Studio One or Cubase 6.5? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One or Cubase 6.5?
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Studio One or Cubase ?

Hello,

has anyone compared Presonus Studio One V2 to Cubase 6.5?

I really love drag´n drop and this one window handling in S1!

But...
here are some collected disadvantages about Studio One (V2):

- MIDI is absolutely rudimentary.
- No drum editor.
- No score editor.
- S1 doesn't handle OMF files.
- No Split Arrange / Toggle Track List
- No Non-Linear Sequencing (Arranger Track).
- No S-type (logarithmic, exponential) curve to fade-in and fade-out.
- S1's media management is an absolute pathetic joke compared to the power of Mediabay.
- No split an imported stereo track into 2 mono tracks.
- No input gain in the mixer.
- No phase button in the mixer.
- No VST Expressions.
- No Parts and no Part-Editor.
- No dual panning in the mixer.
- No record output of channels.
- No Project Logical Editor.
- No channel button all Insert FX on/off.
- No channel buttons FX and sends on/off.
- No Control Room.
- No Note Expression.
- No In Place Editor.
- No Midi Plugins.
- No global on/off for automation.
- No Multiple output freezing (VSTi Rack)
- No Global Transpose (Audio & Midi).
- No "Volume Envelope Events".
- No Track Controls.
- No Mixer Reset Button.
- No "set timecode at now option.
- No Quick Controls, e.g. in Inspector.
- No export/bounce virtual instrument tracks in mono.
- Studio One is absolutely lacking in Film Scoring.
- It doesn't have the same level of hardware support, the routing is very limited.
- The included plug ins are not the greatest. Stock plugins are a joke (e.g. one weak Synth and Sample Player with very old soundfont libraries)
- Horrible support for control surfaces except for the (Surprise!) FaderPort. MCU support sucks, really bad.
- The freeze options is a bet messy and I don't think it unloads the plug ins from memory.
- Doesn't have descent panning (only one slider). This can be fixed with the pan plugin. But using a plugin to pan something.?
- Loop browser doesn't work properly. Loops don't sync correctly to tempo, and when i open my Virus TI it gets even worse, nothing syncs.
- You can't route an FX channel to another FX channel.
- Bouncing audio event causes a lot of mistakes.
- To bridge 32bit plugins you have to use a third party program. With J-Bridge it crashes to much.
- CPU usage isn't optimized IMO.
- If stability is an issue for you, Studio One is definitely not the DAW for you. There are A LOT of bugs in Studio One, sometimes from version to the next. 2.0.5 for example introduced crazy CPU spikes in the Mac version, though those seem to have been resolved in 2.0.6. Presonus' QA needs work imo. They introduced a new feature in 2.0.5 that doesn't even work in 64-bit mode (macro toolbar). In 2012 that is sacrilege.

(thanks to [email protected]!)

On the other hand I love Cubase´s dark GUI and it´s plugins very much.
And Midi is very very comfortable in Cubase!
the new vsti synths Retrologue and Padshop are great.

What do you think?

Thank you for help!

Nights.
(I´m a composer and sound designer, I use a lot VSTi´s, Midi and Audio Editing equal, recording bands etc. )
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems like just posted a bunch of alleged disadvantages of S1v2 and then said you like Cubase...why are you asking the question then? You clearly prefer Cubase so stick with that.

For what it's worth, on my Mac Pro, I've never had stability issues in S1 or had rendering errors with an offline render. CPU usage looks great to me as well. I also tried the Cubase 6.5 demo for almost a month - tried really hard to get into it and for me, it had horrendous usability compared to the other DAWs I've used (and I used to be a Cubase user on my PC a few years ago).
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Clonkified,
that's not the point.
The point is you need all this?
Question, is there a way to "replace" (?) some oft cubase´s features in S1?

And I must admit: I love BOTH daws!
But there can be only one... I can not decide!!!!

It´s interesting for me to read about the user´s experience with CPU stability on 64-bit systems.
I use both: in my studio PC system, and on the way MacBook - so I´m also interested in file transfer between this units.
Old 29th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The choice should be obvious

Go Cubase 6.5.

I would never thinking about buying a hardware companies DAW. (Anyone remember Mackie's tracktion or whatever the hell it was called?)

Steinberg has been around and will be around. From the mixed reviews I have heard on the Presonous products I dont know if you can count on the same.

While Cubase may have more than you need you dont need to use those things. It does do what you need as well or better than anything else.

Full disclosure I am a long time cubase owner so am biased but I've worked on most everything.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarateboy ➡️
Go Cubase 6.5.

I would never thinking about buying a hardware companies DAW. (Anyone remember Mackie's tracktion or whatever the hell it was called?)

Steinberg has been around and will be around. From the mixed reviews I have heard on the Presonous products I dont know if you can count on the same.
Presonus has been around since 1995 - that's a pretty long time to be in business. Also, the S1 core development team are the ones who were the early developers of Cubase...

