Quantcast
late 80's early 90's retro wavetable disco - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
late 80's early 90's retro wavetable disco
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
late 80's early 90's retro wavetable disco

Hello slutz. I've got a couple tracks that I'd love to get some feedback on. I've taken them as far as I know how to listening in a vacuum, so could really use some input from fresh ears.

I'm not shooting for radio-ready pop production exactly -trying for something a little more stylized. Early 90's new age / soundfonts / video game / sports montage / vhs / eurovision sort of vibe. If that makes any sense

The usual disclaimers about Soundcloud etc. Compression is awful but you can download the lossless .wav's if you want.

Wondering especially about bass translation (my room is treated, but not very well), and also any other thoughts positive or negative. Thanks.

Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hey these are great, I think the bass is fine. Nice job. If you don't mind What is that patch/synth @ 2:20 on the first one? Thats just wicked..
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks a lot! The solo at 2:20 is actually a SID chip. It was played on my custom MIDIbox SID keytar which includes a ribbon controller, which I used for all the pitch bends / vibrato.

The patch is just two saw oscillators very slightly detuned running through a low pass filter with some mild resonance. The filter is being modulate by a slow envelope to give it the motion you hear. The whole thing then goes through some plugin reverb that is heavily automated so it opens up on the long notes and contracts on the fast riffs. The patch is basically a direct clone of the Vangelis CS-80 lead from the Blade Runner opening credits.

Here's a pic of the keytar:
Attached Thumbnails
late 80's early 90's retro wavetable disco-giana.jpg  
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Mostly a shameless bump. But I did update 199x with a shorter intro, slightly tweaked bass levels, slightly backed-off master compression, and a rebalance of the wavetable brass stuff in the climax.

Still looking for any advice on making these really sing. Thanks again.
๐Ÿ“ Reply