Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   High End (https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   monitor to replace Genelec 1031A HELP! (https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/577117-monitor-replace-genelec-1031a-help.html)

eclipse 1st February 2011 05:23 PM

monitor to replace Genelec 1031A HELP!
 
Hi
I have been using my 1031a for over 10 years and I blew one
of the speakers, so I thought that may be a sign that I should make a change.
I am in a pretty small room. I tried Barefoot mm27 and they were to much
for my room. I know that everyone here seems to love the barefoots but
i found that it sounded a little sterile and cold. This is probably because I am
coming from the 1031a which I am used to.
I have around a $6000 budget. Can anyone make any recommendations.
I am looking PMC, Focal, ATC don't think I am going to get all of them in a room for a shoot out here in Toronto.
thanks so much for the help,
Dave

StudioLogic 1st February 2011 05:26 PM

Try out the new Quested V2108.

Monitoring systems - studio speakers. Welcome to the world of QUESTED

John Willett 1st February 2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse (Post 6285101)
Hi
I have been using my 1031a for over 10 years and I blew one
of the speakers, so I thought that may be a sign that I should make a change.
I am in a pretty small room. I tried Barefoot mm27 and they were to much
for my room. I know that everyone here seems to love the barefoots but
i found that it sounded a little sterile and cold. This is probably because I am
coming from the 1031a which I am used to.
I have around a $6000 budget. Can anyone make any recommendations.
I am looking PMC, Focal, ATC don't think I am going to get all of them in a room for a shoot out here in Toronto.
thanks so much for the help,
Dave

PMC, Focal and ATC are all good.

I think I would add the K+H O300 to your list, though.



Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

eclipse 1st February 2011 06:02 PM

It is going to be impossible to get them all in one room
can you let me know why you like the K+H O300?
I have read they don't have alot of power

thanks for the help,
Dave

John Willett 1st February 2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse (Post 6285245)
It is going to be impossible to get them all in one room
can you let me know why you like the K+H O300?
I have read they don't have alot of power

Neutral and trustworthy.

Power is not really a problem, they are a nearfield.

Do you really want to permanently damage your hearing?

BradLyons 1st February 2011 06:26 PM

The 1031's were a standard for a reason, and most of those that owned them had them for a VERY long time such as yourself. When you say small room, what are the dimensions? What kind of music are you mixing generally?

eclipse 1st February 2011 09:49 PM

Hi
I do music for film and TV, so the music is all over the map.
From the speakers to the back wall is about 15 freet. and I have 12 foot
ceilings. The speaker will be close to the back wall.
thanks so much for the help.
I am going to try to get demo pairs of the K+H 300D and the PMC
maybe Focal
thanks so much for all of the help, love to hear from more people who
have gone from 1031a to something new
dave

Telefunk 1st February 2011 10:15 PM

Why dont you just buy replacement element for the 1031a?

I blew one of my 1030a couple of years ago and I called to Genelec and ordered a new bass speaker which was at my door THE NEXT DAY! (ok, I live in Finland but still...) and the best part: it cost 70€, if I remember correctly.

If I were you I wouldnt even consider changing from 1031a. After ten years you know the sound of 1031a totally and you're going to miss them quite soon.

just my 2 cents though...

Radiogal 1st February 2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telefunk (Post 6286243)
Why dont you just buy replacement element for the 1031a?

I blew one of my 1030a couple of years ago and I called to Genelec and ordered a new bass speaker which was at my door THE NEXT DAY! (ok, I live in Finland but still...) and the best part: it cost 70€, if I remember correctly.

If I were you I wouldnt even consider changing from 1031a. After ten years you know the sound of 1031a totally and you're going to miss them quite soon.

just my 2 cents though...

+1 thumbsup

If mine blew I´d do excactly this.
Love the Genelec 1031A..
Don´t scare me needing to replace them with any others.. wworried
jummpp

airmate 1st February 2011 10:39 PM

you seem to generally like them and you have been working with them for a very long time, so you should know them inside out.

i would really suggest you to replace them with the same models (or simply have them repaired). there might be "better" speakers, but you will lose so much time trying to fully understand them.

apart from that, the newer genelecs ar not bad either. i am working with the 8050 since a couple of years, and i really like them.

but if i were you, i would not make any changes just because of the thought it might be time to do so.

Telefunk 1st February 2011 10:46 PM

as we all know, THE most important thing about monitors is to KNOW them inside out, thats it.

eclipse 2nd February 2011 01:46 AM

I may very well just stay with the 1031a. I am paying to have them repaired.
I am just curious to see if using another monitor will improve my mixes or make it easer to make eq judgments. I don't plan on selling my 1031 right away so that I can change my mind. I understand you don't want to go to the latest and greatest because everyone else says it is great but I also don't think it is good to not fully weigh your options, it could make my mix's better.
dave

airmate 2nd February 2011 01:47 AM

i have just put a pair of auratones next to my 8050. it does make eq-decisions easier indeed, especially when it comes to lead vocals and guitar.

eclipse 2nd February 2011 02:02 AM

i also use avatone mix cubes which I use as a small speaker reference.
Which I love.
dave

BradLyons 2nd February 2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse (Post 6287019)
I may very well just stay with the 1031a. I am paying to have them repaired.
I am just curious to see if using another monitor will improve my mixes or make it easer to make eq judgments. I don't plan on selling my 1031 right away so that I can change my mind. I understand you don't want to go to the latest and greatest because everyone else says it is great but I also don't think it is good to not fully weigh your options, it could make my mix's better.
dave

The Genelec 1031A's have been and still are great monitors---but things change, as does the technology that goes alongside. What Genelec has to offer today provides higher quality amps with lower distortion, more accurate designs, etc. Again, not to say that the 1031A is now "bad", it's not---but again, time changes things and well there comes an end to everything at some point or another.

