Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM - Page 198 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Launches The VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM
Old 4th July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingslayer ➡️
Hi Guys,

I purchased a VMS last year around the time the pandemic broke out. I had the mic and pre, I was using it with an ssl2 interface so the conversion was nothing special. I got truly fantastic recordings. The bluebird add on is honestly something else, the 251 on there is exceptional. I had one or two high end mics before, not vintage valve mics but still high end and the VMS was better.

Then my studio got broken into and almost gutted, no more VMS or anything. The gardai (police in ireland) just said tough and that was that. After almost being suicidal I decided I was going to rebuild and so I got a loan out, which is probably too much for someone as young as me but hey what can you do.

I purchased a Townsend Labs Sphere last week because almost all the reviews on the internet say it’s better than the slate so I decided if it’s better than what I already had it will be amazing. My setup is the Sphere running into a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X.

I’m so disappointed in the sphere it’s not funny, it has great low end and depth but the highs don’t compare to the VMS. Not in a boost it with eq sort of way either. There’s something funny in the upper mids that stay on all the emulations and it lacks the open air of a lot of the VMS models.

In my opinion the slate can be a little light on the bottom but it’s so much easier to boost that compared to fixing the sphere problems.

I will be returning the sphere and getting the VMS.

Hope this helps anybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingslayer ➡️
Sorry also what I will say is I was disappointed with Slate support after my studio was broken into, I had all the add ons packs for VMS, was an all access pass user and when I contacted support depressed and almost suicidal for some little help like a discount or even any kind of help, I got no reply.

Universal audio on the other hand were out of this world, upon receiving a police report they couldn’t do enough to help, in their case discounts on plugins after I bought the Apollo. To them I will be eternally thankful and will stay with their interfaces till the end.

Thanks
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Glad you are back creating music again.

Thanks for sharing your customer service experiences. It's always good to know and be aware of these things.
📝 Reply