Quote:
It does do what you need as well or better than anything else.

Full disclosure I am a long time cubase owner so am biased but I've worked on most everything.
In your opinion. In my opinion as somebody that has worked on most everything, other programs do many things much better than Cubase.
Old 29th June 2012
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
To be fair Presonus have done an excellent job with their daw but i am still more than happy with Cubase 6 for my needs and any other daw would have to offer something quite special in order for me to jump ship myself.

Just my opinion,
Graham
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Cubase 6.5 is fantastic, and a very deep and refined DAW. S21, though it has some cool innovative handling, is still not there imo...

Best,
midi
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Glider ➡️
Cubase 6.5 is fantastic, and a very deep and refined DAW. S21, though it has some cool innovative handling, is still not there imo...

Best,
midi
Exactly my thoughts. But very very very innovative and has a lot of potential. A lot!!!
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There is nothing wrong with the stock S1 plugins. The bench strength of the VIs is a little weak (I like their's more than I like Avid's) but the effects are good. Maybe Cubase's are better but I have never felt limited in my music.

CPU usage is also just fine. This is a very common metric used to compare DAWs but I've never seen any real data.

Controller support is, indeed, lacking.

-Happy Studio One user

Sent from my ADR6350 using Gearslutz App

Last edited by BJosephs; 29th June 2012 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi

You gathered a good deal of information from others with diligence. Next, you should set evaluation criteria and define them with thoughtfulness in order to think quickly and clearly, and classify the information which you gathered into the criteria. And then you should be able to draw a conclusion from the evaluation. I would just like to say that the facts shall be gathered after carefully setting the criteria in order to work and think effectively.

I'm using Cubase and Studio One, and both are nice. I didn't need effort in collecting those information but only needed a few moments to make a decision on which to use.
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
When you somehow can buy and master both, do it, you will have nothing to miss then. But if you will only have one, pick the one that inspires you the most, the one which pushes you more in making music.
For me it's clearly StudioOne, Cubase was bit too complex, it hindered my music, but on the other side i also saw people who really mastered it and create really cool stuffs with it. =)
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When you somehow can buy and master both, do it, you will have nothing to miss then. But if you will only have one, pick the one that inspires you the most, the one which pushes you more in making music.
For me it's clearly StudioOne, Cubase was bit too complex, it hindered my music, but on the other side i also saw people who really mastered it and create really cool stuffs with it. =)
+1.... It's worth mentioning that Studio One was released with a mission of being an un-cluttered, bloat-free music making application. Their focus is simplicity and execution and they continue to make good on that scope. More features will come with time.

If simplicity isn't an attractive feature to you then I can see how it might be interpreted as a "feature-deficit". All I know is I haven't loaded up protools on months!
Old 30th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs ➡️
+1.... It's worth mentioning that Studio One was released with a mission of being an un-cluttered, bloat-free music making application. Their focus is simplicity and execution and they continue to make good on that scope. More features will come with time.

If simplicity isn't an attractive feature to you then I can see how it might be interpreted as a "feature-deficit". All I know is I haven't loaded up protools on months!
Good point. That's always how Presonus advertised it. For every DAW user who might feel it's lacking stuff when checking its specs, there might be one, new or long-time user of these programs, who will feel "liberated" by the program "simplicity".

KA
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you're on a Mac, I'd bias somewhat away from Cubase. (Whereas Cubase is my preferred DAW on a PC) I don't know Studio One but Logic would be my first preference on a Mac. If S1 has the capabilities you need and you like the flow, go for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified ➡️
Seems like just posted a bunch of alleged disadvantages of S1v2 and then said you like Cubase...
Haha. Pretty much a daw war invitation right? He already said it's not stable, pathetic in some ways, and lacks a bunch of stuff he needs to make music so... what's the real point ... besides validation?

Should have just titled the thread... "Here's Why S1v2 Sucks Donkey Ass".

Looks like he joined GS just to do that... especially since there is a long list of "suck" for S1 and not a single "disadvantage" of Cubase listed. BTW, that list comes directly from the Cubase forum. Apparently, it annoys some people that others like it. Not sure why.

Oh I do love neutral journalism. Cubase FTW!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➡️
Haha. Pretty much a daw war invitation right? He already said it's not stable, pathetic in some ways, and lacks a bunch of stuff he needs to make music so... what's the real point ... besides validation?

Should have just titled the thread... "Here's Why S1v2 Sucks Donkey Ass".

Looks like he joined GS just to do that... especially since there is a long list of "suck" for S1 and not a single "disadvantage" of Cubase listed. BTW, that list comes directly from the Cubase forum. Apparently, it annoys some people that others like it. Not sure why.

