The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help needed with monitors (anyone?)
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Help needed with monitors (anyone?)

Hello all.
I'm currently in the market for a good pair of monitors for post and music,
post audio is first and foremost though.
Currently I have a pair of Dynaudio bm6a's. Im just not happy with their colour and the way they translate to other systems.. tv radio etc
I ordered a pair of JBL LSR 4300 (6inch pair) a few months back. They took forever to arrive and the long and short is I cancelled them, as the show I was working on finished before they came. Im still sort of leaning in that direction but want to hear what others are using for post and music. I don't mind spending upwards of 2k
I just want to make sure i get something solid that will last a long time and not hype the low end etc.
my mix room is about 10 wide by 16' so i can't get anything too big.

I would love to hear what you're using
Thoughts ?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have gone through the same process and decided on the JBL 6328s. They are dearer but the way I figure it - monitors are something you have for a long time so they had better be as good as you possibly can afford. I am coming from an extensive Genelec (studio) and Dynaudio (personal) background. The 4328 and 6328 were my main focus. I wanted something that translated, was unflattering and had good head room. The 6328s have quite a bit more power than any of the equivalent 8" nearfield I have looked at. I think they are 120wfor high end and 250 for woofer. I figure I will have forgotten the price difference in a little while, whilst if I ended up with the 4328s I'd be forever wondering if the 6's were better. In the process I have auditioned Adams, KRKs, Focals, Yamahas and my conclusion was for post that the 6328's ticked all the boxes an will create a pretty capale 5.1 setup for a a modest room. MY 2c.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could always go for the older lsr 28p. Same monitor and they go for cheap on eBay.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The JBL 43xx's in 5.1 for a little around $4500 made me very happy. I like the network integration and built-in surround monitor controller. If the 63xx series had the same computer integration, I would have considered them.

In my listening tests, only the Genelecs were competitive, and considerably more expensive. Focal, Dynaudio... not for me.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman ➑️
The JBL 43xx's in 5.1 for a little around $4500 made me very happy. I like the network integration and built-in surround monitor controller. If the 63xx series had the same computer integration, I would have considered them.

In my listening tests, only the Genelecs were competitive, and considerably more expensive. Focal, Dynaudio... not for me.
What us it about monitors that draws out such emotion! I HIGHLY disagree about focal. I use focal twins for l c r. Best money I ever spent. Those monitors are mid range microscopes! I know if it sounds good on them, no other speaker will surprize me.
As for the other reasonsyoubought the jbl 4300's
Monitor controller is not good, I ise a multimax, and room calibration, no eq can stop sound from bouncing off a wall.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, totally. Incredibly subjective. To the OP, I highly recommend going to a dealer and listening. It will amaze you. Dale Pro Audio and B&H in NYC both have good ways of auditioning loudspeakers and headphones. Properly setup, you will be stunned by how big the differences are.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
I have gone through the same process and decided on the JBL 6328s. They are dearer but the way I figure it - monitors are something you have for a long time so they had better be as good as you possibly can afford. I am coming from an extensive Genelec (studio) and Dynaudio (personal) background. The 4328 and 6328 were my main focus. I wanted something that translated, was unflattering and had good head room. The 6328s have quite a bit more power than any of the equivalent 8" nearfield I have looked at. I think they are 120wfor high end and 250 for woofer. I figure I will have forgotten the price difference in a little while, whilst if I ended up with the 4328s I'd be forever wondering if the 6's were better. In the process I have auditioned Adams, KRKs, Focals, Yamahas and my conclusion was for post that the 6328's ticked all the boxes an will create a pretty capale 5.1 setup for a a modest room. MY 2c.
its so so sad hearing about the JBL 6328's
Before I started my hunt, a good friend offered me his JBL 6328's for 1500$
At the time I did the hum and haw thing. He ended up selling them , then i realized I really needed a new pair. Now I'm settling on the LSR series.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should get the 8s or the 6s for my room size ? I know the Focal stuff is really really great too! I want speakers for post though. I feel like the Focals are built for music. Anyone that knows what to chime in on that feeling ? I could be way off.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48volts ➑️
At the time I did the hum and haw thing. He ended up selling them , then i realized I really needed a new pair. Now I'm settling on the LSR series.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should get the 8s or the 6s for my room size ? I know the Focal stuff is really really great too! I want speakers for post though. I feel like the Focals are built for music. Anyone that knows what to chime in on that feeling ? I could be way off.
Either 6 or 8 will work just fine. Great sounding monitors for the price
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I personally didn't think the Focals translated well enough and were underpowered compared to the JBLs - as is virtually every other 8" Nearfield monitor really.
What I wanted was something that was detailed and accurate at low level and had the headroom and power to pre dub effects for cinema. If you are Stateside you will find a s/f pair. I was looking at a few on ebay but shipping was prohibitive to New Zealand. 3 or 4 respected sound editors and sound designers working on various productions such as Hobbit, Tin Tin Kong etc run these and really comment on their translation not only to dub stage but onto TV.

The Focals sounded fabulous but I was deeply concerned at how "good" some material sounded on them that I new to sound pretty crap. I think they would be a lovely second pair in a music studio and are well looked after, well built etc
But in post I feel we have different needs. And nth degree sound quality is not nearly as important as how balance panning and eq decisions translate out into the world of poorly aligned cinemas and crap tv's
Old 14th March 2014
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62;
And nth degree sound quality is not nearly as important as how balance panning and eq decisions translate out into the world of poorly aligned cinemas and crap tv's
Not my theory on monitors. I want the most information about the signal I can get. I have lo fi monitors to replicate TV sets. Focal twins, Adams s3as just have a ton of information in the mid range that really translates to mid range heavy tv, consumer stereos, just my thoughts on the subject. Also, focal twins have so much headroom. 115 spl. Way more volume then is needed at 85dB.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross ➑️
Either 6 or 8 will work just fine. Great sounding monitors for the price

I would DEFINITELY go with 8!
For a few reasons.
One, the price difference is very little.
You get more lows and more power.
If you ever move into a bigger room and want 8's, well you'll already have them. And you can get the full 5.1 later
I went with the LSR 4828 5.1 and so have a LOT of folks around here. They translate very well into bigger dub stages.
And in my opinion it's always better to have more than you need than to not have enough and with you did for certain mixes.
I've had mine for about 4 years now and LOVE them. Can mix for 12 hour days with no fatigue. Clean sound. Easy to set up with the R.M.C, has Bass Management (even though I rarely ever use it). The remote controls eash speaker.
The orange JBL led light on each speaker really adds a warm decor to the room, and when you turn them on, it lights up brighter giving better performance.
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm using Focal CSM65 5.1 system and love them. Excellent translation and really solid. Had Dolby in to shoot my room and they were very surprised at how low they could go without the sub support
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…