Quantcast
Barratt Audio releases Equavescent Equalizer Plug-In: Version 3 now available - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barratt Audio releases Equavescent Equalizer Plug-In: Version 3 now available
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Software Barratt Audio Equavescent Equalizer Plug-In: Version 3.1 for AAX,VST2,VST3 & AU

Equavescent 3.1 is here for AAX, VST, VST3 and AU.

We are pleased to announce Equavescent 3.1.

The sound of Equavescent 3.1 improves drastically on the sound of Equavescent2.

Equavescent 3 is an equaliser like no other. Our algorithms will not be heard in any other equaliser. These algorithms boast a uniquely clean and tight analog sound.

Equavescent 3 has drastically improved the algorithms of Equavescent including a new proprietary windowing algorithm that increases the tightness and clarity of the sound.
Equavescent 3 algorithms improve upon traditional equalizer maths.

The results speak for themselves.
The algorithms remove micro modulation errors often found in digital equalizers. These digital errors can sound ok when used in moderation to purposeful effect, but will add a digital haze which can easily ruin a mix.

Benefits of Equavescent include:
  • a clear lack of digital granulation, especially in the high frequencies
  • clear and tight low frequency curves
  • equalized signals sound more in phase with themselves, creating a smoother analog-like transient
  • the stereo image is considerably more defined when this equalizer is used on stereo sources such as whole mixes
  • positioning of signals in a stereo field is far more distinct

Equavescent is a ten band parallel equalizer designed for maximum clarity of sound.

Features are:
  • resizable interface with no gimmicks, everything on the interface has a purpose
  • phase shifting of individual bands
  • mid-side controls for stereo
  • peak and analog algorithmed relative loudness VU
  • negative phase boosts shown in frequency response, version 1.0.103
  • fft mode to adjust the size of the fft used
  • supports up to 8 channels
  • sample rate up to 192kHz
  • native 32bit and 64bit Intel PC VST
  • native 32bit and 64bit VST2, VST3 and Audio Unit on OS X
  • new MIDI control

Check it out at barrattaudio.com
Attached Thumbnails
Barratt Audio releases Equavescent Equalizer Plug-In: Version 3 now available-equavescentii.jpg  

Last edited by lbarratt; 14th August 2015 at 01:55 AM..
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Downloaded and will be checking it out. *smile*
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Works great and loving the highs! Seems to use much less CPU than original version. Thanks!!!
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Congratulation on the release.
A lot easier to use than v1. And it sounds good. CPU load is not high for me even with full fft length.
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the support.
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how much is it?
Old 11th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➑️
how much is it?
$100US
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It seems like one cannot register offline ?...

My machine is not connected to the net and all net services are shut down.

Is it so ?...
Old 11th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaParTea ➑️
It seems like one cannot register offline ?...

My machine is not connected to the net and all net services are shut down.

Is it so ?...
Sadly this is so. Tell me if I can help further?
Thanks
Lachlan
Old 12th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarratt ➑️
Sadly this is so.

Tell me if I can help further?
Yes.

Make it authorizable, please.

Auth only through the net is not a very good practice, IMO, and it may hint of some high levels of distrust towards legit users.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaParTea ➑️
Yes.

Make it authorizable, please.

Auth only through the net is not a very good practice, IMO, and it may hint of some high levels of distrust towards legit users.

No problem.
We are adding this feature now. It will be ready in next couple of days. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Lachlan
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Why do the mid, left and right frequencies for the same band show 3 different frequencies ??
I'm not aware of selecting anything that would have resulted in setting different frequencies for mid, left and right on each band ??

Very interesting eq.

cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
Why do the mid, left and right frequencies for the same band show 3 different frequencies ??
I'm not aware of selecting anything that would have resulted in setting different frequencies for mid, left and right on each band ??