Oh I do love neutral journalism. Cubase FTW!
Definately smells like that!! When Apple lowered Logic's price, those kind of threads against Logic would come up daily. At the time, i was accused of paranoia and other nice adjectives, but it's a known fact that companies invent threads like that just to make a competitor look bad.Now, it's S1 who's victim of that. I don't want to presume that it's Steinberg who's behind the OP, but that kind of thread is just pathetic and not even subtle.

KA
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The stock reverb, eq and compressor are great. I've mixed using nothing but the stock plugs and have been just as happy as if I would have used all my UA plugs. Too me they sound really good. Having said that I don't prefer S1's Limiter.
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Studio One is not comparable with Cubase. There is too many stuff missing, not only that Studio One doesn't support Midi SysEx which is important for guys using external hardware to store patches etc, inside the project ("total recall").

Eventually it's fixed this time, but it has also latency problems with external hardware. Completely unusable (I wrote Wolfgang Kundrus a bug report about this and he answered... So may be with later updates it's fixed).

With every new DAW there are some new features where the developers trying to make things better. This also true with Studio One, there are some very nice things! But if I see the whole DAW... Cubase 6.5 is not to beat!
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I thought this post seemed suspicious as well.

I'm loving Studio One.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➡️
Studio One is not comparable with Cubase.
Overall, on paper, tit-for-tat feature wise, certainly not. Few are.

Cubase is a world class audio / midi workstation... but curiously enough, some people still prefer to use and are quite productive with other things instead, like Reaper, Studio One, Logic, Sonar, Live, PT, whatever. Not sure on what planet that wouldn't be the case.

Frankly, if all that mattered was the feature list, everyone would probably be using Samplitude. It stacks up rather well against anything on the market.

Anyway, you didn't (or shouldn't have) married your wife because she has perfect tits, a perfect ass, perfect teeth and can run faster than any other woman you know. You marry her mostly because you actually love her, even with her flaws... right?
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
P.S. Since this thread seems to have very little actual value, let me try to add some...

If you're looking to switch DAW's or buying your first DAW, not looking at Reaper would be slightly foolish. I say that as someone who did give it a good long look, someone who owns it, and I still say that even though it's not a very good fit for me personally in some ways.

But not looking it over to see if it fits you personally would be a little insane. At $60 discounted - and given it's pretty deep capabilities - if it does fit you, if you do really personally like working in it, if you do "get on" with it, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value anywhere.

Just saying. I personally like S1 above all others, because it fits me pretty well and it works like I think, party due to using Cubase maybe. But that doesn't make me blind to the potential value of other really great things out there like Reaper.
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I recently converted a lot of my Cubase projects to S1V2. I've been loving S12 since the melodyne integration BUT all the projects I converted over had finished midi drum tracks, so when I started songs from scratch in S1.2 I desperately missed the cubase drum editor. I still can't believe other daws still haven't incorporated a drum editor type solution.

so I use both until S1 matures in the midi department, unless cubase introduces something innovative and improves freeze etc etc.
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
not to mention I also prefer the dark gui of cubase.
Old 30th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Love cubase but don't love a dongle taking up 1 of 2 USB ports
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase is old and needs a rewrite...
Old 30th June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortune ➡️
Love cubase but don't love a dongle taking up 1 of 2 USB ports
Exactly!!

I have been a long time user of Cubase (since SX 2). That being said I've been eyeing S1v2 lately. Why? Really its one thing. No dongle. I recently purchased a MBPr and while I'm loving the system it only has 2 USB ports so I'm left with only one after plugin in Cubase's dongle. Plus as it stands right now, Cubase 6.5 doesn't work well with the retina display of my Macbook Pro. I think it has something to do with the way it handles the resolution. Any that's my two cents. But if Steinberg would lose the dongle I would have no reason at all to switch. It is a great DAW that I always seem to come back too.
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter ➡️
Hello,

has anyone compared Presonus Studio One V2 to Cubase 6.5?

I really love drag´n drop and this one window handling in S1!

But...
here are some collected disadvantages about Studio One (V2):

bla bla bla
bla bla bllllaaa bla
I make music and release without those things you mentioned. So, nitpicking to the greatest lol.

Happy S1 Pro user.
Old 1st July 2012
SLL
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've been very happy with Cubase 6.5 and the new synths, which sound great. The 2 new synths are actually worth much more than what the C5 -> C6.5 upgrade cost in terms of sound quality and quality usable presets.
Old 1st July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Go Cubase 6.5.

I would never thinking about buying a hardware companies DAW.
Ahhh, ok... You mean like Digital Performer...?
Old 1st July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
oh...wow! thank you all for your replys!!!
nice to read, very interesting!

But... please! NO DAW WARS!!!

I'm working on a major project with..erm... PT (!)
very stressful, too many tracks... later I´ll be back!

Nights.
📝 Reply