Quantcast
I did a mixbus test between Studio One and Harrison Mixbus which is best? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I did a mixbus test between Studio One and Harrison Mixbus which is best?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool I did a mixbus test between Studio One and Harrison Mixbus which is best?

Hello there folks,

Tried something last night. I'm currently mixing an album in Studio One 2 (awesome program). I'm using Slate RC-Tube and VTM on every channel and master bus. sounds great so far. But I wanted to try using Harrison Mixbus 2.0 (PC) as a summing bus and see if it can really warm the sound and clear the stereofield/widen.

I'm working with 44.1/24 files in studio one. So what I did after hearing that Slate VTM works better in 96. I exported stems for all my tracks and sends as tracks to 96 from studio one (by passed the masterbus rc-tube and vtm) but left the RC-Tube as inserts on all channels.

than made a Harrison Mixbus session at 96. imported my studio tracks (with all insert effects, plugin, compression, eq, rendered) cause I dont want to remix the track in Mixbus. workflow kinda suck. so I got all my automations rendered in each tracks.

than I applied VTM and VCC on the masterfade. send tracks to the 8 mixbus submix (drums, vox, guitars, etc.. separated on each busses). by default in Harrison it seems to Tape Saturation is at 0 so some tape saturation occurs on my 8 busses. so I left it for some more warm.

than in SoundForge I converted back to 44.1 the Mixbus mixdown export from 96.

and exported a mixdown from studio one at 44.1 (original sample rate)

I dont know if it was a good idea. didnt try null tests cause with the little harrison tape saturation on busses it sure will not null. but the difference between both mix is subtle but seems Harrison version sounds better.

I would love your feedback and tell what you think

I zipped both wave files (44.1/24) here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64831371/ha..._studioone.zip

thanks a lot for your time.
if it worth the extra time and effort to mix my pre-mixed tracks in Harrison I willl do
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and btw the drums I was lazy and exported a mix down of it (not separated snare, kick, OH, etc..) next time I will export every tracks no busses so it benefit for full Harrison mixbus sweetness
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would advise against doing ANY samplerate conversions on stems (separate tracks). In my experience, even the best src algorithms introduce phase and other artifacts. On a complete mix is another story..
But thats just me.

Check this out : SRC Comparisons

Btw no null, if you decide to do it.

Edit: no link?(404 error)
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nice thread,thankz for the effort.ill checked them out in the studio ASAP!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't listened, but if you intend to raise the sample rate to get better results from special processing, try doubling the rate, in this case 88.2kHz.
SRC indeed should be avoided if possible.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys oh well I guess ill stick with 44.1 in mixbus. will be easier on the CPU anyway

please keep me posted on the difference with the 2 mixes im curious.I dont have the best ears for those kinda thing and I dont want to be victim of the placebo effect since ive read tons of stuff on Harrison Mixbus....
πŸ“ Reply