The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the Hazelrigg Industries VLC-1
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Introducing the Hazelrigg Industries VLC-1

We're finally getting around to posting about our new product. We were at the D.W. Fearn booth all weekend. Many people got a good chance to listen to the unit. And we got an awful lot of positive responses. Shipping January of 2016.

Here's the website:

http://www.hazelriggindustries.com
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nice!
What are the low and high selected frequencies?
Old 8th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja ➑️
Nice!
What are the low and high selected frequencies?
We ended up picking frequency points that we found useful. Then we took the unit over to Doug Fearn's and did some testing. Doug was happy with what we came up with.

One of the ideas behind this preamp is that we want people to use their ears to decide what sounds good and not rely on specific numbers - - we're going for an intuitive approach to capturing audio, rather than an analytical one.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Addict

Woah, a hefty US$2249

It must compete with other high-end tube channel strips? i.e. the Manley Core ($2000), Avalon 737 ($2500).
But it doesn't really fit in that category because it doesn't have a compressor. Might have to compete with the likes of the LaChapell 583e ($1475), but thats 500 series.

I'm looking for a character-full tube pre, the only thing my rig is missing, something like a V76/V72,
Would love to hear some audio clips, I would like to hear it up against the new Chandler Limited REDD.47 ($2300)
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteeno ➑️
Woah, a hefty US$2249

It must compete with other high-end tube channel strips? i.e. the Manley Core ($2000), Avalon 737 ($2500).
But it doesn't really fit in that category because it doesn't have a compressor. Might have to compete with the likes of the LaChapell 583e ($1475), but thats 500 series.

I'm looking for a character-full tube pre, the only thing my rig is missing, something like a V76/V72,
Would love to hear some audio clips, I would like to hear it up against the new Chandler Limited REDD.47 ($2300)
Shop - tritonaudio
Old 9th November 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
samsteeno, this preamp is the D.W. Fearn VT-1 circuit. It's all tube; it has no solid state components. I believe the Manley Core does utilize solid state stages. I believe (as does Doug Fearn) that you don't need to compress the signal going in if the preamp has the headroom to handle it. This is where tubes have an advantage.
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff004 ➑️
We ended up picking frequency points that we found useful. Then we took the unit over to Doug Fearn's and did some testing. Doug was happy with what we came up with.

One of the ideas behind this preamp is that we want people to use their ears to decide what sounds good and not rely on specific numbers - - we're going for an intuitive approach to capturing audio, rather than an analytical one.
I dig that a lot

If you turn those knobs and find results, that is all that really matters

Old 27th February 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We are now shipping completed units. Actually we have been for a month now, but didn't want to publicize it too much. We are down to our last 4 units with another batch expected to be ready in less than 6 weeks. So far we've had a ton of positive response and have sold many units to some higher profile people.

New website:

Home

If you're in the either the Philly or LA areas we can probably setup a demo. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Check out our latest ad in this months Tape Op.
New website, too. If you look, you'll see (among others) Spike Stent is using the VLC-1 for his vocal chain on mix down.

Hazelrigg Industries LLC | Hazelrigg Industries
Old 30th November 2016
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have been using the VLC-1 here for a while [acoustic instruments, vocals, drums, electric guitar..] and I have it side by side with my VT-2. It has been sounding really great on all of those applications. Compares incredible to the Fearn. Wow thats close!!

I am Digging this box!! Especially for acoustic gtr with my U4700 in Omni. Its got many delightful "sweet spots", IMHO. A stereo pair of these would be sick!!! I am on a mono box craze lately and this fits right into the stash of goods here. Its definitely not redundant to the Fearn, and has its own thing, which is nice.

Honestly, I LOVE how the center points on the EQ are omitted. You flip them around and make decisions that are real. Rather than get really technically concentrated, It allows me to "run with my ears" on a WAY easier level..

I dunno about you guys, but I am certainly guilty of "paralysis of analysis" and have learned how to shut that out when working. I like to make FAST, trustworthy moves on the recordings I do. This helps me mix my work easier. So the VLC-1 promotes that entirely.

After twisting those knobs around for a while, it really feels like you guys picked the sweetest spots on the amplifier to control/enhance. I found myself saying "wow" a lot! Especially with the bottom boost, but the Top boost worked quite spectacular for me, which is a surprise, since I hardly ever add top to anything.

Overall, I am happy to see this package in the market! It will be a stunning option for many clients who want a tube preamp that is organic, rich, defined and detailed, with a smooth as butter EQ for flattering what is already there. In addition the Instrument input and Line Input for mix down make the box more versatile. I have to say, having used my VT-2 for over 8 years now, I am extremely impressed with the Hazelrigg box.

Bravo gents! FANTASTIC box!! It lives right in my zone, which makes sense, since I already love and adore my Fearn preamps!
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
ORDER NOW
$2,249 Direct in the U.S.A (plus shipping).

Units may be returned within 30 days. Customer will be charged 10% return fee.
So if you order one and it turns out not to be your thing, it costs $224 to return it.
Old 1st December 2016 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
So if you order one and it turns out not to be your thing, it costs $224 to return it.
I have a VLC-1 demo unit available here if you are interested in seeing if its up your alley. It would cost just the shipping,
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
I have a VLC-1 demo unit available here if you are interested in seeing if its up your alley. It would cost just the shipping,
Hello @ Dow Mixwell!
Will you recommend the VLC-1 over the VT1 for my first tube pre ? Thanks !
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➑️
Hello @ Dow Mixwell!
Will you recommend the VLC-1 over the VT1 for my first tube pre ? Thanks !
Try em both and measure your preference against your budget. I’m NEVER selling my VT-2 for any reason
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Try em both and measure your preference against your budget. I’m NEVER selling my VT-2 for any reason
Thank you !
πŸ“ Reply