The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Icon Pro Audio – QCon Pro X Now Shipping
Old 24th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denoiser ➡️
I would hook it up to midi-ox or bome's midi translator, turn the pot and send them log file.
I have off course dumped the event it sends. But in this case it does not send. They seems not to be interested, so they might already know the problem. In worst case it is a hardware design issue and can not be fixed in firmware. I think it is a bit strange the other users here dont do a quick test to see if their unit also has this issue.
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Any updates on whether the master LED's work with Logic? Are there any workarounds? Thanks
Old 12th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroix ➡️
Any updates on whether the master LED's work with Logic? Are there any workarounds? Thanks
The product seems to be dead from the manufacturer. No updates on anything for a very long time. Bitwig has them working.
Old 3rd March 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➡️
That's super disappointing, I absolutely love the look of these, price is fine and if they performed as advertised I'd love to get one. I cannot stand the look of the new Faderport range.
I was very disappointed with them. They don't perform as advertised - at least with Reaper and Logic / Mac Pro. I had a Control plus 2 SX. They were beautiful in my studio desk/ But that is all. They are a hassle, I sold them for half of the price. Never get basic function lights working after 3 years trying hard and getting in touch with Icon`s support. They kindly sent me a HUB ONE in order to solve some issues, but it didn't, besides it had an annoying hi frequency buzzing, so I stayed with the former power suplies.
I must alert people seduced by the awesome good-look of all their products.
They aren't reliable and not pro at all. surprisingly, I just bought a Beringher X-Touch , plugged it at the same conditions as my former Qcons ProX... and guess... everything worked on the fly. Faders are smooth (and don't tickle) and I didn't need dozens of confusing firmwares always bringing new bugs. The feeling that I threw up my money on those Icons just came back, so I decided to write and post this comments.
Sad, but is true.Thanks
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pelosi ➡️
I was very disappointed with them. They don't perform as advertised - at least with Reaper and Logic / Mac Pro. I had a Control plus 2 SX. They were beautiful in my studio desk/ But that is all. They are a hassle, I sold them for half of the price. Never get basic function lights working after 3 years trying hard and getting in touch with Icon`s support. They kindly sent me a HUB ONE in order to solve some issues, but it didn't, besides it had an annoying hi frequency buzzing, so I stayed with the former power suplies.
They aren't reliable and not pro at all. surprisingly, I just bought a Beringher X-Touch , plugged it at the same conditions as my former Qcons ProX... and guess... everything worked on the fly. Faders are smooth (and don't tickle) and I didn't need dozens of confusing firmwares always bringing new bugs. The feeling that I threw up my money on those Icons just came back, so I decided to write and post this comments.
Sad, but is true.Thanks
Huge bummer, I still look at these things and think they'd make a great center piece for me. Guess I'll have to wait for something to check all the boxes
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sad, but is true.Thanks
Yeah it's a shame that iCON don't have even Behringer's coding, and programming abilities. I've used a couple of their controllers and they were both flakier than my current X-Touches.

It's also a shame that Behringer didn't apply iCON's design approach to the X-Touches, particularly the raised display. Although the X-Touch ain't bad looking, I have to prop it up to view the display.

It's like every company that makes these controllers, misses 1 -2 key features.
Old 4th March 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Yeah it's a shame that iCON don't have even Behringer's coding, and programming abilities. I've used a couple of their controllers and they were both flakier than my current X-Touches.

It's also a shame that Behringer didn't apply iCON's design approach to the X-Touches, particularly the raised display. Although the X-Touch ain't bad looking, I have to prop it up to view the display.

It's like every company that makes these controllers, misses 1 -2 key features.

Yes. my friend... really a shame. Speaking of Beringher, I must admit I'm not found of their products here in my studio. I just have one, a handy `Miniamp` for headphones, working good for years and now this X touch. I was impressed, it seems like a huge gear with a ridiculous price ( as opposite of my former Icons)
Old 4th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's only ONE true "Icon" DAW controller and it's the mighty ICON D-Command (or Control) made by Digidesign(Avid) for Pro Tools HD/Ultimate.

