The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thermionik 5 released, Recabinet 5 announced
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thermionik 5 released, Recabinet 5 announced

The wait is over, and Thermionik 5 is here now! 25 new amp modeling plugins out today.

Thermionik is Kazrog’s critically acclaimed, ever-growing suite of guitar amp modeling plugins, designed for complete tonal accuracy and control, emulating a wide range of guitar amplifiers spanning all eras of electric guitar from vintage to modern.

Each amp model is its own separate plugin, embracing the modular, integrative philosophy of the modern guitarist. Thermionik amp model plugins are designed to be used in conjunction with Recabinet – but you can use any other cabinet simulation plugin.

All Thermionik plugins support Mac OS X and Windows platforms, VST, AU, and AAX plugin formats. Each plugin has an options panel that includes options such as preamp and poweramp bypass toggles, wet/dry processing ratio, +/- 24dB input level adjustment, 6 emulation quality levels, force mono (useful in stereo-only hosts), and more!

Coming in February is the long awaited update Recabinet 5 - putting the focus back on cabinet simulation and modularity:

Learn More

Read the Kazrog Guitar FX User Guide to learn more about each amp model.
Read the Thermionik 5 / Recabinet 5 FAQ if you’re a Recabinet 4 user with any questions!
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Shane, looking fwd to checking it out... This looks amazing! New EQs and multiple impulses. The browser looks great.

I skipped the reabinet 4 upgrade offer as I was waiting for the vintage/classic amps... Oh well.

I think the "packs" pricing is a great idea!
Old 23rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Congratulations on the release, genuinely found Recab 4 to be a step up from the other amp sims, even S-Gear.

I hope to give the new amps a whirl soon, however my wife gave birth to our first kid last month - do you think you'll be running a sale in February 2022?
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2022 :-)
Old 23rd January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX ➡️
Congratulations on the release, genuinely found Recab 4 to be a step up from the other amp sims, even S-Gear.

I hope to give the new amps a whirl soon, however my wife gave birth to our first kid last month - do you think you'll be running a sale in February 2022?
There is a 40% discount coupon code for Recabinet 4 users who want to purchase additional amp model packs. You can find it on the FAQ page I linked to in the first post.

Congrats on your new family!
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ Kazrog ,

How do select the "options" panel for each amp as seen in the user guide?

The one which has presence, depth, preamp, power amp, force mono etc.

Love the adjustable oversampling options!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX ➡️
my wife gave birth to our first kid last month
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
[How do select the "options" panel for each amp as seen in the user guide?
Just select the options tab in the plugin.

Been playing with the original Modern Classics I and Boutique amps... They are brilliant... A real step up from Recabinet 4 which was already damn good. The 40% discount for R4 users is very generous too, and making each amp it's own plugin is genius. If I didn't have to do family things today I would spend all day just noodling with Recabinet 5!
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No sound examples?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt ➡️
Congratulations!

Just select the options tab in the plugin.

Been playing with the original Modern Classics I and Boutique amps... They are brilliant... A real step up from Recabinet 4 which was already damn good. The 40% discount for R4 users is very generous too, and making each amp it's own plugin is genius. If I didn't have to do family things today I would spend all day just noodling with Recabinet 5!
Any of the Modern Classics and Boutique models grab you for clean/slightly crunchy territory?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Recabinet 5!

The plugin name is Thermionik 5 ... recabinet 5 will be released only for the cab section just like previous recabinet products...

Enjoy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato rules ➡️
The plugin name is Thermionik 5 ... recabinet 5 will be released only for the cab section just like previous recabinet products...

Enjoy
I thought Recabinet 4 included Thermionik?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Any of the Modern Classics and Boutique models grab you for clean/slightly crunchy territory?
I'm only interested in crunch and high gain, which they do extremely well.

Quote:

Enjoy
Pedant! Technically yes but most people on kvr refer to it as Recabinet 5
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I thought Recabinet 4 included Thermionik?
Yes recabinet 4 includes thermionik 4 ... but thermionic 5 is a NEW product... and recabinet 5 will be separeted ..as far as i understand...

Even the title of this tread is thermionik 5 released / recabinet 5 anounced

one is released the other will be released

soo they are not the same... is normal folks use the same name but this is Thermionik 5 not recabinet...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm only interested in crunch and high gain, which they do extremely well.

