Quantcast
House-Music with Diva Bass! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
House-Music with Diva Bass!
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
House-Music with Diva Bass!

Heres a Track i "finished" today. I switched back from ableton to Logic and my workflow is faster, did this mainly today. what do you think? I think the arrangment is ok, but a bit like "one piece and then the next peace..."...are there to less elements? hows the mix? (i dont have monitors so i mix with senheisser hd-25 :( )

I really appreciate critic. I cant do anything with "yeah, nice dude". Then better "sucks dude, because of....".

Thank you

Jonas

(it kicks in at 1 min, so dont stop before )
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
is it so bad? :( well even if it is, can you guys give me hints on what i need work?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ok, I'll bite.

Rather like the dirty minimal approach! Some thoughts I would try:

- Kick and bass are too fat and unruly, try muting the bass and pull something like around 250Hz out of the kick the make it a bit less lumpy. Then try around with a narrowish boost where the kick's punch is. Likely in the hundreds. Then pull some notch out of the bass at that spot.

- The closed hihat on the left has buckets of mid left in it. Could do with loosing a little, but not too much. I'd try and shave up from the bottom with a 12db hipass until it doesn't quite jump out too much. But don't overdo that one, as the way it DOES jump out is important for the energy of the groove.

- I would put all the drums in a compression group and make them bounce together with open attack and short release at ratio 4 or so. And then send a little (!) bit of the bass into that group per aux send as well, as to make the bass line trigger the drum group comp a little so there is interaction, but the main of the bass sound stays out on its own (otherwise the drum group would totally 'drown' in bass).

- I don't much like the clap rolls. Too much. I would diet that down a bit, and also quantize them differently as they stop the groove in the wrong way.

- As variation help in something minimal like this, try some 3/16 or other delay feeding of various things and dub it up a little bit, as to create some glue and smear without having to alter patterns to make things last with less 'trying' part changes.

- The whole thing feels very dry/untreated. But once the bass and punch is under control I suspect in a club I would rather love that. Could do with a teeny weeny wetting up here and there though, like tastefully on the clap. The chords in the middle feel a little wrong, spatially and fx wise. Maybe try less (or no) verb and put 3/16 delay instead and then verb hanging off that. In fact, definitely set up a 3/16 delay, eq the return so it has no bottom or top and boost a peak into it somewhere in the middle that goes with the notes of the music and then send a big reverb off that and also feed the delay back on itself. I little bit of that here and there will give the mix a backdrop. Eq the reverb with similar tactics as the delay, but obviously not the same.

Rant over......
Old 19th September 2012
msl
Lives for gear

what he said!

Generally I like it though, like the house organ vibes. And the beats are nicely programmed, some very nice little hooks in there, but those rolling claps do get annoying after a while.

Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Wow. Now that was really really helpfull. Thank you guys, gonna def. work out your tips. Gearslutz at its best
Old 29th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
btw nice oldschool flavoured deep house tune
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That little break at 2:18 is real nice, actually the whole song sounds fairly good except for the already mentioned bass and kick.

In all i liked it a lot!
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
better than 90% of the crap out there! well done. when taking peoples advice make sure you don't end up over producing it. you want to keep the rawness!
Old 1st October 2012
fdc
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
if you want to keep it oldskool dont pull up the cutoff of the bass. sounds plastic / softsynth to me. also the bassdrum is too minimal / techhouse for that kind of track and like karloff said too loud and needs some eq. i would rather exchange it.
πŸ“ Reply