The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves releases Infected Mushroom "Pusher" Plug-In
Old 6th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees ➡️
Do you feel the same way about Axis IP being 'stolen' from API?

It happens liberally everywhere across the industry.

This is not a big deal.
Unless I'm wrong, API doesn't have a product called Axis, so no I don't. Modeling hardware is different to me, maybe it shouldn't be, but it's obvious that Axis isn't an API product, but a software copy, which isn't the same thing (as much as software people want to think so). The product hype even says it's a modified emulation.

Now there's a Kush "Pusher", and a Waves "Pusher". Both are software, and the two products even compete in the same space, as sound enhancers. Where else has that happened? I can't think of another developer doing that.
Old 6th July 2016

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Tuned bass boost, mids taylored on Duvdev synths and some magic mushrooms...

You're the Supervisor
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
Unless I'm wrong, API doesn't have a product called Axis, so no I don't. Modeling hardware is different to me, maybe it shouldn't be, but it's obvious that Axis isn't an API product, but a software copy, which isn't the same thing (as much as software people want to think so). The product hype even says it's a modified emulation.

Now there's a Kush "Pusher", and a Waves "Pusher". Both are software, and the two products even compete in the same space, as sound enhancers. Where else has that happened? I can't think of another developer doing that.
My point is that everybody 'steals'. Whether a name, an idea or a knob shape.
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

I was gladly open minded about it. if it does something in a different way that sounds cool, I'd use it for something in a heartbeat.

but that video demo is terrible. when I could I hear it doing anything... I didn't like it at all. maybe it was that the material it was being used on was already over processed. whatever. if you're gonna but up an operational demo... it's gotta at least inspire me to wanna try it. instead... it really made me wanna stay as far away from it as possible.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My point is that everybody 'steals'. Whether a name, an idea or a knob shape.
So that makes it OK to take SlyFy's product name and slap it on a competing product? I don't know how you'd feel if I took your song and said I wrote it... Hey everyone does it right? Same musical notes, chords and all..... Yikes!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slate Digital Revival anyone?
Revival - Slate Digital
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
So that makes it OK to take SlyFy's product name and slap it on a competing product? I don't know how you'd feel if I took your song and said I wrote it... Hey everyone does it right? Same musical notes, chords and all..... Yikes!
You just like to argue. Meh.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
You just like to argue. Meh.
No, I don't like theft and feel Greg from Kush is an ethical person. He collaborates with others, and always has good things to contribute to the GS community. I really don't care about trying to change your ethics, so argument is pointless....

🎧 10 years
lol those demos.
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can totally accept that some people will decide whether they like or will buy this plug-in based on the fact that:
-It is named the same as another plug-in.
-It boosts and enhances rather than cuts and balances.
-It only has a few controls.
-It comes from Waves and they have WUP.
-The video and audio demos on Waves website are not favorable.
As for me, I'll probably demo it and decide based on how it sounds, the CPU hit, and how much it costs.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There's a guitar compressor by rotosound called the pusher. I think it's ok to call it waves pusher as its not a name exclusive to kush.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Rather than releasing new tools that do the same thing as a couple of their other tools combined, I wish Waves would focus on cleaning up their portfolio for bundle users. There is so much redundancy in Mercury, it's a mess.

I would rather see them build some kind of 'chassis' for their plugins, like a One-Knob chassis, a CLA chassis, a L2/L3 chassis, etc. So if you have any plugs in a series, you get the chassis, and as you get more plugs in that series, they just get added as options to the chassis. That way Waves could still sell the individual plugs, but things would be far cleaner for the owners of bundles or multiple Waves plugs. Older DAW projects could still access the legacy plugs as well.

Maybe this is just a neurotic, clean-freak, fantasy of mine but seems like I spend way more time sifting through my plugin folder than it should take, searching for a plug or type of plug, especially if it's one that haven't used it in a while.

More useful plugin names would sure be a nice touch too.
Old 7th July 2016

🎧 5 years
Slam Dawg

I do feel that Waves did kind of follow our plugin Slam Dawg ...., i have a strong feeling they saw the success of slam dawg.. and went for this

Slam Dawg - Audio Processing Plugin | BeatSkillz
Old 7th July 2016 | Show parent
Oop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayal9 ➡️
I do feel that Waves did kind of follow our plugin Slam Dawg ...., i have a strong feeling they saw the success of slam dawg.. and went for this

Err... Nice way to market your plugin on another plugin's thread. I'm betting yours is based off the 'Sausage Fattener'?