Pedant! Technically yes but most people on kvr refer to it as Recabinet 5

LOL..don't take me serious mate.. im just pointing the actual name of the software... some folks are used to the old recabinet is recabinet.. but hey this is therminok 5

people can get confused if they talk where is recabinet 5? when the real name is thermionk..this can lead to a little tinny trouble..since recabinet 5 is not released and will not include amps... only cabs
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There is a typo : Recabinet | Kazrog LLC

For the 2 new bass amps, you wrote : "(new in Recabinet 4)". Don't you mean 5 ?

That said, will current users of Recabinet 4 get those 2 for free, or will we have to buy a separate IR pack ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes recabinet 4 includes thermionik 4 ... but thermionic 5 is a NEW product... and recabinet 5 will be separeted ..as far as i understand...

Even the title of this tread is thermionik 5 released / recabinet 5 anounced

one is released the other will be released

soo they are not the same... is normal folks use the same name but this is Thermionik 5 not recabinet...

Yes you're right, they've changed from recabinet 5 onwards

Thermionik 5 = different amp models. Each of them is a separate plugin, available as part of a bundle.

Recabinet 5 is a separate product.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes you're right, they've changed from recabinet 5 onwards

Thermionik 5 = different amp models. Each of them is a separate plugin, available as part of a bundle.

Recabinet 5 is a separate product.

By the way really good product ... and to be honest i like the gui since the sound is the most important thing the layout is "clean" nice colors(easy on the eyes) and i think is nice to have a pattern just like kclip..

now you can see this as a "signature layout" and it's cool since every single new thing released from the company follow this pattern you get used to how they look and you know is from the same company it's nice to create that "im home and know how to use this" kinda feeling ...
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't mean to hijack the thread but are there any news with the KClip?
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I used these to replace Amplitube Twin Reverb in a country rock tune. For a clean tone, I got the best results by turning off the preamp section on the Bassmensch, Blackface and Vocal30 models. The Bassmensch has a really nice dark and fat clean tone. The Blackface has more of straight Twin Reverb type of sound. All of these had a good tone that sat in the mix better than the Amplitube Twin Reverb. I ended up going with the Vocal30.

I also got a good chunky slight crunch from Damage 120 with the gain set to 0.9 on the Crunch setting running through Kalthallen cabinet in Recabinet 4.

I think the amp modeling is a real step up from Recabinet 4. I preferred the tones I was able to get with Therminox 5 amp models to anything I could achieve with similar Amplitube models (mainly Mesa Boogie and Twin Reverb). The Therminox 5 models seem to "play with the drummer" better than the Amplitube models. For some reason they do a better job of bringing out the guitar's musical interaction with the other instruments on the track.

I'm not working on high gain modern stuff at the moment (will in the future). So somebody else should weigh in on those. But I anticipate that they will be very good since that area has been a focus for Kazrog all along.
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A great suite of amps... I also required turning off the preamp for my use. My favorite so far was the Serpent amps. Can't wait for Recabinet 5!
Old 23rd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ wakestyle Re the Serpent - are you using the power stage for punchy cleaner tones? I presume so... Or are you cranking for power stage distortion?

Are you using something else as a preamp for high gain tones?
Old 24th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➡️
I used these to replace Amplitube Twin Reverb in a country rock tune. For a clean tone, I got the best results by turning off the preamp section on the Bassmensch, Blackface and Vocal30 models. The Bassmensch has a really nice dark and fat clean tone. The Blackface has more of straight Twin Reverb type of sound. All of these had a good tone that sat in the mix better than the Amplitube Twin Reverb. I ended up going with the Vocal30.
Cheers for the review, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Vintage Legends for my clean duties. Pls post some sound samples if you have time.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks interesting. Big fan of Recabinet. "Big 2x12" preset is awesome.

Looking forward to trying this out.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
@ Blast9 , that right basically I run my preamp FX and add it between the cabinet sim.
Here's a quick example that starts dry then i try two different setups quick.

]

I don't in anyway think my sound is conclusive in anyway but I think shows how it's warming up the tone in a pretty good way.
At first I wasn't sure if with the Preamp off the amp modes would change much, but they clearly do especially when using the Clean mode.
I am still not entirely sure how things work when you disable the Preamp but yes.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, sorry if I neglected this thread for a day - it's been an insanely busy week as you might imagine.

