Quantcast
An EMS Vocoder 2000 Mk1 (the Cylon Vocoder) doing a Cylon impression!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
An EMS Vocoder 2000 Mk1 (the Cylon Vocoder) doing a Cylon impression!!!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
An EMS Vocoder 2000 Mk1 (the Cylon Vocoder) doing a Cylon impression!!!

Old 20th September 2012
msl
Lives for gear

I ****ing love this!

Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Re: An EMS Vocoder 2000 Mk1 (the Cylon Vocoder) doing a Cylon impression!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl ➑️
I ****ing love this!
Thank you, and thanks to Cylon Centurion for making the video!!!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love it, very cool indeed, man that sounds thick as.....how many bands are their?
Great stuff...some Rapper will nick that for a dance middle 8 break for sure!
Classic!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
this is way cool, just need a daft punkish track to put it in
Old 9th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well chaps... I guess I have to say as of today... mine's on eBay! EMS 2000 RED edition, 1 of only 10 units manufactured!
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetadam ➑️
Well chaps... I guess I have to say as of today... mine's on eBay! EMS 2000 RED edition, 1 of only 10 units manufactured!
Has it already been sold? I didn't see it. I search worldwide and did a specific search for "EMS Vocoder 2000". The only one is a black EMS Vocoder-System 2000B Mk2.
Old 18th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetadam ➑️
Never-mind I found it!
Old 19th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceEncoder ➑️
Thank you, and thanks to Cylon Centurion for making the video!!!
No problem

As for the search for the right excitation source:
I used the Juno 60 emulator from TAL for excitation. The saxophone solution is just not working for me and doesnt sound right. Since the Juno 60 is of a later period (post 1978) i am searching for a synth (pre 1978 or 1978) that can handle these settings:

Voltage Controlled Oscillator [VCO]
Square wave
Pulse Width Modulation:31%

HPF: 35%

Voltage Controlled Filter [VCF]
Cutoff Frequency:70%
Resonance:40%
Noise:40%

Because the Juno 60 sounded close enough i tend to stay with Roland. I would love to see if a Roland SH-1000 could do the trick. Sadly i havent got one and is at this moment a bit too expensive to buy one.

I was also wondering, the Vocoder 2000 (MK1 Beta) was designed by Tim Orr for the EMS company. EMS was/is a British company, could it be that Berkos (sound designer from TOS B Galactica) not only used the EMS Vocoder 2000 ... but also the Powertran transcendent 2000 synthesizer? This synth was also designed by Tim Orr and was released in 1978. Again: Sadly i havent got one and is at this moment a bit too expensive to buy one.

Does someone at Gearslutz have one of these synths (SH-1000, Powertran) and is willing to try to reproduce the excitation signal as the stated settings and attached excitation 05.mp3? That would be great. I will route your excitation signal throught the vocoder 2000 and mtm5002 and post the result here.

VoiceEncoder: Did you make an offer for the red EMS vocoder 2000? If so, did you win? I am tempted to ask MSan if he could provide a mp3/aif/wav with his voiceacting as he did on the B Galactica TOS ... if his address is still valid.

Cheers!
Attached Files

Excitation 05.mp3 (1,017.5 KB, 742 views)

Old 26th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Centurion ➑️
No problem

As for the search for the right excitation source:
I used the Juno 60 emulator from TAL for excitation. The saxophone solution is just not working for me and doesnt sound right. Since the Juno 60 is of a later period (post 1978) i am searching for a synth (pre 1978 or 1978) that can handle these settings:

Voltage Controlled Oscillator [VCO]
Square wave
Pulse Width Modulation:31%

HPF: 35%

Voltage Controlled Filter [VCF]
Cutoff Frequency:70%
Resonance:40%
Noise:40%

Because the Juno 60 sounded close enough i tend to stay with Roland. I would love to see if a Roland SH-1000 could do the trick. Sadly i havent got one and is at this moment a bit too expensive to buy one.

I was also wondering, the Vocoder 2000 (MK1 Beta) was designed by Tim Orr for the EMS company. EMS was/is a British company, could it be that Berkos (sound designer from TOS B Galactica) not only used the EMS Vocoder 2000 ... but also the Powertran transcendent 2000 synthesizer? This synth was also designed by Tim Orr and was released in 1978. Again: Sadly i havent got one and is at this moment a bit too expensive to buy one.

Does someone at Gearslutz have one of these synths (SH-1000, Powertran) and is willing to try to reproduce the excitation signal as the stated settings and attached excitation 05.mp3? That would be great. I will route your excitation signal throught the vocoder 2000 and mtm5002 and post the result here.

VoiceEncoder: Did you make an offer for the red EMS vocoder 2000? If so, did you win? I am tempted to ask MSan if he could provide a mp3/aif/wav with his voiceacting as he did on the B Galactica TOS ... if his address is still valid.

Cheers!
IF I had the money I most-CERTAINLY would have! I doubt that MSan would be of much help since it was so long ago and he erroneously called it the "4000" and EMS and the other manufacturers don't have a model with that name/number. But you can always try...maybe something has jogged his memory some since...
πŸ“ Reply