Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR - Page 171 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs - AROUSOR
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundperson ➡️
Hi All

I've been reading GS since beginning but decided to join just now, so warm welcome for me please!

I've joined as I'm concerned this topic became overrun by single request regarding linking IO knobs... that's fair point, especially "click to match gain" idea... But i can also imagine it would require RMS rather than peak matching, so that means extra processing and extra CPU involved just for that utility.... C'mon is this what we really need from Arousor? Especially when Dave mentioned 10 more extra ratio slots available? Why not having BW limiter on your master bus just for speakers' sake?

I've read similar request towards Plugin Alliance's Black Box HG-2 recently and couple others before, where also long comprehensive explorations been given by its developers... I think they could, they'd just add it instead of replying over and over...

Dave and team, congratulations, V3 rocks! still can't believe it's real...

If possible please consider using negative ratios as well, if your product concept allows it of course - I can just imagine how awesome would be to expand using those specific ELI's curves!

From my experience, today In digital world, with all those new musical genres, in many cases when people say compressing, they actually mean expanding...

So why not to push Arousor there, making it a sort of Omnipressor of modern age?

All the best!
Yeeess please!!! This
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's a piece of art! Feels more like a lifestyle than a plugin
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Marketing Quotes

Bouroki and Soundperson - Ha haaa that is one colorfull description. Marketing wants to know if we may use your comments above as quotes in future marketing materials? Never heard either of those! |

And thank you, kindly

Last edited by Dave Derr; 3 weeks ago at 04:32 AM..
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr ➡️
Bouroki and Soundperson - Marketing wants to know if we may use your comments above as quotes in future marketing materials? Never heard either of those! |

And thank you, kindly
Dave, you're more than welcome to do so!

Arousor, nothing compress to it.

As it was easy to do, I've tested it back to back against my no1 plug UAD Distressor on various sources, including chopped white noise, drums with bass submixes and full mixes... more or less following blue dots ref. within reasonable time I was able to closely replicate most of my fav UAD Distressor's settings, both by ear and by watching metering tools - but in most cases couldn't make it the other way round! Which just proves Bouroki's lifestyle remarks!

Great to have both; since Distressor gives instantly classic results while maintaining tightness at all possible settings, Arousor takes off from that benchmark towards the entire universe of different scenarios and possibilities, while maintaining that specific colors and flavours we're all after!

Many thanks once again!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Bouroki and Soundperson - Marketing wants to know if we may use your comments above as quotes in future marketing materials? Never heard either of those! |

And thank you, kindly
Oh absolutely!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Arousor takes off from that benchmark towards the entire universe of different scenarios and possibilities, while maintaining that specific colors and flavours we're all after!
This is actually what intimidates me about Arousor. I’m not a big fan of infinite options with compressors. Much bigger fan of tried and true things that just work but still have some wiggle room to blow things up in a fun way. Typically I’d be more drawn to a 1:1 Distressor emulation, but UAD isn’t really an option to me. I still really need to find the time to demo it for myself, but I’d love to hear some opinions about how easy it is to get around it and get to where you want to be.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Arousor is dead simple to operate, do not be intimidated! A few extra features, sure, but they're easy to learn.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➡️
This is actually what intimidates me about Arousor. I’m not a big fan of infinite options with compressors. Much bigger fan of tried and true things that just work but still have some wiggle room to blow things up in a fun way. Typically I’d be more drawn to a 1:1 Distressor emulation, but UAD isn’t really an option to me. I still really need to find the time to demo it for myself, but I’d love to hear some opinions about how easy it is to get around it and get to where you want to be.
I know the feeling, but I wouldn't worry about getting lost and drifting across time vacuum until loosing the point... Arousor, despite being a digital thing, has GUI and UX that follows all good, old school analog principles.

When first time introduced to real Distressor, two things striked me instantly. First thing was how quick we've got the results - simply as quick as getting to the fridge and getting what you need; second thing was the ratio button - which was rather like switching between different devices, than adjusting a single thing... and Arousor got that workflow too, just more ratios and wider range of tweakable parameters, so once you've picked up the correct "compression program", you can't go wrong.

