Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   For those we have lost. Memorials, RIPs and Obituaries (https://gearspace.com/board/for-those-we-have-lost-memorials-rips-and-obituaries/)
-   -   R.I.P. Tim Mildenhall-Gilles, AKA Rumblefish, AKA Slipperman (https://gearspace.com/board/for-those-we-have-lost-memorials-rips-and-obituaries/1369965-r-i-p-tim-mildenhall-gilles-aka-rumblefish-aka-slipperman.html)

e-cue 11th January 2022 10:41 PM

R.I.P. Tim Mildenhall-Gilles, AKA Rumblefish, AKA Slipperman

Slipperman has left us.

His smart ass wit was one of the things that made the internet more enjoyable to me. But his "Recording Distorted
Guitars Thread From Hell" was a legendary read. ( https://archive.org/stream/Slipperma...on%29_djvu.txt ). Community colleges all around the globe should study his use of profanity.

He worked on some really great hardcore records. Partial disco here:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-gilles-mn0000929262

Condolences to his wife, Jennene Mildenhall-Gilles, the Big Blue Meanie crew, his friends and family.

I will miss him greatly.

Capashitor 11th January 2022 10:53 PM

Rest in peace

latestflavor 11th January 2022 10:59 PM

wow, that's a bummer it seems like he just moved to the land down under just a few months ago. RIP.

studiojimi 12th January 2022 12:18 AM

SAD news about Tim aka Slipperman

Thanks for the memories audio soldier

You were one of our best.

Jimmy Hunter aka studiojimi
www.jimbojamz.com
www.jimmyhunter.com

Drumsound 12th January 2022 03:34 AM

What a drag. Was he sick?

studiojimi 12th January 2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumsound (Post 15803937)
What a drag. Was he sick?

no clue...i got an email from another cat.

all i know is that he moved down under fairly recently where his wife was from

Mixerman 12th January 2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-cue (Post 15803577)
Slipperman has left us.

His smart ass wit was one of the things that made the internet more enjoyable to me. But his "Recording Distorted
Guitars Thread From Hell" was a legendary read. ( https://archive.org/stream/Slipperma...on%29_djvu.txt ). Community colleges all around the globe should study his use of profanity.

He worked on some really great hardcore records. Partial disco here:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-gilles-mn0000929262

Condolences to his wife, Jennene Mildenhall-Gilles, the Big Blue Meanie crew, his friends and family.

I will miss him greatly.

RIP Slippy. We had a lot of fun together on the internet and in life.

iomegaman 16th January 2022 06:26 PM

RIP to a man who was larger than life, brilliant and good. You will be missed.

JSchlomo 16th January 2022 06:41 PM

Terrible news! Such a strong and unique character.

Karloff70 16th January 2022 06:51 PM

Shit....RIP Slipperman, and thank you for the joy and wisdom!! There was a lot of both shared.

Timo3 16th January 2022 08:40 PM

One of Utica's talents has joined the cosmic frontiers. Prayers to Family & Friends

Barish 17th January 2022 12:33 AM

Safe travels, Tim. You are sorely missed already.

ionian 17th January 2022 12:42 AM

RIP Slippy, and I mean this with all due respect

HOHOHO

henryrobinett 17th January 2022 12:46 AM

I loved the series he wrote for Tape Op. I was just thinking about him a few days ago RIP.

GeneHall 17th January 2022 01:20 AM

While did stay in loose contact after his move to Tassie, my wife and I had him over in our home studio and had a blast. Good food, working on music,talking about life and our former lives in NYC and surroundings and the shared strangeness of relocating down under.
I'm absolutely shocked to hear of his passing. He did have ongoing serious health issues but I never considered that it was life threatening.
RIP big dude

Dave_Ionic 17th January 2022 02:09 AM

Wow he was always funny . I related to the smart ass but not take himself to seriously attitude. In the end he always delivered the knowledge. R.I.P.

bifurcator 17th January 2022 02:10 AM

RIP

thethrillfactor 17th January 2022 04:02 AM

Wow, my midi recall brother from another mother.
Really sad to hear.

Your contributions really helped build this forum in the first decade.
Rest in peace Slipp.
Will miss you.yingyang

Ricardus 17th January 2022 05:13 AM

He's from my hometown and I knew him since 1982. Did lighting for one of his bands in the 80s. He was family. The shit we did on the road in the 80s back in the day was unbelievable. To this day I'm surprised no one got hurt! He will be missed.

Helped build Big Blue with him and his wife, and Partners Joe and Tom, in 1999 or so in the old Quantum Recording building at 512 Patterson Plank in Jersey City.

