Quantcast
how to make your music wide? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to make your music wide?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
how to make your music wide?

hello! this is my first post here so i hope im posting in the right place, anyway i am looking for help in how to get my tracks sound wider without making it sound weird. every time i compare my music to the professionals i hear difference in the way the main sound "pop out of the speakers". i have asked before about widening tips on other forums and most person suggest layering or panning. but panning makes the sound feel kind off "flat" and enhancers just wont sound right. i don't want to layer to much eighter as i want my track to sound clean.
i made this so you can hear at what producing level i am right now and what i need to improve.

https://soundcloud.com/radeon-official/test-1234567

so the question is, how do the professionals make their lead sounds so wide without making it sound weird

ps. sorry for the bad english, i hope you understood what i was asking for
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
bx_solo is a free plugin, try it out!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try building your lead with 3 sounds:

1 is the big sound you want to dominate. Pan C

2 and 3 are "complimentary" to the big sound. Pan them L and R

Add a little bus compression

L and R often work well an octave below the C sound. Mix them lower than your C sound, they should barely be noticed.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
EQ, compression, stereo imaging, good clock, great pres, reverb, delay, and most important good mastering.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
im no pro mixer by any means, (guitarist/abletonist), but i thought the width of your track sounded great, tho like you said the drums werent really popping out of my speakers... eq, compression, some sausage fattening?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
der didnt read "main" sound...
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is how - 2 very most important things:

1) Don't mask the effect. Assign a "wide" role to 1, maybe 2 sounds, only more if they're not often playing simultaneously. Get this one sound really nice. Then just leave it. Don't pan anything in its way. You can often get away with everything else in the mix mono, and dead center. Crowding the wideness effect will, when all is said and done, reduce its effectiveness.

2) Panning is not the same as a stereo effect. Panning is the balance of amplitude of a single waveform between speakers, while a stereo effect is usually a short delay between two similar waveforms, often one in each speaker. There are many varieties of short delay, which result in such effects as chorus, phaser, etc, etc, all of which have the effect of making a sound "wide" or "3D." This is because in normal acoustic environments we attain a 3D perception of our surroundings by aurally, unconsciously, assessing the difference between a direct sound and its echos, which come from walls, floor and roof. We know what sort of a room we're in even with our eyes closed. This perception is what we try to trick by using artificial delays in recordings. It is responsible for the sensation of the music "jumping out" of your speakers.

Which delay effect, how to employ it, for maximum benefit, is entirely up to you - trial and error. But you're right, don't use enhancers - this is not ideal and you won't learn how to do better.

Edit: 1) don't get hung up on this. Get your music sounding good in mono - use less rather than more with the stereo stuff. It will happen naturally.
2) when pushing these techniques, it's easy to introduce phase problems. Avoid that, especially by keeping key elements like main parts of snare and kick and low bass in mono.

Edit 2: Listened to your track... think it sounds fine in terms of being "3D." You could make it sound wider if you wanted to, but don't get too hung up on this issue. Better to have no phase problems!
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The sample delay in logic is good for widening stuff
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➡️
bx_solo is a free plugin, try it out!

+1
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
thanks for all the advice! that brainworx plug in is just pure gold! here is the new version of the track after using that plug in if anybody is interested

Oscar Ström - Luxor (Original Mix) Free Download by Oscar Strom Music on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

just by curiosity do you think its good mixed or are there other things i should fix in my mix?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Great advice Praxisaxis.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
suck in the middle and push out the side
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarStrom ➡️
thanks for all the advice! that brainworx plug in is just pure gold! here is the new version of the track after using that plug in if anybody is interested

Oscar Ström - Luxor (Original Mix) Free Download by Oscar Strom Music on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

just by curiosity do you think its good mixed or are there other things i should fix in my mix?
lots of stuff in this thread man! good question.

i will have to give your track a listen later

but i thought your track (on laptop speakers, as crappy as they are) sounded fairly wide to begin with!

look at mid/side equalization too. DMG equality is good but DMG Equick is REALLY easy mid/side

eq the band

then change the band to mid or side...bam! a great way to take bass kick out of the sides (gently narrowing it to the center) and take the bass out of the center of a wide synth lead. bx_solo does some of this.

as others have said, a sparse arrangement will also highlight the wideness of a track...
Old 21st January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
a little chorus, a little reverb
yes also look into Mid-Side techniques
hard panning sometimes works (but is not always desirable for clubs which can have a lacking stereo image for the listener)

one tip: always check your tracks in MONO before putting them out
something that sounds great and wide in your studio may collapse in on itself because of nulling of L and R on another system

thread moved (because of track posted)
and
welcome to Gearslutz!
📝 Reply