In terms UAD Distressor, to my ears, it gives a perfect scenario option, some folks like it, some not entirely... by perfect scenario I mean avoiding analog patching and sending a real thing back and forth through AD/DA - which can affect the overall frequency response... I personally like it, but if you'd read through GS, there's as many valid opinions as users. Arousor can replicate most of that qualities (there are reference markings), then twaek those further... But as said, it behaves like analog device, you can clearly hear what you're doing.

Last edited by Soundperson; 3 weeks ago at 02:40 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hey gang gang,

Is there a way to default to the larger GUI in Logic Pro X?
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
BLOCK DIAGRAM

Hola Friends

Here is the current version of the Arousor Rev 3 Block Diagram.

Attached Thumbnails
Major Compressor Plugin From Empirical Labs -  AROUSOR-block-r3-temp.jpg  
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mix.com ➡️
I think your definition of quick and easy is different from a lot of your users!
The minute I add Arouser on a track I tend to get WAY too much GR going and I immediately lose my balance. I then have to turn the input down to get my desired amount of GR then make it up with the Output. Everytime. That's the way a lot of us work.
Why not simply change the default settings to suit your hotter gain structure so this stops happening every time?

You guys talk so much of hardware and how that works. Well, for me, it works like I have a clear gain staging structure every mix and every hardware piece is setup to give a desired result with this so I don't have to fiddle around. I treat plugins the same way, so they all default to a setting that's rather close to what I'll end up with anyway.

I'm by all means not against the shift IO Link, personally I really don't care, but it's sometimes good to have.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo ➡️
Why not simply change the default settings to suit your hotter gain structure so this stops happening every time?

You guys talk so much of hardware and how that works. Well, for me, it works like I have a clear gain staging structure every mix and every hardware piece is setup to give a desired result with this so I don't have to fiddle around. I treat plugins the same way, so they all default to a setting that's rather close to what I'll end up with anyway.

I'm by all means not against the shift IO Link, personally I really don't care, but it's sometimes good to have.
Yep, exactly that. when adding Arousor with "5 in / 5 out" neutral settings it should be close from there.
1st thing I always do is compare to bypass, how is everything adding / removing and affecting gain structure, that my anchor.
Quote:

Oh I do! I have starting point for the majority of my plugins, mainly for gain staging. I didn't think the shift-click IO was going to start such an uproar for so many people, especially as an optional thing. It's kind of shocking to see so many people against a simple thing that they would never have to use if it doesn't fit their workflow.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

This really has nothing to do with I/O gain staging

This compressor DOESN’T have a threshold control thus it REQUIRES you add gain to get the level of compression you want, therefore the output goes UP at the same time and then has to be reduced by lowering the output knob which is not a killer but it is tedious
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
This really has nothing to do with I/O gain staging

This compressor DOESN’T have a threshold control thus it REQUIRES you add gain to get the level of compression you want, therefore the output goes UP at the same time and then has to be reduced by lowering the output knob which is not a killer but it is tedious
We're fighting a losing battle at this point. Pretty sad that it's not even a consideration since everyone in favor is pretty passionate about this OPTIONAL feature. Dave seems to have chosen to stop responding to these posts.

For those of you who wouldn't use it, we get it. There's really no point in trying to explain why you wouldn't need it. Those of us who would like it have been very clear about it being a workflow and speed thing, not so much a gain match 1:1 thing. Again, for the life of me, I can't understand why some don't understand that. People ask for features on stuff all the time on here that I don't care about and I don't ever make posts saying that it's a bad idea. Just because YOU wouldn't use something doesn't mean others wouldn't or shouldn't as well.