ICON in this case stands for "integrated console" and you'd better believe it, as sound on sound called it at the time, it's not an 'add on' to Pro Tools.. it IS Pro Tools made into hardware (PT is just the engine).. at least as far as mixing goes (though post guys do lots of editing/spotting on them too). Of course you still do your screen based editing/comps etc on the computer... But no other controller, except maybe the not as good yet newer S6, was ever as tightly woven into the two way comms with the DAW while also enabling ergonomic, deep and very well thought out operation. The Cakewalk roland VS controller was sub-spec and too small not even 1/10th as good as D-Command yet still 10x better than ANY generic midi mix controller out there (inc Presonus's faderports/studio lives)

These rinky dinky ergonomic nightmare 8/16 faderbanks with knobs on using generic comms just don't cut it. If you're on PT and want true hands on, pick up a used 24 fader D-Command for a steal and find out what real hands on mixing feels like!

Yeah they cost 25 grand new, which is ridiculous (as well built and highly specced/extremely well designed as they are) but NOW you can buy them used for probably less than 3 x 8 fader banks of generic trash controller.. Pro Tools only but that DAW also happens to be the best for mixing/audio editing too.. edm midi guys need not apply I guess.
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
ICON D command stereo metering issues help - PT Pros?

Hi There hopefully someone can shed light on this odd problem eg a ICON PRo
Im Using PT10.3 HD with no issues doing mix recalls.

When monitoring any mix on headphones or Main/Alt/Mini monitors - I hear full stereo/mono albeit on LCR 5.1 output...so Left =ch1 right =ch5 (see i/o pic)

i then monitor the same mix via optical/AES/Spdif digital outputs via the on board stereo returns 1/2/3 all play on left side only despite mix still playing full stereo on meter ch1/ch2 when on main output monitor playback. (see pic)

So i decided to change the mix outputs to ch 1and 2 and this time the stereo mix plays on meters ch1/ch2 but only left side/no right channel on headphones or monitors and any optical mix/digital mix is back to stereo in headphones and monitors (see i/o pic)

my question is how to get both main mix or optical 2 track returns to playback on the same meters (eg either ch1/ch5 OR ch1/ch2 NOT BOTH AT SAME TIME) and always be stereo in headphones and monitors.
I need to mix and be able switch from stereo to stereo returns and not lose the right channel. the console has this facility on it monitor section.
i even tried to match 2 x stereo outputs on i/o and it totally wiped the metering all over the place.t...Trial and error is just not working.

Seems like a mad problem that has stuffed me to sort out.
the desk and all outputs are all ok and the digidesign imo manuals barely touch the full wiring output capacity of this console - so not much use either.

if anyone has a .pio i/o set up file to send over that would solve this ...then please do ...as this issue is wasting a lot of time to sort. before anyone asks i have fully reset the I/O and then recalled it back on several occasions ..nothing seems to solve this multi monitoring issue so far.

i can mix but it s a really annoying restriction. all stereo tests here are perfect but this digital default to l=ch1 and r=ch2 is mad as the d command works on 5.1
so any mix is generally outputting...left = ch1 and right = ch5.
i have tried to reset to stereo onl but no joy

Thank you very much in advance all - stay safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon Pro Audio – QCon Pro X Now Shipping-img_6178.jpg   Icon Pro Audio – QCon Pro X Now Shipping-img_6179.jpg   Icon Pro Audio – QCon Pro X Now Shipping-img_6184.jpg   Icon Pro Audio – QCon Pro X Now Shipping-img_6187.jpg  
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sad, but is true.Thanks
They seems to have very big problem with their software. Im guessing that it out sourced to someone that dont care and dont understand, follow the specs and nothing more.
Old 11th April 2020
Here for the gear
thank you but this is digidesign d command ICON.., not the qcon icon mess beta mess
i hear what your saying tho. thank you
anyone else?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixkidd ➡️
thank you but this is digidesign d command ICON.., not the qcon icon mess beta mess
i hear what your saying tho. thank you
anyone else?
You do realise you're in the wrong thread for the Digidesign ICON? This thread is about iCON Pro Aduio QCon Pro X
Here for the gear
many thanks blaz2002...
yes this was the thread the search engine provided...can you suggest where i should post please??? as not clear where digidesign ICON D command is here on this site
thank you
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixkidd ➡️
many thanks blaz2002...
yes this was the thread the search engine provided...can you suggest where i should post please??? as not clear where digidesign ICON D command is here on this site
thank you
Probably best posted in the Avid Pro Tools DAW thread.
Old 12th April 2020
Here for the gear
ok i’ll try that but very little on ICON
perhaps start a new thread

thanks again - stay safe
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
now posted over here - thanks blayz2002

