Quantcast
My first track, any input? Thanks! Minimal techno... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My first track, any input? Thanks! Minimal techno...
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My first track, any input? Thanks! Minimal techno...

Hello all!

Just painstakingly finished my first track, wondering if any kind souls might care to give me some input? Had some difficulty mastering (obviously, it's freaking difficult), does anybody notice any overcompression or anything like that?

My equipment (since this IS gearslutz!): mac, ableton live suite, mpk mini, apc40, maschine 1, komplete 6 audio card, and krk rokit 5s, plus a ton of freeware plugins and drum samples.

Influences/genre I'm going for: minimal techno (whatever that means anymore), Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos, Magda, etc. (the whole m_nus label in general I guess)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
by the way I should mention I was kind of going for a loose, tribal, almost falling apart and then hanging together kind of groove/feel
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
fredi dwnloadr,

thanks for the input on my track its always good to get ears. there are some cool sounds here and the beat builds pretty nicely.

take this advice with a grain of salt..
1. i think the claps towards the beginning don't seem to fit into the mix completely. the one's at the start, are they panned right? if so i would leave them dead center or add chorus to them. also, i would work on the reverb with the clap - either make it more open and spacier sounding (not sure what DAW you're using) or take it out altogether (i think this is common in minimal).
2. also, that first open high hat might work better dead center as well
3. for the kick maybe think about taking some of the low end out and boosting somewhere between 160 - 200Hz

overall, really like the layout and the way the beat builds up. keep it up hope to hear more.
-- GrizWold
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks GrizWold, I'm definitely gonna try that stuff. Very useful ideas. I seriously appreciate your time...
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This is pretty good, inventive stuff sound wise. Like the filtered noise risers. Only got my ****ty macbook speakers to listen to it through but it sounds fine on them.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
thanks for the feedback crx! I appreciate it...
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's a good track. For your first, it is impressive. Samples can be fun and you can really get into them with Ableton and make them your own.

Enough flattery...the track is a bit dry. The echo verb that comes in around 3 min is interesting. Play with some of the spacing at the beginning. Ableton has a bunch of filters and arpaggiators...use them and get that musical feel into the track.

Cut down on the repetitive intro. You don't have to get crazy, but give it some flow.
Adding an auxiliary send to the clap and saturating it with a huge reverb that has a random gate on it can really make for an interesting sound on this track.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
David, thanks for the encouragement and feedback. I just listened to the track for the first time in about a week (wanted to get fresh ears), and you're right about it being dry. Maybe some reverb throughout would help glue it together a bit, too - I'll mess around and see what I come up with. It also struck me as being quite cluttered - I wonder if I should cut an element out and see what happens...

I will cut the intro down as well - the kick sounds SO dry by itself, I'm gonna try to mess with the design/shape a little.

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to listen and help me out, it definitely helped/encouraged me. Thank you!
πŸ“ Reply