Quote:
Yep, exactly that. when adding Arousor with "5 in / 5 out" neutral settings it should be close from there.
1st thing I always do is compare to bypass, how is everything adding / removing and affecting gain structure, that my anchor.
That's excellent that those settings work for you most of the time. I can't imagine those settings working the majority of the time for the mixing I do. 5/5 always usually results in too much GR. My default is about 3:7, but there are times that I have to crank the input much higher before I hit the threshold to see 1light (1db) light up. That's really what I'd like linking for... to get have the IO linked until I see one GR light turn on, so I know I hit the threshold, and I did it while being a pretty constant volume. Then it's fair game with the knobs. With my workflow I'd generally use it when pushing up input until I hit the threshold.

I'm tired of typing the same thing over and over for the people who refuse to see our perspective. I guess it is what it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I see your perspective and respect your workflow, so no issues, just sharing what works for me.

Quote:
We're fighting a losing battle at this point. Pretty sad that it's not even a consideration since everyone in favor is pretty passionate about this OPTIONAL feature. Dave seems to have chosen to stop responding to these posts.

For those of you who wouldn't use it, we get it. There's really no point in trying to explain why you wouldn't need it. Those of us who would like it have been very clear about it being a workflow and speed thing, not so much a gain match 1:1 thing. Again, for the life of me, I can't understand why some don't understand that. People ask for features on stuff all the time on here that I don't care about and I don't ever make posts saying that it's a bad idea. Just because YOU wouldn't use something doesn't mean others wouldn't or shouldn't as well.

That's excellent that those settings work for you most of the time. I can't imagine those settings working the majority of the time for the mixing I do. 5/5 always usually results in too much GR. My default is about 3:7, but there are times that I have to crank the input much higher before I hit the threshold to see 1light (1db) light up. That's really what I'd like linking for... to get have the IO linked until I see one GR light turn on, so I know I hit the threshold, and I did it while being a pretty constant volume. Then it's fair game with the knobs. With my workflow I'd generally use it when pushing up input until I hit the threshold.

I'm tired of typing the same thing over and over for the people who refuse to see our perspective. I guess it is what it is.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

I explicitly sad I'm not against it. Why would I? I too believe it should be easy to implement and no one is forced to use it when it's optional. The whole discussion is getting absurd. I just wanted to point out why I think it's not a dealbreaker at all.
Quote:
I explicitly sad I'm not against it. Why would I? I too believe it should be easy to implement and no one is forced to use it when it's optional. The whole discussion is getting absurd. I just wanted to point out why I think it's not a dealbreaker at all.
Sorry, I wasn't specifically talking about you. You said you weren't against IO linking. There have been a few people who have been against it throughout this discussion and it's just frustrating. It is indeed getting absurd, I've def said my opinion on the matter and I know several other people agreed on adding this feature. But the reality is we're fighting a losing battle because Dave hasn't really replied to it any anymore and it seems like it's not happening. This is the first time ever I've been so open on a forum about a feature getting added I usually like to sit on the sidelines and watch and just use the tools I have. But again, I really like this compressor and feel like it's a feature that I would use a lot, so I've been very vocal about it. I apologize if I came off at attacking you, I'm just a frustrated mixer looking to make something better (in his eyes of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
I see your perspective and respect your workflow, so no issues, just sharing what works for me.
Likewise for yours. I've seen quite a bit of your posts on other threads and have always respected your opinions and advice. All respect here
Gear Nut
Quote:
ut the reality is we're fighting a losing battle because Dave hasn't really replied to it any anymore and it seems like it's not happening.
Remember: Dave is a guy running a not huge hardware/software company during a pandemic and is doing new construction. He deals with finite human and temporal resources; there’s only so much he can make / fix / reply to / or iterate this week.

He’s definitely heard everyone’s feedback—which is cool! We’re lucky we can give feedback 1:1 and actually get any replies. That’s super rare!

He -just- launched this rev, and he and the rest of EL are hyped. I doubt he is immediately jumping back into rev 4. I guarantee he will remember this thread when he does...and maybe he’ll re-examine what y’all are requesting. And maybe I’ll get my negative ratios!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hola Friends

Here is the current version of the Arousor Rev 3 Block Diagram.

