The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital
Old 3rd October 2022
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 
🎧 20 years
Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital


Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital

Chessington October 3rd, 2022 — Audiotonix has announced the acquisition of Slate Digital, one of the world’s leading software plug-in developers for audio creation and production. With a brand portfolio that includes Allen & Heath, Calrec, DiGiCo, DiGiGrid, Group One Limited, KLANG:technologies, Solid State Logic, and Sound Devices, the transaction further enhances the groups significant presence in the professional audio creation and production markets.

Slate Digital was co-founded in 2008 by Steven Slate and Fabrice Gabriel, with a mission to create outstanding digital audio tools for professional producers, mixers, and engineers. Since then, they have successfully developed many industry favourite software plug-ins, mixing and mastering audio processing software, virtual microphone modelling, audio samples and video courses.

“The Slate Digital team share many of the key attributes we have across all our brands; great technology combined with committed staff with a real energy and passion for what they do” comments James Gordon, CEO of Audiotonix. “Their history and reputation for building stellar software tools is second to none, and from a business perspective their success in building a strong subscription model adds another bow in how we grow in the audio creation market. Personally, I’m looking forward to working with the Grenoble and US teams, to support them with their aspiration to continue to innovate technically and commercially, and to have some fun along the way.”

Steven Slate states, “I’m so proud of what our team has been able to achieve over the past decade, and as part of Audiotonix, Slate Digital will have the resources to think even bigger and offer way more value to our customers. Audiotonix shares the passion for pushing the boundaries within the industry, and I look forward to seeing how Slate Digital unlocks even more possibilities for music creators. The products that will soon be released in this new chapter are the company’s most bold and innovative to date. I believe our loyal Slate Digital customers will be thrilled at what is to come.”

“Over the last few years, I have been working with the development team to pass on the skills and approach we have always had to our DSP work. Now having access to additional technology resources from Audiotonix will no doubt inspire the development team to new heights. This is truly an exciting prospect, and one of the core reasons we felt Audiotonix is the right partner for us to pass Slate Digital to” adds Fabrice Gabriel. “Personally, I am going to be working with the wider Audiotonix DSP teams to continue our knowledge share and algorithm development.”

About Audiotonix

Audiotonix is a global market leader in the design, engineering and manufacture of professional audio mixing consoles and ancillary products. With innovative solutions from premium audio brands Allen & Heath, Calrec, DiGiCo, DiGiGrid, KLANG:technologies, Solid State Logic, and Sound Devices, our products are used extensively in live sound, broadcast, theatre production, installations, house of worship, film production, and recording studios globally.

About Slate Digital

Slate Digital makes audio plug-ins, recording equipment, sample packs, and production tutorial content for music producers and engineers. Based in Los Angeles and Grenoble, Slate Digital was founded in 2010 with the goal of empowering producers at all levels of experience create great-sounding music. Its innovative products, including its analog emulation plug-ins, the Virtual Microphone System, and it’s All Access Pass plug-in subscription have been recognized throughout the recording industry.

Attached Thumbnails
Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital-aap_freetrial_backgroundv2_2x_1.e2a2743c648a41827ac61429188cf2ed.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2022
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Audiotonix Gets Even More Creative with Slate Digital Acquisition

https://www.audiotonix.com/audiotoni...l-acquisition/
Old 3rd October 2022
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I hope this is a good thing, cuz usually this sort of thing isn't.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➡️
I hope this is a good thing, cuz usually this sort of thing isn't.
My guess is the subscription modell with a high $ value could be the reason for people canceling outside US, at least for me. But yeah, what do i know
Old 3rd October 2022
  #5
Lives for gear
 
icecubeman's Avatar
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It seems that this is like Cakewalk route with Gibson
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman ➡️
It seems that this is like Cakewalk route with Gibson
And PreSonus Studio One with Fender.
Man, everyone is selling out at the moment. Is this all Covid fallout? Are things just really tough out there for companies right now?
It is quite worrying.

Slate has developed some of the best analog modelling stuff around. With the sub model taking over, they have certainly turned their attention to more 'producer tool' type plugins...along with 'beat making content'
That alone made me think that they are stepping away from their traditional role in the plugin world.

