Quantcast
Looking for a projector - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a projector
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking for a projector

Can anyone recommend a modest projector for a smaller post room ie 6m x 5m?
My budget in USD is anywhere between 1-5k but would prefer to find something good for about 2-2.5k
Range of lighting in room from full dark. Feed is from black magic and can be anything from H264 to Prores. I have had projectors (an Eiki) that were poor with regards to cropping.

60% of my work will be pal, 30% at 23.98, 10% 24fps

Also looking for a good supplier of perf screens

Cheers
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dazian - Creative Fabric Environments
I used the Celtic Cloth. speakers behind it.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just replaced my Harkness Microperf screen with a Seymore/ Screen Excelence Acoustical Transparent screen. Sounds amazing!
As for Projectors I also have both an Eiki and a Barco 2K.
The Eiki looks great. It's the LC-WUL100.
Not as good as the Barco, but for the price, it's nice.
Look at Amazon.com Top Rated: The best in Video Projectors based on Amazon customer reviews
And
Home Video Projector Reviews
Old 8th April 2014
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Screen

Ditto on the Seymour screen, and Panasonic AE 8000u!
Best cash I have invested in my room.
Marti, I did not know they made screens as large as the one in the Dubstage.
Is it 20' wide? 24 wide?
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
28' x 12'
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hi guys

many thanks. Is the panasonic AE8000 bright enough? How noisy is it? Ie how robust will a baffle box need to be?
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have two 35mm projectors that would suit you perfectly. Lots of light, doesn't care about pal or 23.98. Big ass motors, two super neat little power supplies that measures 20"x12"x12. Heavy duty cabling and nice three phase connectors.
Oh they are a tad bit noisy, but as long as you build a good room for them with a professional cinema glass window and acoustically sealed doors it will work just perfect.

Oh, they are American to boot!
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
hi guys

many thanks. Is the panasonic AE8000 bright enough? How noisy is it? Ie how robust will a baffle box need to be?
Very quiet in eco mode, which turns the brightness down but it still looks good, and plenty of control to help calibrate picture. If you do put it in a box it will be nearly silent. At the time I bought mine it was one of the quietest out there.

This is going to help you:
Find Projectors By Feature
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We have a more budget one, Epson EH-TW6100W , but still I find it perfect for our room which is your size more or less. What do you mean by poor cropping?
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have the AE4000U and it is PLENTY bright. Don't let the lack of lumens fool you, it achieves its picture by off the charts contrast. You room won't need a very long throw. The 8000u should be even brighter, I mean, it's 4000 more....
Quote:
How noisy is it? Ie how robust will a baffle box need to be?
The 4000U is pretty quiet. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers ➑️
Very quiet in eco mode, which turns the brightness down but it still looks good, and plenty of control to help calibrate picture. If you do put it in a box it will be nearly silent. At the time I bought mine it was one of the quietest out there.
I never run mine in Eco mode, but, yes, it is slightly quieter in that mode. If it gets hot, then it will be louder. I had it in a baffled cowl, and could barely hear it. When mixing you don't hear it. When idle, yeah, a little. When doing foley, well, yeah, a little more in the mics. Then I built a box for it that was inexpensive, silent and cool enough. Basically it is a cube the size of a big dog cage with (scrap) insulation panels on the inside. I put in one piece of optical glass. Then, there are two 3x3" holes in the back on the bottom and two in the front at the top. The two in the front at the top have dead-silent PC fans (6dBA). The holes have hanging baffles in front of them. Access is via the side panel with a piano lock. Put a thermometer in there and it never gets past 80ΒΊ in there.

I can send you pics. Depending on how handy you are, it can be pretty cheap.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I had the Panasonic (older version, but basically the same). It was pretty great, but they had an issue with the model I had where the iris wasn't lubricated right and it needed pretty regular attention. I've since gone back to a large LED TV. Still have my DaLite perf screen if you want it cheap.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
FYI the panasonic 8000 is MUCH quieter in eco mode.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Chris, I have the Panasonic (not 3d) and it's pretty good. Using in Eco mode the noise is hardly there at my mixing position, but not awesome for someone sitting at the back. I don't have a box for it.
Also in the Eco mode the room needs to be quite dim for the picture to be bright enough.
The dealer offered a trial prior to purchase so that was good.
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Vedat. Is it the AE8000? Or another model.
Where did you guys source a screen from down under?

Must pop in next time I am up. I am supposed to be doing a bunch of things with Images later in the year.
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG ➑️
I have two 35mm projectors that would suit you perfectly. Lots of light, doesn't care about pal or 23.98. Big ass motors, two super neat little power supplies that measures 20"x12"x12. Heavy duty cabling and nice three phase connectors.
Oh they are a tad bit noisy, but as long as you build a good room for them with a professional cinema glass window and acoustically sealed doors it will work just perfect.

Oh, they are American to boot!
lol

I find it very sad that these awesome machines will no longer grace our facilities
Loved the juxtaposition of pro tools, plugins and hd and mech devices running bi-phase.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartprovine ➑️
I had the Panasonic (older version, but basically the same). It was pretty great, but they had an issue with the model I had where the iris wasn't lubricated right and it needed pretty regular attention. I've since gone back to a large LED TV. Still have my DaLite perf screen if you want it cheap.
Is your screen able to be rolled up and shipped? I am in New Zealand but if it was a workable size for me then I'd be happy to take a punt
What are the dimensions?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Vedat. Is it the AE8000? Or another model.
Where did you guys source a screen from down under?

Must pop in next time I am up. I am supposed to be doing a bunch of things with Images later in the year.
No, ours is PT AR100.

Screen came from tasmanscreens.com, Elite EZ Frame, Acoustic 1080 135".
Pretty happy with my decisions, but it took me a while to get it all sorted.
Installed it myself too.

Yeah, why don't you stop by.
Old 31st July 2019
Here for the gear
I'm currently using kabuki drops set-up. exceptionally easy-to-use Curtain Drop System and the wide selection of parts can be configured to meet your exact event requirements. I got my materials here https://www.drapekings.com/electro-kabuki-ek2-system/
Old 31st July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrapeKings ➑️
I'm currently using kabuki drops set-up. exceptionally easy-to-use Curtain Drop System and the wide selection of parts can be configured to meet your exact event requirements. I got my materials here https://www.drapekings.com/electro-kabuki-ek2-system/
And your username is the same as the place where you got the materials... what are the odds?...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I had great results with this projector as I have a brighter room combination. This is an Anti-Glare best tv for me.
I looked up some of the nicest ones in the market here - https://projectorslab.com/best-tv-fo...anti-glare-tv/
As a Benq fan, I'm eying the W1600UST https://www.benq.com/en-me/projector.../w1600ust.html for the next purchase.
πŸ“ Reply