I noticed the block diagram has a STEREO LINK control - is that just an internal thing when inserting the plugin as a dual-mono instance or is there some sort of ability to unlink that I’ve missed for years? (I went back and saw it was on the REV2 diagram too)
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Block

Superwack

Yup, it's internal to the Stereo version. But it can be unlinked in Multi Mono (or Dual Mono), if that is part of your question?

We had all these plans for external control and sidechain, but the amount of controls we started adding just messed the simplicity all to hell, and it became much easier to screw sounds up. Due to its topology, we had to add all these parts like VCA's, detectors , clamps, and hidden crap. Very doable, but for the CPU and danger of adding complexity... plus sidechaining probably only getting used 10% of the time even, we were like "Hell wtih it". We kept it simple. If it wasn't a feedback compressor, it would have been much easier.

I'll be back in the next day or two, but looking forward to my first family vacation next weekend... since COVID started. Yay! Our vaccinations will be in full effect, and sheesh, do I look forward to our first step back into normalcy... kind of.

Last edited by Dave Derr; 3 weeks ago at 05:42 AM..
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Quote:

If possible please consider using negative ratios as well, if your product concept allows it of course - I can just imagine how awesome would be to expand using those specific ELI's curves!

From my experience, today In digital world, with all those new musical genres, in many cases when people say compressing, they actually mean expanding...

So why not to push Arousor there, making it a sort of Omnipressor of modern age?

All the best!
Thanks Soundperson. And isn't the Omnipressor such a crazy creative tool? My ex-boss, and now good friend Richard Factor designed that beauty back in 1971 or thereabouts. There new plug-in does great job emulating it, making me smile last summer when I played with it. Brought back memories of diddling in Eventide's listening room when I was there.

It would be hard to have an Expander mode as they need to operate in Feedforward mode generally. But there is a trick I have thought about, and... I wonder what the additional time constants we employ would do for the sound of an Expander?

If some of you have not tried it out, check out the Eventide Omnipressor that Soundperson mentions here.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc...te/omnipressor
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
Quote:
NO autogain, just a simple shift-click option for linking IO. There's so many of us that would love this feature.
Time2mix, this is easy to do. We will just let you set the output where you want, and when you shift/drag the Input knob, every dB up will turn the current Output setting down the same amount. Output will be independant when dragged by itself. Not sure when the next Rev will be, but we can definitely slide this in.

Also, we are looking at the logic necessary to make resizing options independant of the presets, when changed. We may have to add a general Expert button, but this is something we have been thinking about for other options. We might be able to add it under the HELP menu to keep the GUI as clean as possible.

Next month, we hope to get our Preset Sharing Website page back up and running. We lost it temporarily as we recently reworked the whole site. I have high confidence Chris will make it easier and more useful than ever. With the new Opto and Soft Clip expert features, there should be some really new sounds and fun presets coming from customers.

Back to the Manual. Hope to have it finished before vacation starts next weekend.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can’t believe I missed the sale on this. Didn’t see the expiration date, and got wrapped up in a lot of life stuff going on. I guess I’m not meant to have it any time soon. Going to have to wait for another sale, whenever that happens. Deeply bummed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Heads up for a great compressor! Glad I bought it!
Quote:
Time2mix, this is easy to do. We will just let you set the output where you want, and when you shift/drag the Input knob, every dB up will turn the current Output setting down the same amount. Output will be independant when dragged by itself. Not sure when the next Rev will be, but we can definitely slide this in.
You're the man Dave!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Woo!! Thanks a million Dave. I am aroused!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We will just let you set the output where you want, and when you shift/drag the Input knob, every dB up will turn the current Output setting down the same amount. Output will be independant when dragged by itself. Not sure when the next Rev will be, but we can definitely slide this in.
That’s perfect. I really appreciate you adding this, it’ll make it so much easier to get things in the ballpark quickly.
📝 Reply