Maybe Slate just wanted to cash out while the company was still in good shape. In that sense, it must have been a hard decision as this is his baby.

Tough times. I hope Arturia and Softube remain ok.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Zed999's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
And PreSonus Studio One with Fender.
Man, everyone is selling out at the moment. Is this all Covid fallout? Are things just really tough out there for companies right now?
It is quite worrying.

Slate has developed some of the best analog modelling stuff around. With the sub model taking over, they have certainly turned their attention to more 'producer tool' type plugins...along with 'beat making content'
That alone made me think that they are stepping away from their traditional role in the plugin world.

Maybe Slate just wanted to cash out while the company was still in good shape. In that sense, it must have been a hard decision as this is his baby.

Tough times. I hope Arturia and Softube remain ok.
I suspect it's the opposite, with everyone stuck at home, commuters working from home having more time and no travel expenses there's been a boom for those who positioned themselves well. Great time to cash in if that's the case.
Old 3rd October 2022
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Sound Devices is legit which makes me think that this isn’t so bad. They’ve been responsive with support which is as good a thing I can say about a company; besides that they make good things - which Sound Devices does.

I only have the free Fresh Air from Slate but I know they have an engaged user-base. They’ll be fine.
Old 3rd October 2022
  #9
Gear Addict
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Yeah the recent SSL Bus+ is phenomenal and pretty novel, and a competitively priced for all of its slick (and very useful) features; Audiotonix doesn't seem to be getting in the way of in the way of their brands creating cool products.
Old 3rd October 2022
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I wonder if his VRS audio interface gamble lost a ton of money that the company just couldn’t recover from.
Old 3rd October 2022
  #11
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Guys thanks so much. I’m thrilled for Slate Digital to join Audiotonix. There will be many great things to come. Audiotonix is an incredible company with fantastic people, and is the perfect home for Slate Digital to thrive into the future.

Wishing everyone here a wonderful day and evening! If you have questions on the acquisition, the best place to visit is the Slate Digital Audiophiles Facebook group!

Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 3rd October 2022 at 08:57 PM..
Old 4th October 2022
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Hmm as one who also does live sound can I expect some Slate Digital on DIGICO?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
with everyone stuck at home, commuters working from home having more time and no travel expenses there's been a boom for those who positioned themselves well. Great time to cash in if that's the case.
Where is this still going on?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Zed999's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
Where is this still going on?
In the UK a huge mass of people have permanently left the office. It's been a permanent acceleration of something that was slowly happening before, it's even affected the housing market as people don't even have to be within commutable distance. I'm not talking about music professionals but Slate are aimed at the home/hobby market aren't they?
People I know now do still spend some time in the office, but it's become a one day a week or one day a month or ad hoc thing.

I don't know if you've ever been a commuter but wow what a waste of time commuting is. I'm retired now but I did once commute for an hour plus each way 5 days a week. I was ahead of this game and started working from home about 25 years ago and the difference it made to my life was huge both in terms of money saved on travel expenses but mostly time and stress. I mean I was spending 2 1/2 hours a day x 5 days = 12 1/2 hours per week non-payed commuting. That's huge. I gained a day and a half "free" time per week.
Old 4th October 2022
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Slate still sells perpetual licences? Ilok?
Old 4th October 2022 | Show parent
  #16
Registered User
 
blackcom's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro ➡️
Slate still sells perpetual licences? Ilok?
Seems like it, yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital-perp.png  
Old 5th October 2022 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
Tough times. I hope Arturia and Softube remain ok.
I will not be surprised in the least if those two would be sold to Peugeot (Arturia) and Volvo (Softube) and their first products would be called "Drive" and "Driver" (respectively)

Joking aside, I really can't understand how can a large scale plugin company (like Slate, Waves, etc.) can sustain. it is a saturated (no pun here) to death market.
Old 5th October 2022
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Russell Casse's Avatar
 
It can go either way, Apple bought out Emagic and turned Logic Platinum into Garage Band Plus.

Yamaha bought out Steinberg and they thrived and Cubase 12 is now stunningly great.

