Quantcast
Is this a hit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this a hit?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is this a hit?

I have decided to modernize my previous upload. I tried to use many current mixing techniques. It was very difficult creating this using 25 year old gear, with the exception of the virus. What do you think?
Attached Files

viruslead.mp3 (5.12 MB, 341 views)

Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I love it
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
sounds like some kind of early 90s disco.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus ➑️
sounds like some kind of early 90s disco.
Exactly, I used a 909, Juno and m1. All early 90s dance tools.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanls! Sequencing all of this old gear was a pita! I still need to work out the intro and some sounds don't mesh, but I like it.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A hit in 2012? I don't think so ... back in the day of La Bouche etc ...? maybe ... reminds me of their track "Be My Lover".
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesound ➑️
A hit in 2012? I don't think so ... back in the day of La Bouche etc ...? maybe ... reminds me of their track "Be My Lover".
Yeah, I'd listen to it...buy it even, but I like old sounding music (and I'd only buy it on vinyl). It seems quite dated otherwise without the benefit of nostalgic sentimentality.

Funny enough, I'm sure if you rolled back the frequency range occupied by the bass drum, and instead had a detuned saw bass occupying that space, then sidechained everything to the kick drum, it'd sound that much more modern.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
im going to try it now
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely has a 90's vibe if that's what you were going for!

As for a hit in 2012, the song style is incredibly outdated with where electronic music has expanded to. Unfortunately, I don't believe this would take off at all in the current scene of EDM.

Great job though!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
listen to the modern mix. it sounds totally different.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No, it's rather a sound test of your vintage gear
Your track has no strong elements of a hit song
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i dig it.

Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, it has a good upbeat energy to it...definitely workable.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The modern mix has sidechain compression but it still has that seriously dated piano sound. Not gonna fly.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No, sorry, it's not a hit. It's playing three chords in a very overused, predictable sequence. If you want a hit in 2012 you have to use the same sounds and gear that's on the charts today, that is - electro house / dubstep sounds and arrangements, done on soft synths.

Also, you should post songs in the designated area of this forum.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are no rules. We can only guess. But pretty sure if you have to ask, then you already know what the answer is. But music doesn't have to be "hit" quality to be validated. If everyone was always trying to make hits we'd still be banging on logs.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you all very much.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hmm.. no.
Old 23rd September 2012
^

Agreed, Sorry buddy, it's boring.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The question should be "Could this become a hit?". And the answer would be "Who knows?". My advice is "Finish the song".
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Way too much going on and not enough structure yet to be a song. My $.02.
Old 23rd September 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Definitely not a hit and totally early 90s. I could totally work with that piano though. Was the piano from the M1? 80s/90s influence can work awesome in modern stuff with modern production style but that track is all 90s sounds and 90s production style.

We are living in bass loving times my friend. The general production style is loud, pumping, and focused with very few elements at any given time. That generic 909 hat/clap pattern is dead as are the snare rolls.

You really need to have serious modern production chops to do current dance hits. Rewind a bit to the 80s I say! Here's someone who does some killer 80s influenced stuff using all analog classics.. ala 808, 909, DX, Linn, Jupiter, Juno, Moog etc:

Fm Attack's sounds on SoundCloud

Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think so.
It's not interesting enough, has not a good song structure (there is no intro, build-up, climax, verse,... it needs some better breaks). Yes, and the sounds are a bit 90s.

Listen to actual EDM productions and you will find a big difference for the sounds, ideas, the flow of the tracks, the mix etc. There are a lot good examples eg. some stuff by Above & Beyond.

Last edited by 4damind; 23rd September 2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: typo

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i would say: don't try and make 'a hit' just make music. i like the textures and tones, where its all going on mid way in the track. the actual tune doesn't move me. but then most pop music is dire unmoving trite.

a modern, hip style of trite that the kids are used too. so in that respect your track is far superior.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If Azealia Banks or MIA rapped over this everyone would be saying it's genius.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a hit. Nobody knows what's around the corner, trend wise.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Definitely not a hit and totally early 90s. I could totally work with that piano though. Was the piano from the M1? 80s/90s influence can work awesome in modern stuff with modern production style but that track is all 90s sounds and 90s production style.

We are living in bass loving times my friend. The general production style is loud, pumping, and focused with very few elements at any given time. That generic 909 hat/clap pattern is dead as are the snare rolls.

You really need to have serious modern production chops to do current dance hits. Rewind a bit to the 80s I say! Here's someone who does some killer 80s influenced stuff using all analog classics.. ala 808, 909, DX, Linn, Jupiter, Juno, Moog etc:

Fm Attack's sounds on SoundCloud

Yes, the piano is an m1 preset. I was going for an early 90s sound 100 percent. I could have used at sylenth and an 808 but I wanted an old school sound. As to the 80s music, that's all do typically. Look at some of my posts I usually only do 80s.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This does completely sound like mid 90s Haddaway/Snap/La Bouche euro house from 1994 or so. Not bad at all but it's not going to fly against modern type house music which is a lot more complex. But super great job on this! I have a lot of analogue gear but do most ITB these days.
Old 23rd September 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 ➑️
As to the 80s music, that's all do typically. Look at some of my posts I usually only do 80s.
I know. Your Linn is killer and I dig your 80s remakes.
Old 23rd September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, definitely a 90's vibe going. Percussions need a little work IMO; maybe some variation and breakdowns on the kick. The cymbal crash and ride aren't mixed well. Melodies are good. Not a hit today because that sound is not the sound of today. Keep at it though and just make music because you enjoy it, not to make a hit.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
Yeah, definitely a 90's vibe going. Percussions need a little work IMO; maybe some variation and breakdowns on the kick. The cymbal crash and ride aren't mixed well. Melodies are good. Not a hit today because that sound is not the sound of today. Keep at it though and just make music because you enjoy it, not to make a hit.
Yes, I will be posting a whole new mix that's worlds better.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…