Very interesting eq.

cheers
lbarrat might have a better answer to give but if I'm not mistaken, one premise of this eq is that the filters are asymmetric. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Very interesting eq.

cheers
This eq uses an optimal slope generated by some fairly unique maths made from Sin[abs(x)] components rather than Cos components. The slope happens to be 12dB/Oct. You can change the slope, but the optimal sound quality is at 12dB/Oct. Each parametric band is really a high and low pass filter made from two 12dB slopes.
I use the left and right if I want to fine tune the sound after I have it in rough ball park with shelf Q and mid frequency value. I included these controls because I like to work that way, but users can hide them.
Cheers
Lachlan
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for that info Lachlan.
Lots to explore.
I'm enjoying the demo period so far.
Cheers

Last edited by Beatworld; 12th June 2015 at 03:17 PM..
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like this eq. Different from my others. Anytime I am having a hard time getting where I want to be, I pull up Equavescent and it will get me there, and quickly. Very musical to me. A great funky tool.
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Lachlan,

Congratulations on getting version 2 up and running. I can't help but remember some of the incredibly hostile reactions you had to deal with when you released version 1. A lot of that criticism was about GUIs and basic functionality on all platforms and I think people kind of missed the point, which was the sound. I thought the sound was great and figured you would make the plug-in more reliable and workable over time.

So it's great to see that you've stuck with it. Version 2 looks great, works great and of course sounds great. You've alluded to other products you are working on and I'm really looking forward to those. Thanks for all the work you've done on Equavescent. It helps me get the sound I'm after. I use it on every project.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
Congratulations on getting version 2 up and running. I can't help but remember some of the incredibly hostile reactions you had to deal with when you released version 1. A lot of
So it's great to see that you've stuck with it. Version 2 looks great, works great and of course sounds great. .
Well said.
I think the GUI is great too and the sound is really something else.
I didn't try the first version but I'm really glad I've tried v2.
Old 13th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This eq uses an optimal slope generated by some fairly unique maths made from Sin[abs(x)] components rather than Cos components. The slope happens to be 12dB/Oct. You can change the slope, but the optimal sound quality is at 12dB/Oct. Each parametric band is really a high and low pass filter made from two 12dB slopes.
I use the left and right if I want to fine tune the sound after I have it in rough ball park with shelf Q and mid frequency value. I included these controls because I like to work that way, but users can hide them.
Cheers
Lachlan
It seems that the right freq is always further away from the mid freq than the left ?
If I try to change just the right all 3 change ?
Is there some way to just change the left or right freq on its own without changing all 3 ??

cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It seems that the right freq is always further away from the mid freq than the left ?
If I try to change just the right all 3 change ?
Is there some way to just change the left or right freq on its own without changing all 3 ??

cheers
Hi Beatworld,
The frequencies are not linear therefore the middle is numerically closer to the right frequency.
The left and right frequency will adjust independently of each other. When you move the left it will not move the right and vice versa, unless you try to move the left frequency above the right frequency or the right below the left.
Could you please confirm this? Does anyone else have this experience? If so could you send me your system details?
Thanks for your feedback. It is helpful and sometimes things do go unnoticed. I really appreciate it.
Thanks
Lachlan
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Beatworld,
The frequencies are not linear therefore the middle is numerically closer to the right frequency.
The left and right frequency will adjust independently of each other. When you move the left it will not move the right and vice versa, unless you try to move the left frequency above the right frequency or the right below the left.
Could you please confirm this? Does anyone else have this experience? If so could you send me your system details?
Thanks for your feedback. It is helpful and sometimes things do go unnoticed. I really appreciate it.
Thanks
Lachlan
If I adjust the mid frequency, at times left and right adjust as well.
At some point as you sweep through frequencies that behaviour changes.

For example, if I sweep left to low frequencies at some point the left stops changing because it is so low but the right keeps changing
Likewise, if I sweep right towards higher frequencies at times all 3 change then the right stops changing because it is so high.

When I change either left or right frequencies the mid always changes with it.

Update: and the Q control changes the behaviour a bit too.

In short, the behaviour of the interaction between Mid, left and right is very unpredictable.
I can't see any certain way to change just mid, or just left or just right.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Beatworld; 13th June 2015 at 05:17 AM..
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Actually the more I get my head around this perhaps it is ok

I guess for a start if you change the the mid frequency then the left and right must change too.
Correct ?

Likewise, I suppose if you change the left for example the mid might change too ?
And if you change the right the mid might change too?
is that it Lachlan, if you change left or right the mid will always change as well?

cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I adjust the mid frequency, at times left and right adjust as well.
At some point as you sweep through frequencies that behaviour changes.

For example, if I sweep left to low frequencies at some point the left stops changing because it is so low but the right keeps changing
Likewise, if I sweep right towards higher frequencies at times all 3 change then the right stops changing because it is so high.

When I change either left or right frequencies the mid always changes with it.