I’m not personally convinced by the new “devices” from SSL - it’s not the classic British engineering I’m used to.

So time will tell if this move for Slate digital will be positive.

I use a fair number of their plug-ins and I do think they’re very good at what they do.

Fabrice is a bit of an audio wizard imho.
Old 13th October 2022
  #19
Gear Guru
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk ➡️

Audiotonix announces the acquisition of Slate Digital

Chessington October 3rd, 2022 — Audiotonix has announced the acquisition of Slate Digital, one of the world’s leading software plug-in developers for audio creation and production. With a brand portfolio that includes Allen & Heath, Calrec, DiGiCo, DiGiGrid, Group One Limited, KLANG:technologies, Solid State Logic, and Sound Devices, the transaction further enhances the groups significant presence in the professional audio creation and production markets.

Slate Digital was co-founded in 2008 by Steven Slate and Fabrice Gabriel, with a mission to create outstanding digital audio tools for professional producers, mixers, and engineers. Since then, they have successfully developed many industry favourite software plug-ins, mixing and mastering audio processing software, virtual microphone modelling, audio samples and video courses.

“The Slate Digital team share many of the key attributes we have across all our brands; great technology combined with committed staff with a real energy and passion for what they do” comments James Gordon, CEO of Audiotonix. “Their history and reputation for building stellar software tools is second to none, and from a business perspective their success in building a strong subscription model adds another bow in how we grow in the audio creation market. Personally, I’m looking forward to working with the Grenoble and US teams, to support them with their aspiration to continue to innovate technically and commercially, and to have some fun along the way.”

Steven Slate states, “I’m so proud of what our team has been able to achieve over the past decade, and as part of Audiotonix, Slate Digital will have the resources to think even bigger and offer way more value to our customers. Audiotonix shares the passion for pushing the boundaries within the industry, and I look forward to seeing how Slate Digital unlocks even more possibilities for music creators. The products that will soon be released in this new chapter are the company’s most bold and innovative to date. I believe our loyal Slate Digital customers will be thrilled at what is to come.”

“Over the last few years, I have been working with the development team to pass on the skills and approach we have always had to our DSP work. Now having access to additional technology resources from Audiotonix will no doubt inspire the development team to new heights. This is truly an exciting prospect, and one of the core reasons we felt Audiotonix is the right partner for us to pass Slate Digital to” adds Fabrice Gabriel. “Personally, I am going to be working with the wider Audiotonix DSP teams to continue our knowledge share and algorithm development.”

About Audiotonix

Audiotonix is a global market leader in the design, engineering and manufacture of professional audio mixing consoles and ancillary products. With innovative solutions from premium audio brands Allen & Heath, Calrec, DiGiCo, DiGiGrid, KLANG:technologies, Solid State Logic, and Sound Devices, our products are used extensively in live sound, broadcast, theatre production, installations, house of worship, film production, and recording studios globally.

About Slate Digital

Slate Digital makes audio plug-ins, recording equipment, sample packs, and production tutorial content for music producers and engineers. Based in Los Angeles and Grenoble, Slate Digital was founded in 2010 with the goal of empowering producers at all levels of experience create great-sounding music. Its innovative products, including its analog emulation plug-ins, the Virtual Microphone System, and it’s All Access Pass plug-in subscription have been recognized throughout the recording industry.

I’m interested to see what ends up happening with this… not in a negative, sarcastic way… but, genuinely curious if there will be anything like bundling the slate and ssl sub stuff, etc
Old 15th October 2022
  #20
Gear Addict
 
doughnuts's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
i think you can kiss goodbye to the plugins being freed from the mixrack now that this has happened
Old 15th October 2022 | Show parent
  #21
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts ➡️
i think you can kiss goodbye to the plugins being freed from the mixrack now that this has happened
Was he still promising that? I gave up on Steve's promises to do anything like that years ago, just like the FGX2 that was going to come out in "Q2" 2016 😂
Old 20th October 2022 | Show parent
  #22
Brb
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts ➡️
i think you can kiss goodbye to the plugins being freed from the mixrack now that this has happened
put the vmr modules in the ssl channel strip controller with uc-1 control
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump