Quantcast
How would you call this position? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How would you call this position?
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
How would you call this position?

The company I work for wants me to create a new position in the post team and be in charge of it. You tell me what could be its name since I am not sure yet. Let me explain you what it is about first.

We are a big TV production company, and constantly there are 2, 3 or even 4 shows being produced simultaneously.

Each production has its own audio post team, which includes 4 people most of the times: A mixer (who also selects and edits the music, that's why here we call him the "musicalizer"), a dialog editor, a foley editor and an assistant who does backgrounds, conforms, and various tasks (everyone has to do everything at certain point when deadlines are tough).

The head of the audio team in each project is the mixer, he makes decisions, gives rules to the team, and organizes the workflow. However, he has a big amount of responsabilities and there is where the idea of creating a new position came from.

My responsability would be to improve the quality of everything audio related in post, by being in constant communication with the production sound team and giving them feedback, giving advice about locations in preproduction, providing dialog editors with new tools and techniques to do their work better, being a support for the mixers by designing custom reverbs, telephone filters, and different patches for each project, and being a bridge between the director of postproduction, and the audio team.

I don´t know if a position like this is usual in other companies, so let me know what do you think could be improved, and what would be the name of this new position.

Thanks.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Post production coordinator, at least that's what we call them
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I forgot to say that this duties are additional to my current role as dialog editor.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Dialog editor AND post production coordinator..
Haha I don't know we have specific people who only do the coordinating,
they do it for both audio and video though.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotkelly ➡️
The company I work for wants me to create a new position in the post team and be in charge of it. You tell me what could be its name since I am not sure yet. Let me explain you what it is about first.

We are a big TV production company, and constantly there are 2, 3 or even 4 shows being produced simultaneously.

Each production has its own audio post team, which includes 4 people most of the times: A mixer (who also selects and edits the music, that's why here we call him the "musicalizer"), a dialog editor, a foley editor and an assistant who does backgrounds, conforms, and various tasks (everyone has to do everything at certain point when deadlines are tough).

The head of the audio team in each project is the mixer, he makes decisions, gives rules to the team, and organizes the workflow. However, he has a big amount of responsabilities and there is where the idea of creating a new position came from.

My responsability would be to improve the quality of everything audio related in post, by being in constant communication with the production sound team and giving them feedback, giving advice about locations in preproduction, providing dialog editors with new tools and techniques to do their work better, being a support for the mixers by designing custom reverbs, telephone filters, and different patches for each project, and being a bridge between the director of postproduction, and the audio team.

I don´t know if a position like this is usual in other companies, so let me know what do you think could be improved, and what would be the name of this new position.

Thanks.
The bridge between director and audio team is the supervising sound editor.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…