IMHO, the Focal line is worth a seriously look----I'm a very big fan, as I am of ADAM Audio and have been for some time. One thing to remember is when/if you go to listen to these monitors, remember you're LISTENING to them---the only way to really test a monitor is to do a full mix on them and listen to a CD playback on another system at another place. Listening works great for live sound, home theater, car audio, etc---but studio monitors, well......

You have a good sized room which is always good--let me suggest the FOCAL SM9's. These are more than your budget @ $7k---however they are incredibly accurate, yet pleasing to mix on. In other words, mixes sound HUGE---but are not colored or enhanced in a way that prevents you from hearing what is there or worse, adds something that isn't there! The bass response is absolutely amazing, you won't need a subwoofer with this to get thumping bottom end. But a cool feature is that these will function as either a 2-way or 3-way speaker.

Just my two cents....

aidyhall 2nd February 2011 05:17 PM

Genelec 8050's here as well, which are great speakers! I find them to be more neutral than the 1031's, so my mixes translate better to more systems. I'm also running them with Avantone Mix Cubes ...

Bugstone 2nd February 2011 07:09 PM

I have the Genelec 1031's. I remember being in a music store about 7 years ago and hearing the KRK Expose 8 (not 8t or 8b). I knew immediately that they were better than my 1031's. They were so musical and great sounding. I just wanted to stand there and listen to the great music, not the speakers. Keith Klawitter has a new company, KK Audio Labs. He says the new DS-8 is the best speaker he ever made. I would take him at his word. They are just under 5 grand. I bet that they are stunning.


KK audio labs

Bugs

eclipse 2nd February 2011 07:18 PM

thanks I will check them out
is the Trident Speaker out yet, anyone try them??
dave

RCM - Ronan 3rd February 2011 12:27 AM

I forgot the model number but Genelec introduced a "replacement" for the 1031A when they discontinued the 1031

jcc449 3rd February 2011 01:11 AM

If u want a pair that sound most close to 1031a then it has to be Gen 8050a. 8050a has a table reflection dip switch at the back which is very useful to deal with those 150hz bump that caused by the table or console reflection.

kraku 3rd February 2011 08:00 PM

Why not give a try to Genelec 8250A? They're fantastic and neutral sounding and don't need a subwoofer. I own a pair and love them.

porschecab 4th May 2011 12:08 AM

I torched one of my HT-208 (1031A) bass drivers yesterday. Anyone know the cost for one OR if Genelec is the only supplier now that the 1031A is no longer offered?
Thanks!

Slikjmuzik 4th May 2011 12:30 AM

I'm really wondering why noone has mentioned the Genelec 1032 yet?

http://www.genelecusa.com/products/2...onitors/1032a/

Or!!!!!......Step up to 1037's!!!(they are 3-way) Bwaahahahahaha...lol

http://www.genelecusa.com/products/3...onitors/1037c/

eclipse 4th May 2011 01:11 AM

They still have the old parts, just contact Genelec
I think it cost me over $300 to repair mine could have been
over $400 don't remember
it was not cheap

Digibear 6th May 2011 03:35 AM

The guys at Genelec are super cool and can fix anything! Give em a call.

Or you could buy one of the two pair (or both for that matter) of 1031A I'm selling :).


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Deleted User 23rd June 2011 10:01 PM

How good are the 1031A monitors?

There are a pair on ebay at the minute, really cheap...

Genelec 1031A Bi-Amplified Monitoring System | eBay UK

Thinking about investing swiftly...

digiframe 23rd June 2011 10:16 PM

We had the Genelecs for years here in the Netherlands for TV recordings/music... Great! Had to be replaced by another model for sake of continuity. We did a shootout and choose Dynaudio bm12a mkII (or try the Air series, I use them in my own studio... Very pleased;-)); they were very close to the Genelecs... Might be worth a try?

+1 to repair the Genelecs (great speakers)

Cheers!

biggadfly 22nd August 2011 06:29 AM

get your room tuned out properly with some of that loot you got there and you will have enough left for a pair of Meyer HD-1's. this upgrade combo will change your life.

eclipse 22nd August 2011 01:48 PM

yes I am planning to tune my room
I guess I have to have the new speakers before I have the room tuned?

MIKEHARRIS 22nd August 2011 06:32 PM

might be best to repair the Genelecs...save up and pushyour budget to the ATC SCM25's

Always good to have a reference you know