Quantcast
How it stands next to a commercial track - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How it stands next to a commercial track
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How it stands next to a commercial track

TRACK LINK:Download Neple - traaack.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Hi Gearslutz, new to the forum! it is awesome by the way

Hi I have a problem IMO with my mix, the kick is powerfull in the start of the track but seems to lose most of it's punch the more instruments that come in. Additionally my lead is muddy and not as clear as I would like it, now I assume this has something to do with gainstaging and all that. The track is already mastered, though not professionaly. My usual routine in mixing are the following:

1 cut everything below 150 HZ, bass is High passed at 60 hz or higher (to leave room for kick)

2 before the mix is exported I make sure that the master is no higher than 3 DB

3 Kick & bass is in mono, and NO reverb on either.

I want to know what you think of the song, and I want constructive criticism, but by all means tell me what you can hear is wrong compared to other EDM tracks. i.e lack of power in low lack of mids and so on THANKS this will hopefully help my future mixes
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPLE ➑️
TRACK LINK:Download Neple - traaack.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Hi Gearslutz, new to the forum! it is awesome by the way

Hi I have a problem IMO with my mix, the kick is powerfull in the start of the track but seems to lose most of it's punch the more instruments that come in. Additionally my lead is muddy and not as clear as I would like it, now I assume this has something to do with gainstaging and all that. The track is already mastered, though not professionaly. My usual routine in mixing are the following:

1 cut everything below 150 HZ, bass is High passed at 60 hz or higher (to leave room for kick)

2 before the mix is exported I make sure that the master is no higher than 3 DB

3 Kick & bass is in mono, and NO reverb on either.

I want to know what you think of the song, and I want constructive criticism, but by all means tell me what you can hear is wrong compared to other EDM tracks. i.e lack of power in low lack of mids and so on THANKS this will hopefully help my future mixes
why do you cut the bass at 60hz? that's quite high....
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
why do you cut the bass at 60hz? that's quite high....
I don't know it usually works :P have you listened to the song though? I want feedback on the low end
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't know it usually works :P have you listened to the song though? I want feedback on the low end
only got a laptop at hand. ill give it a listen in a bit
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lacking bass guts on my sub, even with the sub turned way up. It seems you're wanting to get all your bass from the kick, but the kick isn't big enough to satisfy the ears. It's also one of those bouncy, off beat basses which means there should be PLENTY of space for a kick and a bass to both carry a lot of low end.

Also, bear in mind that bass (And perceived loudness and power) is all about TIME. You envelopes are short, meaning that bass frequencies might not have enough time to get to full wave length and satisfy the ears. Think of a long, boomy 808 kick. Not half as bassy if it doesn't have a long sustain/decay on it.

Bye.
Old 25th January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

this is too low to have much effect on the bass punch of the kick, which should be around 200Hz

so what you're doing here is taking away the sub of the bass so that the sub of the kick can be heard... this is fine but you're not going to hear below 40Hz in most clubs... so that's quite a narrow band you're leaving for the kick and its in a frequency region that wont show up the transient of the kick very well..

much better to find where the punch of your kick hits and scoop out the bass around that point. even better to side-chain-scoop..

i would perhaps set up 2 side chains. the first would duck everything from say, 100Hz down to 20 from the bass line, this would be done with a high ratio and fast attack. it wouldnt duck the bass from the entire duration of the kick but just between the first 16th and 8th of a beat.

i would also have another from say, 250 down to 100 this would be even faster so just the transient of the kick ducks the bass, say the first 6 cycles of the kick...

i would do all this from a copy of the kick, which wouldn't be in the audio chain at all but only be used for side chain.. i would shift this entire track forward in time by 5ms.. i would set the attack up on my compressor/dynamic EQ for 5ms also.. this is so the ducking will be smooth and exactly in sync with the real kick drum track..

these frequency figures i mention are guesswork, you'd have to analyse your kick and experiment to get the best frequency bands to duck

ps i didnt listen to your examples
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks, I don't have an accuarate monitoring system, so I will look into it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks, I don't have an accuarate monitoring system, so I will look into it
Methinks that an accurate monitoring system should be your next purchase.

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
Methinks that an accurate monitoring system should be your next purchase.

Yea, I have the rokit rp6's, and I have read up on room acoustics I don't know if it is my room or my monitors but I clearly can't hear the sub going on. And I don't really have the budget yet to invest in "expensive" equipment
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I woul appreciate a listen to this: Download Neple - gearslutz listen.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

It's the same track, although sortened down AND I have removed the high pass on the bass and lenghtened the release on the kick. How is the sub now Horseface?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't mind the Swedish House Maffia ripoff but the mix has quite some room for improvement.

Best example would be to find a club with a decent PA and you hearing your mix on it for a short while (falling apart).
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse ➑️
Don't mind the Swedish House Maffia ripoff but the mix has quite some room for improvement.

Best example would be to find a club with a decent PA and you hearing your mix on it for a short while (falling apart).
well that's vague, care to elaborate?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nope.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
sounds very generic/commercial and your kick is a lot louder than your bass.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am aware of that, and this particular song is not meant to be a revelation in the music industry. Now do you have some tips on getting the song punchy and blanaced ?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I listened to the last mix you posted, that doesn't lack sub power in the lowend, the kick is really heavy and high in volume, bring up that bass sound, if you need extra boost in the lows of the bass (you could try, some slight distortion and bass boost plugins, like waves max-bass or such.) I would recommend that you have a paragraphic eq which shows the energy field, so you see where the sound have much energy, and there you can compare to bass sounds from sample packs and such, and see where it's energy is at, you don't need to invest in expensive monitors and bla bla, there are lots of famous eletronic dance producers that don't even use "real monitors", they use hi-fi systems or logitech speakers (i can't remember which producer, tho, but he's "big"), you "learn" your speakers after a while, and besides you have spectrum analysers that you can use to see with your eyes.
A musical advice is that you have that snare go up in pitch, automate the pitch of the snares sample, and make it go up, otherwise it sounds too much "the same", the music has to evolve over time a little!
Also the sound that comes in at 49seconds, needs to come up aswell and be dominant and i think you should have the single note detuned saw coming in earlier aswell, fading in.
The music sounds okay, i'm not a fan of that type of house music.
But keep working!
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
THanks man, I actually use a spectrum analyzer, And it works well. I just get obsessed with getting the bass balance right and I end up cutting too much (or too little). Thanks for the tips and I agree about the evolving part
πŸ“ Reply