Digidesign ICON D Command metering issues
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear
So I updated the firmware on my Icon Pro X last night. version 2.05(beta). I've only been on it for a day but all of my previous issues with this controller have seemed to have disappeared. I'm on Logic Pro so I don't know if the same is true with other DAWs but for the first time in about a year I actually enjoyed my experience with this controller. I will continue to test and report back but I have hope once again. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 12th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinidar524 ➡️
So I updated the firmware on my Icon Pro X last night. version 2.05(beta). I've only been on it for a day but all of my previous issues with this controller have seemed to have disappeared. I'm on Logic Pro so I don't know if the same is true with other DAWs but for the first time in about a year I actually enjoyed my experience with this controller. I will continue to test and report back but I have hope once again. Take that for what it's worth.
They they provide a change log? What version did you update from?
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
They they provide a change log? What version did you update from?
I don't see a change log and I'm not sure what my previous version was but for whatever they did, it's all working for me now. I'm a month in on this update and I seriously couldn't be happier.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I updated to 2.05. Still malfunction pots. You don't get back to the starting position with equal left-right movement.
Old 11th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi ➡️
The disappointing ICON route steared me to the very satisfying SSL Nucleus MK1 Route. 2nd hand these are in the same ballpark. You do pay a few hundred more for a 2nd hand Nucleus MK1 but you gain much in quality and features:
  • 2 Stand alone super analogue micpre's. These are €800,- each new!
  • Analog Monitor controler
  • Analog Heaphone preamp & volume controller with outputs for 2 headphones
  • High end look and feel. Everything feels high-end instead of not quite up there
  • Nice orange instead of blue led strips. Blue led is not good for you. Most of us know by now
  • 1 Solid unit instead of 2 units for 16 channels
  • Nice smaller but more HQ looking led meters per channel
  • Glowing backlit SSL logo in the middle of the console. You got to love it.
Just read all the thread and, as a Cubase user, it still seems the QCon Pro X is a good option. What scares me is the lack of customer support for what would be a $2000+ setup (I'd need 2 extenders) and a not fully trustworthy device.

The Nucleus is in another league (pricewise too), but is limited to 16 faders, and design-wise I'm curious as to how you cope with nearly horizontal screens and meters as opposed to the ICon more ergonomic raised back panel?

I really wish Behringer bought iCon or even better copied their design with a new X-Touch MkII!
Gear Head

Hi!

Question to all QCon Pro X + XS users (preferably using Cubendo): in a 24-channel configuration with 1 extender on the left and 1 on the right, would it be possible to have 16 regular tracks on the 16 leftmost faders and 8 busses on the 8 rightmost faders? And when banking, moving only the 16 leftmost faders while the busses stay where they are?
I'd be rarely working on a submix with more than 16 tracks and I'd be happy to bank left and right to work on a different submix, but I would want the same main busses (e.g. drums, bass, guitars, lead vocals, backing vocals, ...) always there on the right regardless of which 16-track submix I'm working on: make sense?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS76 ➡️
Just read all the thread and, as a Cubase user, it still seems the QCon Pro X is a good option. What scares me is the lack of customer support for what would be a $2000+ setup (I'd need 2 extenders) and a not fully trustworthy device.

The Nucleus is in another league (pricewise too), but is limited to 16 faders, and design-wise I'm curious as to how you cope with nearly horizontal screens and meters as opposed to the ICon more ergonomic raised back panel?

I really wish Behringer bought iCon or even better copied their design with a new X-Touch MkII!
If you went XTouch with two extenders and was prepared to go a little bit Macguyver, you could take off the necessary side panels, so they sit flush together and then grab a couple of laptop stands to raise the back to get a better viewing angle.

That’s what I did and they look pretty good. I would agree though, that the icons in principle, are a better design ethic. But the XTouch is probably more stable and has better drivers and firmware.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi!

Question to all QCon Pro X + XS users (preferably using Cubendo): in a 24-channel configuration with 1 extender on the left and 1 on the right, would it be possible to have 16 regular tracks on the 16 leftmost faders and 8 busses on the 8 rightmost faders? And when banking, moving only the 16 leftmost faders while the busses stay where they are?
I'd be rarely working on a submix with more than 16 tracks and I'd be happy to bank left and right to work on a different submix, but I would want the same main busses (e.g. drums, bass, guitars, lead vocals, backing vocals, ...) always there on the right regardless of which 16-track submix I'm working on: make sense?

