Quantcast
FabFilter Pro-C 2 compressor plug-in released - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter Pro-C 2 compressor plug-in released
Old 5th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, guys...after couple of day with this new plug in...what do you think about it? Will you keep it? Use it? Throw it away?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt ➑️
Totally agree except for the OS implementation part.
Seeing how big of a quality gap there is between offline OS algos I can only imagine doing it real time must be even trickier... just a guess though
A.
.. then don't guess. Go read what talented coders write at DSP forums (for instance the one on KvR) on the matter.

I have no idea why people suddenly have fetish for oversampling and think it is difficult somehow. Sure, you can have really innovative strange filtering solutions but there's nothing that makes x64 oversampling more difficult than x2 as far as I can tell.

Or maybe I just don't understand what some of you guys are on about? I agree that there are sound differences between various OS solutions but these are similar to sound differences between various well known filtering solutions. Does this mean that they are somehow "black magic" and difficult to develop? No. Not that I am aware of.

Having said that, I DO WISH more developers added the option for "ridiculously high" over sampling ala ChopChop/The Glue etc. I do feel like there is a difference, especially at heavy compression settings, when oversampling 64 times versus 2 times. Heck even 64 times versus 16 times (though this would have to be verified through blind test so as not to fall for placebo).
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
pwm model in the pro c will be ace as well , i do electronic mostly and pwm its a must !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
I have no idea why people suddenly have fetish for oversampling and think it is difficult somehow. Sure, you can have really innovative strange filtering solutions but there's nothing that makes x64 oversampling more difficult than x2 as far as I can tell.
No OS cult here, far from actually
64x probably isn't harder than 2x, but implementing a transparent, CPU efficient and low latency OS doesn't seem that easy, at least I haven't seen it that often...
A.

Last edited by Andy_bt; 5th September 2015 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th September 2015 | Show parent
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramBD ➑️
I've just been playing with it, and if I understand correctly, if you move the Stereo Link slider to 100%, you compress both m+s, if you move it towards 200% then it will gradually only compress what's in the little popup box (m, s, m>s, s>m).
So you can still have less compression on S than on M, but it's not as flexible in that regards as Pro-C1 was I guess.
This is the only way I can see to have that control. Shame, as the mid/side blender of v1 is one of my major workhorse mastering tools. Was uncomfortable being at home with at first, but eventually indispensable. Pity it appears to be gone in v2. I love being able to have the middle kick the sides or vice verse using variable sidechain detection sources. Great for moving stuff out of the way in time.

I guess using two instances is a cool way but can you sense the middle whilst only compressing the sides for example?

Any new modes would be welcome, I'll 2nd the shout for a PWM style mode...

-T
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW ➑️
This is the only way I can see to have that control. Shame, as the mid/side blender of v1 is one of my major workhorse mastering tools. Was uncomfortable being at home with at first, but eventually indispensable. Pity it appears to be gone in v2. I love being able to have the middle kick the sides or vice verse using variable sidechain detection sources. Great for moving stuff out of the way in time.

I guess using two instances is a cool way but can you sense the middle whilst only compressing the sides for example?

Any new modes would be welcome, I'll 2nd the shout for a PWM style mode...

-T
You can still have the mid compress the side by selecting M>S in the box of the link slider. And then move the slider above 100%.
What do you guys mean by PWM style? The only abbreviation I can think of is pulse width modulation....
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ahhhh awesome!! So it is possible. Yet to demo. :-)

PWM is a pulse width comp like a Pye, Dave Hill Titan or GR PWM-501... etc.

Notable speed and clamp with cleanness, to me, the ProC is the nearest in the box tonally to the grab of a good clean PWM like the Titan... A mode that brought the more colourful pye like pin would be good, although Waves did a reasonable job of it.

-T
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the explanation! Wow, thought I knew what's what, but I had never heard of that type of compression, will look into it, interesting!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW ➑️
I love being able to have the middle kick the sides or vice verse using variable sidechain detection sources. Great for moving stuff out of the way in time.
-T
You do not need two instances to do this. There is a m>s and s>m option. This means that you can still have the mid duck the side or vice versa. There's almost nothing you can not do with V2 that you could with V1. Sure, the single slider thing works a bit differently but you can have almost the exact same results still.
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
You do not need two instances to do this. There is a m>s and s>m option. This means that you can still have the mid duck the side or vice versa. There's almost nothing you can not do with V2 that you could with V1. Sure, the single slider thing works a bit differently but you can have almost the exact same results still.
Sweet - thanks B! great to now, not as apparent from the GUI... defo upgrading now.

-T
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There are only two configurations im aware of that are no longer possible in v2.

1. Inverted stereo linking, so left channel ducks rights channel and vice versa. Not something I do very often, though it has been known.

2. Simultaneous unlinked M and S compression. You will need two instances of v2 for this. However, v1 was also limited in that both M and S shared the same compressor settings. You could achieve different relative thresholds by adjusting the sidechain gains, but if you wanted different ratios or time constants you needed two instances anyway.
Old 7th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i wanna try tracking vocals through this would i be better off using the vocal setting or the opto?
Old 7th September 2015 | Show parent
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIRs ➑️
There are only two configurations im aware of that are no longer possible in v2.

1. Inverted stereo linking, so left channel ducks rights channel and vice versa. Not something I do very often, though it has been known.

2. Simultaneous unlinked M and S compression. You will need two instances of v2 for this. However, v1 was also limited in that both M and S shared the same compressor settings. You could achieve different relative thresholds by adjusting the sidechain gains, but if you wanted different ratios or time constants you needed two instances anyway.
Awesome. #1 is no biggie and #2 is an improvement... although I do often use the gain drives differently on v1 for mid/side portions. This effectively gives you different threshold offsets but the same comp. In solution 2 - it is more flexible in that regard completely!

Love Fabfilter... I'd love an update to the delay with more saturated tones in feedback - like a mini Saturn in the feedback look, and a reverb perhaps!

-T
Old 8th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agreed on saturation for Timeless... but leave the "clean" mode, too.

I was testing our delays, and I think the FF was the cleanest of all the multi-format/3rd party ones (most of the basic DAW-included variety were or could be).

In fact, I think Timeless can completely null.

So, it's the go-to here for that sort of thing.

More time would also be great.

Sorry... back to Pro C.
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can you reproduce the 1176 feel with this plug?
πŸ“ Reply