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

To be fair, this is the plugin I thought of when first reading this post (right down to the quirky name - unusual for waves and what looks like a new marketing strategy).

Congrats on being imitated by a major player! Contact them and ask to work with them on future plugs.
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Even with default settings something happens. A little magic can not be wrong.
I see it like a J37 Tape or other enhancers. Pimp it up.
But use it with care, it’s drugie. I like it.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop ➡️
Err... Nice way to market your plugin on another plugin's thread. I'm betting yours is based off the 'Sausage Fattener'?
In what way is is simlar to sausage phattener ?

I mean the controls, parameters, nothing is remotely similar or even the concept..
I dont need to market Slam Dawg anymore... its a hit... thats why waves copied it.. look at the knob style, naming of controls, design topology..
Old 8th July 2016 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I like it. This plugin is working for me.
A no brainer. $29, please....

As far as this looking or acting like another plugin, I don't know but, Waves got my attention by the price. Maybe that company should look at that model for themselves.

Waves is smart, sure, Slate came out with VCC first and it was a hit and Waves brought out NLS but lower price. Does the same thing as Slate's plugin and somethings better and some thing not.
Then they turn around and make it $49 for a week or so then raise it back up to full price. Constantly doing that for all their plugins and myself and you constantly go to their site seeing what's on sale next. Just brilliant.

Anyway, this is a great plugin. Bought it and love it for now.

Marc
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
By the way, all their plugins still come in RTAS and they work flawless.

Kudo's to Waves....

Marc
Lives for gear

29 bucks and they can't give it to us in Mercury?
Lives for gear

Glad Slam Dawg is a hit
Waves certainly have pulled the rabbit on this one... €24 and it does a great job!
Demoed it yesterday immediate purchase.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In what way is is simlar to sausage phattener ?

I mean the controls, parameters, nothing is remotely similar or even the concept..
I dont need to market Slam Dawg anymore... its a hit... thats why waves copied it.. look at the knob style, naming of controls, design topology..

Waves did it better! By the way they did copy also a compressor. The famous 1179 as CLA-79. They saw the success of the SSL Buss Comp and they copied it too. Waves is a badass...

So what are You complaining.
Old 8th July 2016
Deleted 9d8db46
My favorite "Pusher" is called the Master Fader.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9d8db46 ➡️
My favorite "Pusher" is called the Master Fader.
This could be right, or this could be wrong. Or something inbetween.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite ➡️
Waves did it better! By the way they did copy also a compressor. The famous 1179 as CLA-79.
Never heard of that one - the 1176 is reasonably well known though ;-P
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just downloaded and installed the demo but it's not showing up in either Ableton 9 or Reaper. I have re-scanned plugins. All my other Waves plugins are still there.
Edit: I scanned again and realised that I was mistakenly taking my progress cue from the spinning Waves logo and that the system was still scanning after the logo had stopped spinning and this time it picked it up.
Like what it's doing and bought it.

Last edited by screentan; 9th July 2016 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Problem solved
Old 9th July 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn ➡️
Glad Slam Dawg is a hit
Personally, I prefer DiAMOND CUTs as my mastering tool (but I believe the combination of CUTs and DAWG is the best)
Old 9th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thing seems interesting. Definitely not as gimmicky as I was expecting.

I'll need to do some testing with TBProAudio AM_LM (loudness match) to judge what it's doing to the sound without getting tricked by loudness...

EDIT: This seems like a winner, at least on drums. Being able to tune the low end by note is a very nice touch as well. I'd say it's a no brainer for the price.
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're going to call it cheap, at least add "cheap for a Waves product".

We have inexpensive world class products like Klanghelm MJUC out there.
Old 11th July 2016 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm always sceptical of these clearly consumer level 'all on one mastering/mixing etc' oneknob/a few knob type of things but I figured i'd try it out any since I know it's probably just other Waves code conveniently bundled in one software effect.

I tried it on a couple of tracks today and was really glad to see that I had control over the main areas I wanted and was able to get some decent results. I ended up ditching a couple of other plugins instead since I felt Pusher was doing enough of the same areas of processing. I'm nice that you can get it very quite subtle as well if you want and for £29 you really can't do wrong, even if it's just for doing a super quick mix for client or something.

I'd never use it for limiting though. I like a bit more control when setting up my limiters, and Limitless is the current software king there.
📝 Reply