Update: and the Q control changes the behaviour bit too.

Hope that helps.
Hi Beatworld,
That is the intended behaviour. I have chosen that when you go above or below frequencies not available in the eq with a bandpass filter that you do not loose your Q setting, but on the other hand the frequencies in the display will show you the filters that you are hearing. This was a design choice.
Would users suggest I change the Q to reflect the frequencies that are being heard? This is a very simple change and I can put it in the next update.
Cheers
Lach

BTW Does anyone want to give me their impressions of the lows?
For example, with the maths at such accuracy I find the lows very precise. I love it for the growl on bass guitar, but sadly, I am not able to make myself sick and blow up my speakers with the subs on bass.
I am addressing these weaknesses in the next update with analog options added, but I would love some feedback. I am finally looking forward to the evolution of this product beyond a basic eq and all this feedback is really invaluable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Beatworld,
That is the intended behaviour. I have chosen that when you go above or below frequencies not available in the eq with a bandpass filter that you do not loose your Q setting, but on the other hand the frequencies in the display will show you the filters that you are hearing. This was a design choice.
Would users suggest I change the Q to reflect the frequencies that are being heard? This is a very simple change and I can put it in the next update.
Cheers
Lach

For example, with the maths at such accuracy I find the lows very precise. I love it for the growl on bass guitar, but sadly, I am not able to make myself sick and blow up my speakers with the subs on bass.
I am addressing these weaknesses in the next update with analog options added, but I would love some feedback. I am finally looking forward to the evolution of this product beyond a basic eq and all this feedback is really invaluable.
I use your eq especially on bass. It has great clarity, punch, and control.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS ➑️
I use your eq especially on bass. It has great clarity, punch, and control.
Great. That is what I had hoped. Fantastic to know.
I can always destroy a good signal with future options.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Beatworld,
Cheers
Lach

Ok I've got the intended behaviour now !
I think changing the Q to reflect the frequencies being heard sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could make it an optional user preference.

The bass is great.
I have it on an EDM song now and adding a few db below 125Hz with a low shelf works great on the synths and low bass stuff in the song, with the HPF set really low (9.6Hz) just to tidy things up.

Another thing I don't fully grasp yet is when changing frequencies on a bell band the db settings sometimes change ??

Being able to solo bands would be a great addition I think, particularly for doing sweeps and cuts.

Last edited by Beatworld; 13th June 2015 at 06:07 AM..
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Plus tell us more about the clip drop down menu.

No matter what option I select every time I open the drop down menu the tick is at the top next to "normalise to:"
It seems that selecting any of the options below makes no difference ??
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok I've got the intended behaviour now !
I think changing the Q to reflect then frequencies being heard sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could make it an optional user preference.

The bass is great.
I have it on an EDM song now and adding a few db below 125Hz works great on the synths and low bass stuff in the song, with the HPF set really low (9.6Hz) just to tidy things up.

Another thing I don't fully grasp yet is when changing frequencies on a bell band the db settings sometimes change change ??

Being able to solo bands would be a great addition I think, particularly for doing sweeps and cuts.
I will consider that as an option for sure.

I am relieved users like the bass.

I originally wanted it(two tears ago in Beta1) so that the actual volume for the bell is the same for narrow and wide Qs. That is, you did not hear the volume change as you changed the Q, rather you heard the tone change. This was a little to extreme at the time, so I compromised. The narrower Qs do not fully match the volume of the wider Qs, it just adjusts a little in between.
I am loving the feedback and I think this behaviour is due for review.

I will most certainly consider adding band soloing.
Thanks
Lach

Last edited by lbarratt; 13th June 2015 at 03:18 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I will consider that as an option for sure.

I am relieved users like the bass.

I originally wanted it(two tears ago in Beta1) so that the actual volume for the bell is the same for narrow and wide Qs. That is, you did not hear the volume change as you changed the Q, rather you heard the tone change. This was a little to extreme at the time, so I compromised. The narrower Qs do not fully match the volume of the wider Qs, it just adjusts a little in between.
I am loving the feedback and I think this behaviour is due for review.

I will most certainly consider adding band soloing. I have great respect for other developers work and do not want to straight out copy their features. i thought band soloing might be a straight copy of other developers.

Thanks
Lach
Ok thanks for that info.
I think the reason many (good) developers offer band soloing is that it can be a really useful feature
πŸ“ Reply