Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Universal Audio Announces Volt USB Audio Interfaces (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1362607-universal-audio-announces-volt-usb-audio-interfaces.html)

The Press Desk 5th October 2021 08:01 PM

Universal Audio Announces Volt USB Audio Interfaces

3 Attachment(s)

- For Mac, PC, iPad, and iPhone, Volt brings classic studio sound with Vintage Mic Preamp mode, 76 Compressor, included audio software, and stylish UA design -

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • October 5th, 2021 — Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is proud to introduce Volt audio interfaces.
Featuring best-in-class sound quality, a Vintage Mic Preamp mode, built-in 76 Compressor in the 76 models, and suite of included audio software, these all-new USB recording interfaces bring classic studio sound to Mac, PC, iPad, and iPhone users.

Record with Classic Studio Sound
All Volt interfaces feature a Vintage Mic Preamp mode inspired by the mic/line preamp in UA’s 610 tube console. A UA exclusive, Volt’s tube emulation circuitry allows users to dial in rich, full sound on vocals and instruments.

Volt 76 models feature a built-in 76 Compressor — an innovative analog circuit based on UA's iconic 1176 — with easy-to-use presets for adding clarity and punch to voice, guitar, and other sources.

Essential Audio Software Included
After registering Volt via the companion app, UA Connect, users can download the following audio production software, instruments, and plug-in bundles from industry-leading brands.

Capture Inspiration with a Stylish UA Design
With simple audio connections, Direct Monitoring for latency-free recording, iPad/iPhone connectivity, and rugged metal construction, Volt elevates any production space or mobile recording rig with stylish UA design, built to last decades.

Pricing, Specs & Availability
Volt audio interfaces and Studio Packs are available for pre-order from select Universal Audio retailers, with general availability projected for late November 2021.

Volt Key Features:
● USB 2.0 audio interfaces with 24-bit/192 kHz audio conversion for Mac, PC, iPad, and iPhone
● Vintage Mic Preamp mode for recording vocals and instruments with the sound of a classic UA tube preamp
● Built-in 76 Compressor adds clarity and punch to voice, guitar, and other sources with
analog circuit based on UA's 1176
● Suite of audio software including Ableton, Melodyne, UJAM's Virtual Drummer, Marshall,
Ampeg, and more
● Volt Studio Packs include Volt 2 or Volt 276, a condenser mic with XLR cable, and
closed-back headphones
● USB bus powered with compatible devices*
● 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
● Direct Monitoring for latency-free recording
● 1-in/1-out MIDI connections
● USB-C to USB-A cable included
*Volt 476 requires an external Volt power supply (included).

RaySoul 5th October 2021 08:15 PM

:popcorn:

andersmv 5th October 2021 08:17 PM

Just got a Zoom H6 as I'm wanting to do more mobile video stuff in locations without power. Although these are really cool and a decent price point, I still think the zooms are a better option. I would be tempted to check out the 476 if it actually had 4 preamps, but I'm sure that's pushing it for USB buss powered. I'm also a little confused about how the compressor works and if we just have to gain stage into it? It would have been nice to have a one knob for threshold at least, but the 3 presets are nice. I'm wondering if they borrowed the 1176 tech from the 4-710 preamps? Those were great for catching peaks and saving a take, but they weren't exactly "compressors" in the sense that you could dial them in.

Regardless, seems like a good roll out! I was expecting them to cost more.

Ox Han 5th October 2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andersmv (Post 15660127)
Just got a Zoom H6 as I'm wanting to do more mobile video stuff in locations without power. Although these are really cool and a decent price point, I still think the zooms are a better option. I would be tempted to check out the 476 if it actually had 4 preamps, but I'm sure that's pushing it for USB buss powered. I'm also a little confused about how the compressor works and if we just have to gain stage into it? It would have been nice to have a one knob for threshold at least, but the 3 presets are nice. I'm wondering if they borrowed the 1176 tech from the 4-710 preamps? Those were great for catching peaks and saving a take, but they weren't exactly "compressors" in the sense that you could dial them in.

Regardless, seems like a good roll out! I was expecting them to cost more.

I came here to find attack/release times for the compressor...

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andersmv (Post 15660127)
I'm also a little confused about how the compressor works and if we just have to gain stage into it?

Correct, adjust Gain as needed. The idea was to be SUPER straight ahead.

RaySoul 5th October 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universal Audio (Post 15660139)
Correct, adjust Gain as needed. The idea was to be SUPER straight ahead.

How about plugin power? Are you able to use plugs in the same fashion as other UA interfaces (Apollo)?

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 08:34 PM

This is a new family of devices targeting a different user.

Bus powered USB interfaces with UA sonics and quality.

No DSP onboard.

johnnysaw01 5th October 2021 08:34 PM

When is the 876 coming? w/ 8 pres 😉

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaySoul (Post 15660162)
How about plugin power? Are you able to use plugs in the same fashion as other UA interfaces (Apollo)?

They're not plugins but rather all analog circuits built into the signal path.

Lordwilberforce 5th October 2021 08:42 PM

Well it's pretty obvious what the Christmas #1 is going to be this year and every other year for the next decade!

Advertised Features vs. Astethics vs. Price = NAILED.