RIP

Jules 18th January 2022 04:53 PM

Awesome dude and sorely missed

What a bummer....

We once played a covert "manipulate the manipulators" stunt together with Island Records, UK A&R department - got just what we wanted! jkthtyrt

Loved that guy!

A lot.

RIP.

Thanks for everything you did here.

bifurcator 18th January 2022 11:59 PM

quantum sound ... i'll have to check out the new location. that helmet single has the track off the Crow soundtrack! :amaze:

Whitecat 19th January 2022 10:25 AM

RIP Slipperman. He was one of the OGs here and was great fun to have around. Condolences to all friends & family. :(

Timo3 20th January 2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo3 (Post 15811785)
One of Utica's talents has joined the cosmic frontiers. Prayers to Family & Friends

https://www.uticaod.com/obituaries/pnys0135877

iomegaman 20th January 2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo3 (Post 15818079)

Beautiful Obit.

And for those who care to hear his voice here's him playing drums, mixing and singing on the very first CAPE song from PSW Basement/Mixerman forum years ago...the lead singer was supposed to be one of the interns there that encountered a rough patch...Tim stepped in and sang his heart out...he mixed all the parts and played drums as well...besides all the magic he was capable of.

Soundcloud link to song

NathanEldred 21st January 2022 07:08 AM

RIP Tim

JSchlomo 21st January 2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iomegaman (Post 15818442)
Beautiful Obit.

And for those who care to hear his voice here's him playing drums, mixing and singing on the very first CAPE song from PSW Basement/Mixerman forum years ago...the lead singer was supposed to be one of the interns there that encountered a rough patch...Tim stepped in and sang his heart out...he mixed all the parts and played drums as well...besides all the magic he was capable of.

Soundcloud link to song

Thanx for sharing, cool tune! Did he really sing "The Massenburg is burning"?:lol:

iomegaman 21st January 2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSchlomo (Post 15820453)
Thanx for sharing, cool tune! Did he really sing "The Massenburg is burning"?:lol:

Yes, unfortunately I was the one who wrote the lyrics...it was based on the flame wars when Massenburg shut down his forum because he got tired of dealing with that crap...most folks don't remember he had a forum at all.

Ricardus 21st January 2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iomegaman (Post 15820473)
Yes, unfortunately I was the one who wrote the lyrics...it was based on the flame wars when Massenburg shut down his forum because he got tired of dealing with that crap...most folks don't remember he had a forum at all.

You mean the EQ magazine forums when him, Ed Cherney, and Roger Nichols all had their own forums up there?

iomegaman 21st January 2022 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardus (Post 15820611)
You mean the EQ magazine forums when him, Ed Cherney, and Roger Nichols all had their own forums up there?

It might have been that one, or it may have been on the MPN site...not sure...I just remember there was a bit of a flame war when a certain unnamed mixing enthusiast had his own forum and sort of targeted Georges forums over a disagreement on something trivial like bit depth or some other such nonsense...George himself was not the target but one of the posters was...a persona that went by the handle of "Popstar" who George would not ban...so the forum was flooded with scam accounts like "Popstar 2112" etc...until GM said "enough" and shut it all down.

I won't tell you how I knew the inside truth, but I still have digital records of all of it...it was a weird season on Audio forums and honestly Slipperman pretty much avoided the heavy drama of it all...he was to gregarious to be a real meanie...

So thats the back story to the song...Tim made it work.

Barish 22nd January 2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iomegaman (Post 15820690)
It might have been that one, or it may have been on the MPN site...not sure...I just remember there was a bit of a flame war when a certain unnamed mixing enthusiast had his own forum and sort of targeted Georges forums over a disagreement on something trivial like bit depth or some other such nonsense...George himself was not the target but one of the posters was...a persona that went by the handle of "Popstar" who George would not ban...so the forum was flooded with scam accounts like "Popstar 2112" etc...until GM said "enough" and shut it all down.

I won't tell you how I knew the inside truth, but I still have digital records of all of it...it was a weird season on Audio forums and honestly Slipperman pretty much avoided the heavy drama of it all...he was to gregarious to be a real meanie...

So thats the back story to the song...Tim made it work.

George also had a forum at Prosoundweb at some point if my memory serves me. That was so long time ago that I can't remember. Tim sang and mixed another song before yours in one of those CaPE sessions that was about the late Loudist, aka Steve Gursky, who was known for his work with Crosby Stills and Nash brigade. They are both on the other side now and we are just loitering around waiting for our turn to join them.