z front-panel DIs.

Like our mics, we designed our preamps to have a natural and musical tonality. With their low noise and high-resolution, the RPQ2 and RPQ500's sweet and open sound are the key to unlocking the clarity in your microphones. While the RPQ2 and RPQ500 excel with ribbon microphones, they shine on condensers and moving-coil dynamics as well.

From top to bottom, the RPQ2 and RPQ500 were engineered to enhance the sound of all microphones.

We will start shipping the RPQ2 ($1499 MAP) and RPQ500 ($649 MAP) in October.

Read more about the RPQ2 and RPQ500.

-------------------

Feel free to post here! I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any!
Attached Thumbnails
AEA Ribbon Mics Introduces the New RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps at AES 2016!-rpq2-front2-300dpi.jpg   AEA Ribbon Mics Introduces the New RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps at AES 2016!-rpq2front_frontpanelindications_2000px.jpg   AEA Ribbon Mics Introduces the New RPQ2 and RPQ500 Preamps at AES 2016!-rpq500-small.jpg  
Old 20th September 2016
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Will there be an upgrade option for RPQv1 owners?
Old 20th September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi at4033,

Unfortunately, there is not an upgrade option. The design of the chassis and board layout are completely different from the original RPQ which makes it too difficult to do a direct upgrade.

Sammy
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Does the RPQ have the same preamp as the TRP? I used a TRP the other day with a pair of R84's and was blown away by how much better the TRP sounded than any of my other pre's with those mics.
Old 21st September 2016 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticus ➡️
Does the RPQ have the same preamp as the TRP? I used a TRP the other day with a pair of R84's and was blown away by how much better the TRP sounded than any of my other pre's with those mics.
Similarly I used an R88 with a pair of RPQs and after not liking what the R88 had been doing with any other pre in the place (API/Neve.Quad 8 etc) but the producer being insistent that we use the mic, we pulled the RPQs from the travelling rack. Night and day.
Old 21st September 2016
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
This looks really nice. Well done, AEA! I love the feature set and the new look.

Brad
Old 22nd September 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticus ➡️
Hi Patheticus and Trev,

Thanks for the nice words about the TRP! The RPQ2 preamp circuit topology is very similar to the RPQ2 but it has updated features like the CurveshaperEQ, phantom-power (since half of our mics need it!), mic/line mode, and DIs. When we developed the RPQ2, we took everything that we learned about making ribbon preamps since designing the TRP over 10 years ago, and tried to make it even better. If you like the TRP, you will love the RPQ2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
This looks really nice. Well done, AEA! I love the feature set and the new look.

Brad

Thank you Brad! I'm glad you like the new look! Our chief engineer, Nathan, designed the new knobs and I laid out the faceplate!
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyAEA ➡️
Thank you Brad! I'm glad you like the new look! Our chief engineer, Nathan, designed the new knobs and I laid out the faceplate!
The new knobs are great! Tell Nathan I said hello. I still haven't decided if I'll be attending the show this year, but will definitely swing by the booth if I do.

Brad
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
The new knobs are great! Tell Nathan I said hello. I still haven't decided if I'll be attending the show this year, but will definitely swing by the booth if I do.

Brad
Thanks Brad! I'll let Nathan know!

If you end up needing a pass to AES, let me know. I think our registration code is still working. Would love to say hello in person!
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Was Fred forssell involved in this one?
Old 13th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 ➡️
Was Fred forssell involved in this one?
Yes.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi,

is there a sonic difference between the RPQ2 and the RPQ500? It seems that the RPQ2 has 63k Ohms input impedance while the RPQ500 has "only" 10k Ohms. Also it seems that the RPQ2 has been internally ungraded while the RPQ500 only got the new look.

I want to go for either a pair of RPQ500 (preferred) or an RPQ2 and would be grateful for some advice.

Best,
Old 30th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino ➡️
Hi,

is there a sonic difference between the RPQ2 and the RPQ500? It seems that the RPQ2 has 63k Ohms input impedance while the RPQ500 has "only" 10k Ohms. Also it seems that the RPQ2 has been internally ungraded while the RPQ500 only got the new look.

I want to go for either a pair of RPQ500 (preferred) or an RPQ2 and would be grateful for some advice.

Best,
I'd be curious to hear this as well.
📝 Reply