The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves releases Infected Mushroom "Pusher" Plug-In
Old 1st August 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
in what stage of the mastering process would you insert this plugin?
Old 1st August 2016 | Show parent
Deleted 53763de
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPtetrahidrop ➡️
in what stage of the mastering process would you insert this plugin?
I would right before the limiter, to use its clipping capabilities mildly and then limit with a different (more transparent) limiter. If not using the clipper/limiter then you can use it at any stage.

I think this, together with George Wells mixcentric work well as parallel processes too, earlier in the chain.
Old 14th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayal9 ➡️
In what way is is simlar to sausage phattener ?

I mean the controls, parameters, nothing is remotely similar or even the concept..
I dont need to market Slam Dawg anymore... its a hit... thats why waves copied it.. look at the knob style, naming of controls, design topology..
God, I hope they sue you for saying such nonsense.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one is really fun to use
Love the clipper,, could easy pay 29 for that.
Old 20th November 2016
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As this is currently on promotion and been out for a while. Anyone got some constructive in session experience with the plugin, wondering what users experiences are?
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
As this is currently on promotion and been out for a while. Anyone got some constructive in session experience with the plugin, wondering what users experiences are?
I really like this plug in. I find that it is great for modernizing and hifi-ing old or lo-fi source material. Are "modernizing and hifi-ing" actually words? No, but this plugin is great for adding a sheen, presence, and edge to dull or muddy sounds. The same processing could probably be done by using a few plugins you already own (maybe) but this is easy, one-step setup to get some great sounds.
Old 21st November 2016 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
I really like this plug in. I find that it is great for modernizing and hifi-ing old or lo-fi source material. Are "modernizing and hifi-ing" actually words? No, but this plugin is great for adding a sheen, presence, and edge to dull or muddy sounds. The same processing could probably be done by using a few plugins you already own (maybe) but this is easy, one-step setup to get some great sounds.
Thanks for the response Squeegee. Think Im going to save money and pass. I had a demo and didn't really take to it, think I have enough in the vst arsenal to deal with the task. Maybe wrong but I feel in hindsight Id be paying for convenience rather than a new plugin "wow"factor.
Old 22nd November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
Thanks for the response Squeegee. Think Im going to save money and pass. I had a demo and didn't really take to it, think I have enough in the vst arsenal to deal with the task. Maybe wrong but I feel in hindsight Id be paying for convenience rather than a new plugin "wow"factor.
Yeah, you probably have saturation plugins, multiband compressors/limiters and other plugins to achieve the same sound.
Old 22nd November 2016 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
Yeah, you probably have saturation plugins, multiband compressors/limiters and other plugins to achieve the same sound.
Absolutely, realised that after a short session playing with it. It seems nice, but I like my personal fx chains
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
This is one of those plugins that all of us have a template of various plugins/outboard to do the same general thing... This just makes it faster and with only one set of controls!
Old 1st December 2016
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ended up diving in for it on the Waves CM30 deal, managed to secure it for $14 and glad I did, really like this on the drum buss for the money.
Old 9th March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 53763de ➡️
I would right before the limiter, to use its clipping capabilities mildly and then limit with a different (more transparent) limiter. If not using the clipper/limiter then you can use it at any stage.
Clippers are more transparent than any limiter in general.. I much prefer to use the clipper as the final plugin - and the clipper on this is pretty much the best I've heard. If I need a really loud master I will stick L1 after it and do a further 1 - 1.5 dB GR.

The 'issue' I have with this plugin is that it's clearly doing something even with everything bypassed and the input lowered as far as it can go. It doesn't null (in Reaper anyway) with the original audio.
Old 9th March 2017 | Show parent
Deleted 53763de
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch ➡️
Clippers are more transparent than any limiter in general.. I much prefer to use the clipper as the final plugin - and the clipper on this is pretty much the best I've heard. If I need a really loud master I will stick L1 after it and do a further 1 - 1.5 dB GR.

