The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Easiest way to "replace audio in video"?
Old 20th March 2015
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Easiest way to "replace audio in video"?

I have edited the audio tracks from mp4 and wmv files in Cubase 6 and now I'm trying to merge them back into the source videos.

Cubase has a function called "Replace audio in video" which is supposed to do exactly what I want - replace the original audio track with the new audio track - but it doesn't work. I get corrupt video files that won't play.

I also have Vegas Movie Studio, which I appreciate is a "video editor" (Cubase is not) but I don't want to re-render the video just to add a new audio track.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? How do you edit/replace ONLY the audio part of video files?
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can do it in Quicktime Pro 7, still available at the Apple Site. Extract the old audio. Open the new audio in QT7. Copy. Add to Movie (to the video).
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it's an Mp4 H.264, and you're trying to avoid reencoding the video, you need to make sure you're using MP4 pass-thru in QuickTime 7.

When you go to File > Export in Player 7, don't select "Movie to Quicktime Movie," use "Movie to MPEG-4". In that dialogue, under the "Video" tab, you select Video Format: Pass-thru. This will export the movie without passing the picture through the H.264 encoder twice. Doing it any other way with QT Player Pro will recompress the movie.

You will have to encode the audio AAC, because this is the spec for an MP4 file. If you want to embed LPCM audio tracks in the file (making it an invalid MP4 but still a valid Quicktime Movie), you'll have to use something like ffmpeg.
Old 21st March 2015
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the replies but I neglected to mention that I'm on Win 7 (not Mac). I don't think Quicktime Pro is an option, but I will look into it.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should be able to lay your hands on the windows ffmpeg, you 'll have to learn how to use it from the command line but it'll do exactly what you're talking about.

For what you're doing you'll need to do something like:

Code:
ffmpeg -i VIDEOFILE.wmv -i AUDIOFILE.wav -c:v copy OUTFILE.wmv
Mutatis mutandis MP4 files.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
QT7 Pro works fine in Windows 7.

There are also front ends for ffmpeg if you aren't command-line inclined. I like XMedia Recode.
Old 21st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear ➑️
Thank you for the replies but I neglected to mention that I'm on Win 7 (not Mac). I don't think Quicktime Pro is an option, but I will look into it.
QuickTime 7 Pro for Windows - Apple Store (U.S.)
Old 25th March 2015
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the input.

FYI - I also found a neat little tool called "Machete" that does this for a variety of files including both mp4 and wmv. Easy to use as well and only $20.

Easy Video Editor for FLV, MP4, 3GP, MKV, AVI, WMV etc files
Old 25th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For MP4 files there are a bunch of free tools to do this rather quickly.

The basis for them is MP4box, and here are two GUIs for it.

Yamb

and

My MP4Box GUI 0.6.0.6

You may need to spend 60 seconds reading how to do what you need, but there you go. I've used YAMB countless times.

Audio.

Please keep in mind that AAC is the audio that is usually stuffed in to MP4 files. AAC files can be made with ITunes, or simply with the Nero AAC encoder, which is very fast and very good.

Grab the encoder here (it's free): Nero AAC Codec - Technologies
Scroll to the bottom.

Then grab this handy little Batchcommandline GUI, which lets you execute almost any commandline utility on files you can just drag'n'drop in to the program window : Batchenc

It's free as well. I've probably used this many thousands of times.

Use this commandline (paste it in and hit the PLUS button to add it as a commandline you can pick from the dropdown).

Code:
neroAacEnc -cbr 256000 -if <infile> -of <outfile.mp4>

All of this takes five minutes of your time to download, install(anywhere) and learn how to use. It relies on freely available, portable tools, that you can carry anywhere and start on any Windows machine.

Hope this helps.
Old 26th March 2015
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
Wow, Airon, thanks for all the info! Will check this out!
Old 24th November 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Lightbulb

Hey, someone know free soft for replace audio in a video without re-encoding for Mac Os X?

Same problem with Cubase Pro 8...

Quote:
Cubase has a function called "Replace audio in video" which is supposed to do exactly what I want - replace the original audio track with the new audio track - but it doesn't work. I get corrupt video files that won't play.
But for me Cubase show this "Cannot remove existing audio from video file"
Video file is not in use in another app.
Attached Thumbnails
Easiest way to &quot;replace audio in video&quot;?-cubaseerror.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
https://audiospot.audio/audiospot-creativetools

The very best.

Fredo
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Shutter encoder
https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
FFmpeg. I wrote a python GUI to extract/replace audio from video files in batch. https://github.com/littlegtplr/toucan_video_parser
πŸ“ Reply