So, while I haven't had time to do much in the way of audio clips myself, some of my talented users are uploading clips already, and I'll keep adding them to this SoundCloud playlist as they come in:

https://soundcloud.com/kazrog/sets/thermionik-5-clips

Thanks to everyone who's answered questions while I was away from the thread!

PS - KClip is coming back into focus again and will be receiving a nice free update soon. Thanks for your patience with that!
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Happy Recabinet 3.6 and Kclip owner here. I wanted to pick up recabinet 4
but after demoing it realized that 2 or 4 tracks wasnt going to happen without blowing up a standard CPU, and on a professional CPU, it became evident that large mixes with high track counts of guitars, it was going take some concessions in the way i worked.

Im a fan of your software, but for higher cpu usage, no fx, no standalone (that i could find), and being a dev that is reputed as keeping prices extremely fair, the ask is a bit much in my view.
What i feel is the best software on the market can be had for $199 first time buyer, (def NOT A4) has extremely low CPU, low latency, standalone, TONS of FX, the whole 9 yards.

Just my 2 cents. I dont expect anything to change because of one mans opinion.
Old 25th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 ➡️
Happy Recabinet 3.6 and Kclip owner here. I wanted to pick up recabinet 4
but after demoing it realized that 2 or 4 tracks wasnt going to happen without blowing up a standard CPU, and on a professional CPU, it became evident that large mixes with high track counts of guitars, it was going take some concessions in the way i worked.
I appreciate the honest feedback. CPU usage has been improved in this update, and my users have all reported that across many platforms now. Recabinet 4 was a bit of a hog.

Quote:
Im a fan of your software, but for higher cpu usage, no fx, no standalone (that i could find), and being a dev that is reputed as keeping prices extremely fair, the ask is a bit much in my view.
What i feel is the best software on the market can be had for $199 first time buyer, (def NOT A4) has extremely low CPU, low latency, standalone, TONS of FX, the whole 9 yards.
I'm working on a standalone plugin racker/chainer intended for live use, that you can use with any VST or AU plugins. That will be coming later this year (as well as some new FX model plugins.) I'll also be battle testing it by doing my own gigs with it in conjunction with a MIDI pedalboard.

As far as the price - it's actually very competitive with just about everything else out there. I put a lot of research into the pricing to keep it fair.

Quote:
Just my 2 cents. I dont expect anything to change because of one mans opinion.
Honest feedback is what helps products improve, if developers are willing to listen.
Old 25th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
lower gain / accuracy?

I played with Thermionic extensively last night, with Recab 4. I'm not finding enough clean? The blackface sound is clean pretty much all the way up the gain stage, but that is the only amp that is really clean. I understand that some of the heavy amps like the 5150, DR, Engl, etc. have clean channels, but those are pretty worthless sounding... Not the kind of fat, character sound like you get from a good clean amp, more like the afterthoughts they are (even on the actual amps).

So I was excited to test the Bassman model (bassmensch?) But that thing is massively gainy! Gainier than any bassman I've ever heard. Gainy at .1 on the gain knob. I would love it if it actually sounded like a Bassman, and was mostly clean and fat. Ditto the Plexi45, which is over the top on the gain scale, and really should sound more like a bassman and have a pretty long clean range for the most part. Add to that a whole bunch of super distorted "jumped" plexi models... Gain for days, but... there should be some ability to get good cleans from a Marshall amp. Just based on real life experience, they are not gain monsters at a gain of 1 or 2.

The ACs are also much more over the top than I'd expect.

Also, when I do get a low gain sound from something by pulling the gain way down I'm hearing lots of intermodulation, or digital-sounding distortion? It's rendering a lot of the amps unusable for me unless I'm going for that over-the-top sound.

I realize that this product is built for over-the-top heavy distortion, but a little more accuracy (and a lot more clean range) in the few clean models you have would be fabulous.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ chargerel

As a matter of interest, is there an input level knob? (Before any gain knobs)
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These plugins are designed to be accurate emulations of the real amps. Nothing is supposed to be overgained, undergained, etc.

That said, there are a lot of variables when recording guitar DIs. This is why the Options tab has +/- 24dB of input gain range (48 dB total range.) Adjust that downward, and you will get results more like you're expecting. Also, if you have high output pickups, sometimes they clip internally before they even hit the DI, and you may need to turn the volume pot down a bit on your guitar.

PS - I have gotten similar feedback from some other users regarding some of the Fender-based models though, so I'm going to be re-checking the calibration on them prior to the next free update.
📝 Reply