need help with understanding mixing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need help with understanding mixing
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
need help with understanding mixing

Hey guys!

Have been reading a few guides on mixing lately. Most guides i´ve been reading covers eq, compression, panning and reverb. But effects such as distortion, saturation etc are not mentioned too often. My problem is that I dont understand the order Im supposed to do things in. Am I supposed to put on effects while writing the song ( as a part of the sounddesign/making the sound more interesting), and while im doing a mixdown I should focus on eq, comp, reverb and panning? Hope you guys understand what I mean :-)
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know people will get mad at me for saying this but—

Just start doing it and experiment.
See what works for you.
Learning to mix takes LOTS of practice, so you might as well start. And then you will pick up things along the way.
Be prepared to re-do things a lot, and make mistakes, and not sound good. But just keep at it.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Listen to what you like, then go for that!
Is it distorted/saturated vocals? Well distort/saturate the vocal till it sounds good...
Use a mix as reference, try to make your mix sound as close to the ref as you can both sound as dynamic etc.
Practice x1000000 times... As MusicJesus said
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dive ➡️
Listen to what you like, then go for that!
Is it distorted/saturated vocals? Well distort/saturate the vocal till it sounds good...
Use a mix as reference, try to make your mix sound as close to the ref as you can both sound as dynamic etc.
Practice x1000000 times... As MusicJesus said
Thanks for the tip :-) But maybe you could share the order you do things in? Just to have something to start with :-)
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There are almost as many ways of mixing as there are mixers... And on the topic of order, you'll soon realize that while it is good to work in a structured way, you will invariably have to go back and adjust things - every new element that you introduce in the mix will affect everything else (e.g. the eq setting that made the vocal track sound sooo good in solo might not work when played together with one or more instruments, etc.).

Also, you might want to post questions like these in the Newbie audio engineering & production question zone subforum. The Post Production forum is for discussions pertaining to Television, Film, Video and Radio.

Good luck!
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by inf0l ➡️
There are almost as many ways of mixing as there are mixers... And on the topic of order, you'll soon realize that while it is good to work in a structured way, you will invariably have to go back and adjust things - every new element that you introduce in the mix will affect everything else (e.g. the eq setting that made the vocal track sound sooo good in solo might not work when played together with one or more instruments, etc.).

Also, you might want to post questions like these in the Newbie audio engineering & production question zone subforum. The Post Production forum is for discussions pertaining to Television, Film, Video and Radio.

Good luck!
+1 for this.

For music, you could do worse than read 'The Mix Engineers Handbook' - it's got a lot of great advice.

I mix music like I mix my shows, the voice/dialogue is king or queen. Those need to shine above everything else supporting it.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Experimentation is key.

Take a piece of music (or whatever) and insert first a compressor, and then an EQ. Duplicate the track and reverse the order of the plug-ins; EQ, then compression. Pay attention to the differences. Do this with individual sounds. Do this with sub-mixes. Do EQ-Compressor-EQ-Compressor, do Compressor-EQ-Compressor-EQ. Try all kinds of weird and crazy things. Play with automation. Spends hours, days, weeks and months doing this when you're not working.

When it comes to music I like to EQ and then compress the kick drum for Rap/Hip-Hop, but compress and then EQ when doing real kick drums. But that's just me. Your style will evolve with experience.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…