The 'issue' I have with this plugin is that it's clearly doing something even with everything bypassed and the input lowered as far as it can go. It doesn't null (in Reaper anyway) with the original audio.
Yeah, I agree if this was a standalone clipper, but I wouldn't do all the processing this plugin does after limiting. I also do not like the fact that I'm not completely sure about what it does sometimes.

I guess this, and mixcentric, are good for quick masters or a very slight "touch up".
Old 23rd April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The biggest downfall of this plugin - for me - is that you can't bypass the mulitband aspect. I would love to be able to do that just to be able to use the clipper/limiter on its own (or even the low end harmonic generator).
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Sale times again!

Could it be used on vocals? Thinking of spicing up a muddy low vocal that needs a little "preamp"?
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by komiie ➡️
Sale times again!

Could it be used on vocals? Thinking of spicing up a muddy low vocal that needs a little "preamp"?

Try the demo for yourself and see. I used on a vocal just yesterday. The presets are kind of over the top but judiciously backing off some of the parameters can yield very good results. But as always, YMMV.
Old 11th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
So that makes it OK to take SlyFy's product name and slap it on a competing product? I don't know how you'd feel if I took your song and said I wrote it... Hey everyone does it right? Same musical notes, chords and all..... Yikes!
That analogy doesn't work. These two products have the same NAME not the same content. As a matter of fact, many different songs have the same exact name. Just go to copyright.gov and search under any song title and you're likely to see lots of different songs with the same title written by different people.

However, if SlyFy had registered "Pusher" as a copyrighted product name, they could probably sue. But that registration is a pain in the ass so maybe Greg didn't do it or thinks people can figure out the difference between the two so it's not a big deal.
Old 13th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➡️
That analogy doesn't work. These two products have the same NAME not the same content. As a matter of fact, many different songs have the same exact name. Just go to copyright.gov and search under any song title and you're likely to see lots of different songs with the same title written by different people.

However, if SlyFy had registered "Pusher" as a copyrighted product name, they could probably sue. But that registration is a pain in the ass so maybe Greg didn't do it or thinks people can figure out the difference between the two so it's not a big deal.
Honestly, I think it's classless. I also don't think songs is a good analogy, there are millions of them, and I can write and register one in 15 minutes for $30-.

A software emulation can take years and a lot of money. Copyrighting is also a big deal to a small company, time consuming and expensive. Personally if I was releasing a product, I'd steer clear of others names out of respect, but hey that's just me.....
Old 13th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
Honestly, I think it's classless. I also don't think songs is a good analogy, there are millions of them, and I can write and register one in 15 minutes for $30-.

A software emulation can take years and a lot of money. Copyrighting is also a big deal to a small company, time consuming and expensive. Personally if I was releasing a product, I'd steer clear of others names out of respect, but hey that's just me.....
Yeah, I do agree with your basic point that it's classless. The first thing you do with a potential product name is a Google search, so they had to know about the "Pusher" products that were already out there. They could have called it Shover or Rammer or . . . Infectious.
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like this plugin but even with the slightest amount of dynamic punch added snare hits start sounding like they are random velocity levels. Is this meant to add random amounts of punch which vary? Anyone else notice this or just me? At least I can set dynamic punch to zero and the snares sound consistent.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The magic knob is what it is
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

Very interesting pro use of this plug-in demonstrated here.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_One ➡️

Very interesting pro use of this plug-in demonstrated here.
At least give us the time at which he uses the plugin...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
At least give us the time at which he uses the plugin...
About 22ish minutes in is when he actually opens the plug if I remember, but his process and reasoning is introduced earlier. The entire video is well worth watching.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_One ➡️
About 22ish minutes in is when he actually opens the plug if I remember, but his process and reasoning is introduced earlier. The entire video is well worth watching.
Thanks.
Old 26th May 2022
Still anyone using it? Or it is forgotten? I want to buy maybe someday
📝 Reply