Thanks!
It has nothing to do with the QCon. It is the MCU implementation in cubase that handle that. And on cubase 11.0 it is not possible to split a MCU. A avid is "orthogonal" to a MCU so they can split. However Steinberg was amost ready for a bigger change of controller handling, but for some reason it was removed before release. Maybe for 11.5. (and if that solve the problem or not I dont know)
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
If you went XTouch with two extenders and was prepared to go a little bit Macguyver, you could take off the necessary side panels, so they sit flush together and then grab a couple of laptop stands to raise the back to get a better viewing angle.

That’s what I did and they look pretty good. I would agree though, that the icons in principle, are a better design ethic. But the XTouch is probably more stable and has better drivers and firmware.
That was exactly my plan back when I was planning my new home studio in a small spare room: not the ideal solution but a very good price-size-feature-stability compromise, or actually the best possible compromise

However, before even starting that project, I am now in a position to build a studio in a dedicated place with less constraints of space and money, so I'd really love to be able to move up from that less than ideal solution

The challenge is that there is a huge hole in 24-channel controller setups between the $1000 solutions and those costing twice the price of my car

I might be heading towards a digital mixer solution which could double as a controller for Cubase, though I'm not sure these exist, it's a world I haven't explored yet
Gear Head

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the QCon. It is the MCU implementation in cubase that handle that. And on cubase 11.0 it is not possible to split a MCU. A avid is "orthogonal" to a MCU so they can split.
Thanks a lot for the quick and clear reply, much appreciated!

Quote:
However Steinberg was amost ready for a bigger change of controller handling, but for some reason it was removed before release. Maybe for 11.5. (and if that solve the problem or not I dont know)
Let's hope so, that would be great, not only for this specific feature but if they improved the controller handling overall
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Qcon Pro X fader clicking.

I came across this thread by accident and saw a few people say (2018 dates)that their faders click. OK mine did as well. It's a known issue and has been corrected. (no I don't work for Icon lol) Software drivers or adjustments DO NOT correct it. The fader board has been up-dated to properly repair it. It's simple to replace on your own. Since I have done it, the clicking is gone. You will have to recalibrate your faders once its installed for sensitivity though as this is normal.

As far as losing connection, that is also a known issue that has been corrected with the latest drivers or you could use Icon's multihub or any other POWERED hub.

I've used my Qcon Pro X for about 2 years now. Got a first gen that had all the issues posted here and since have corrected all of them with a little patience and trial and error. Hope this helps others.

Contact Icon Pro Audio Support and they will work with you to get your unit up and running smoothly!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This company is terrible! Both of my Icon controllers died today after 1.5 years and the company said they are out of warranty. Enjoy your controller while it still works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom604 ➡️
I came across this thread by accident and saw a few people say (2018 dates)that their faders click. OK mine did as well. It's a known issue and has been corrected. (no I don't work for Icon lol) Software drivers or adjustments DO NOT correct it. The fader board has been up-dated to properly repair it. It's simple to replace on your own. Since I have done it, the clicking is gone. You will have to recalibrate your faders once its installed for sensitivity though as this is normal.

As far as losing connection, that is also a known issue that has been corrected with the latest drivers or you could use Icon's multihub or any other POWERED hub.

I've used my Qcon Pro X for about 2 years now. Got a first gen that had all the issues posted here and since have corrected all of them with a little patience and trial and error. Hope this helps others.

Contact Icon Pro Audio Support and they will work with you to get your unit up and running smoothly!

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion ➡️
This company is terrible! Both of my Icon controllers died today after 1.5 years and the company said they are out of warranty. Enjoy your controller while it still works
How can they be out of warranty after 1.5 years? Shouldn't minimum legal warranty be 2 years?
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
How can they be out of warranty after 1.5 years? Shouldn't minimum legal warranty be 2 years?
I think that is different on different countries. Serious companies usually have more that minimum requirement and have some extra grace period. It's usually not that expensive if you have quality and gives a lot of good brand reputation, the opposite being cheap there and you never see that customer again.
📝 Reply