Whoever headed up this product design needs a bonus and an extension of contract. I predict UA will be at capacity with their operational/production leverage on these units.

iomegaman 5th October 2021 08:56 PM

Sooo...what Universal Audio is telling us is they can build an 1176 compressor circuit INTO an audio converter device, include midi, package it and sell it for $249.00 while the "regular" 1176 compressor still sells for 10x that price....

????

One of these is a gimmick or one of these is over-priced.

I like UA...I have a lot of their stuff...but seriously...something seems not the same here.

mbvoxx 5th October 2021 09:04 PM

This unit is okay, considering the target market for it. But I'd really LOVE to see UA develop a decent, competitively priced DAW controller. It's time for someone to take over that market.

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iomegaman (Post 15660213)
Sooo...what Universal Audio is telling us is they can build an 1176 compressor circuit INTO an audio converter device, include midi, package it and sell it for $249.00 while the "regular" 1176 compressor still sells for 10x that price....

????

One of these is a gimmick or one of these is over-priced.

I like UA...I have a lot of their stuff...but seriously...something seems not the same here.

LOL! Of course we're not saying this! :)

It's a clever little circuit our braintrust came up with that is "inspired by" the vibe of the 1176.

~ufo~ 5th October 2021 09:14 PM

Yes, I finally got UA to make an interface without DSP!
And all you naysayers who told me I'd fail.
Don't you feel silly!
Nana nana naaa naaa!

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ufo~ (Post 15660247)
Yes, I finally got UA to make an interface without DSP!
And all you naysayers who told me I'd fail.
Don't you feel silly!
Nana nana naaa naaa!

Victory is yours!!!! :)

Raddler 5th October 2021 09:15 PM

Can we use LUNA with this?

Lordwilberforce 5th October 2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbvoxx (Post 15660228)
This unit is okay, considering the target market for it. But I'd really LOVE to see UA develop a decent, competitively priced DAW controller. It's time for someone to take over that market.

If UA/API made a controller for the LUNA API Vision strip /Summing module / bus comp I'd snap it out of their hands.

Cooleyocity 5th October 2021 09:19 PM

UA needs to make a box like the McDSP APB that incorporates their plugins with real analog processing, giving us the best of analog and software. Then they would have something cool on their hands... This seems like it would be a natural pivot for them seeing what they do.

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raddler (Post 15660253)
Cab we use LUNA with this?

You cannot.

Lox72 5th October 2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raddler (Post 15660253)
Cab we use LUNA with this?

I would say no...

M0nsteh 5th October 2021 09:27 PM

I mean for a lot of us that already have all our own plugins that we like, who have powerful rigs, and who never bought into the UAD ecosystem, this product could make a lot of sense. The UAD stuff was always nice, but it always was a commitment to get in. If you like UAD, and if the onboard compressor in this is nice, AND if the latency is competitive, I could see myself snagging this for my second setup. It looks nice!

thatizright 5th October 2021 09:32 PM

Very smart. Nice!

Lox72 5th October 2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nsteh (Post 15660277)
I mean for a lot of us that already have all our own plugins that we like, who have powerful rigs, and who never bought into the UAD ecosystem, this product could make a lot of sense. The UAD stuff was always nice, but it always was a commitment to get in. If you like UAD, and if the onboard compressor in this is nice, AND if the latency is competitive, I could see myself snagging this for my second setup. It looks nice!

Same thought here... :)

cheers,
Lox

andersmv 5th October 2021 09:36 PM

It's a smart move and a good price point. They're basically taking a stab at the SSL2 market, which seem to be selling really well. Not for me, but still looks nice for the money. I wish they had put some wood sides on the X4's, looks really classy!

gsilbers 5th October 2021 09:52 PM

Neat. Seems very cool. good its not tied to the uad plugin platoform.

Only voice, guitar, fast (drums), for compressor might need a revision for mkii ...for those of us who dont sing, play guitar or use real drums.
maybe a couple of small buttons for ratio and attack/release presets settings and one small knob for threshold.
Im sure i could still use it plenty with those 3 settings for tracking though.

love the wooden panels.

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsilbers (Post 15660318)
Neat. Seems very cool. good its not tied to the uad plugin platoform.

Only voice, guitar, fast (drums), for compressor might need a revision for mkii ...for those of us who dont sing, play guitar or use real drums.
maybe a couple of small buttons for ratio and attack/release presets settings and one small knob for threshold.
Im sure i could still use it plenty with those 3 settings for tracking though.

love the wooden panels.

The names are just there for "inspiration". They work great on all sorts of sources. The idea was to make a tracking comp that was dead simple and you just pick one of three presets, gain stage, and go.

Ministertrav1 5th October 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universal Audio (Post 15660263)
You cannot.

Conversion specs?

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ministertrav1 (Post 15660332)
Conversion specs?

Nothing published as of now.

Junolab 5th October 2021 10:18 PM

I would be worried if I was heavily invested in the UAD platform... Properly a great device though, but there's so many other options out there. I guess a lot will look at the 76 comp and think it totally unique (not saying it's not great, but there are so many other good native comp alternatives out there).

Universal Audio 5th October 2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junolab (Post 15660353)
I would be worried if I was heavily invested in the UAD platform... .

No need.

VOLT is for some and Apollo for others. We love giving people options and something new in this market segment. Win win.