Quantcast
[Trance] Walk the Road - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
[Trance] Walk the Road
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
[Trance] Walk the Road

Hey, I just finished this track. It has a trance feeling and i am looking for some feedback. I have not much experience in trance but I'm exploring different styles at the moment and this one was quite fun to make.

It would be awesome if you shared your opinion on this track.
Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
You have a lot of work but here's my feedback.

Sounds: I think you need other sounds to use. Your kick doesn't pierce through this song, it's this deep kind of kick but at the same time it isn't. Work on your kicks or find good already-made kicks. Look at the vengeance sample packs.

Build: Even if you're trying to make something progressive, it's missing some buildups. Use side-chain compression on your pads etc (side-chain them to the kick), to get more flow.

I suggest to learn about:

- EQ to cut frequencies properly
- Compression to glue elements together and have a better flow
- Saturation to get a warm, full sound
- Delay to get a wide sound

But I think if you choose different sounds, it will already sound much better.

Good luck! Don't give up!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat โžก๏ธ
You have a lot of work but here's my feedback.

Sounds: I think you need other sounds to use. Your kick doesn't pierce through this song, it's this deep kind of kick but at the same time it isn't. Work on your kicks or find good already-made kicks. Look at the vengeance sample packs.

Build: Even if you're trying to make something progressive, it's missing some buildups. Use side-chain compression on your pads etc (side-chain them to the kick), to get more flow.

I suggest to learn about:

- EQ to cut frequencies properly
- Compression to glue elements together and have a better flow
- Saturation to get a warm, full sound
- Delay to get a wide sound

But I think if you choose different sounds, it will already sound much better.

Good luck! Don't give up!
Hey great for taking some time!
It is great that some people listen to it who understand the music compositions. Since I listen to the song all the time when making it, it is hard to notice some elements. Especially with so many instruments. I was focused on the instruments all the time and almost forgot about the kick.

I started with a kick with more bass in it when I did not have too many instruments. It vanished in the background I think. I agree that it sounds not good in the mix. I just found some nice sampled kick, I will try some of them.

And I noticed that the impact of the buildup was not as good as I wanted. It's missing something, I don't know what though. I will experiment with that soon and try to build more and add maybe some more effects and make a more massive climax. I use some sidechain on the pads but it sounds much better with just a little effect. I will not increase that effect since the whole sound will changes too much.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will improve the track soon.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes, everyone has this problem when you're so deep into your work that you can't hear the mistakes anymore because you're used so much to hearing it! (your ears got used to the mistakes basically)

Some people say relax your ears and don't listen to it for a while, then come back. Personally, this trick only partially works for me, because when I come back I'll still have that sound in my ear, that I've been hearing all day long.

The best trick I noticed is to work on a different track. Of course relax your ears also. But I for example work on a lot of completely different tracks, so after 30 minutes or an hour I might just switch project and continue working on something else. Then eventually take a break, and during the break, the last track you've been working on will be in your head. When you get back to the first track, you'll notice the contrast. Or listen to something else if you want

As for the kick, I don't think it's about the bass. Also, the bass is an instrument. What you mean is low frequencies. Kicks usually need some thump, a cut at 50 ? 70 Hz and a little boost at the same place. For the bass I'll go down to 50 Hz, and side chain it. That means every time the kick kicks in, the bass is compressed and therefore makes room for the kick.

For the buildup: align snares to build the tension up and use sweeps in the background to give this rising effect. A nice little trick: when the main part kicks in, mute / remove the first kick, and place a long crash or snare or "splash" sound on the second kick. A trick I often use Makes it a bit unexpected.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah with bass sound in the kick, I meant the low sub in it. But in this final mix a punchy kick might work better indeed. Anyway, nice tip for taking a break. I really should do that. Right now I just focus on one project and start another one once that one is finished. Most times I create such an awesome sound that I want to finish it as soon as possible to share it. I think next time I'll wait a week or so, just to listen to it after a while.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think it will really help me
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…