Quantcast
Role of the Supervising Dialog Editor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Role of the Supervising Dialog Editor
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Role of the Supervising Dialog Editor

I know this one seems pretty obvious, but I would like to know what are the duties of a Supervising Dialog Editor.

Of course he has the responsability to observe other Dialog Editors work and keep the quality as high as possible giving them advice, and providing them with tools and techniques that will help them to do their work better.

I also understand that a Supervising Dialog Editor is responsible to be in constant communication with the production team in order to give them feedback and letting them know what are the needs at Post or what can be improved.

However, I would really like to know with as much detail as possible about the specific duties of Supervising Dialog Editors at different Post facilities, and how is their Dialog Editing workflow (not in technical terms, but more about how they get involved in the production and their role in the overall process).

Thanks for your time.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've never heard the term Supervising Dialog Editor. Maybe it's just me. Supervising SOUND Editor is a fairly common term and it usually refers to the person that is in charge of the sound of the project overall. Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

Have you read John Purcell's book? He goes fairly in depth about the role of the dialog editor.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your reply Jeff.

In companies like the one I work for, we produce 2, 3 or even 4 TV shows simultaneously, each one with its own dialog editor.

Since I know that a Supervising Dialog Editor is used in film and some TV projects, I would like to know with as much detail as possible what are their duties.

I must say that we do not have one yet as part of our post team, and I've been given te responsability to create this position, that's why I will appreciate all the information shared here.

Thanks again
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The supervising dialog editor is the main dialog editor on a show that, for various reasons (mostly time issues) needs more than one dia editor. That's about it.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotkelly ➡️
Thanks for your reply Jeff.

In companies like the one I work for, we produce 2, 3 or even 4 TV shows simultaneously, each one with its own dialog editor.

Since I know that a Supervising Dialog Editor is used in film and some TV projects, I would like to know with as much detail as possible what are their duties.

I must say that we do not have one yet as part of our post team, and I've been given te responsability to create this position, that's why I will appreciate all the information shared here.

Thanks again
You kinda answered your own question in the first sentence
I have worked on show where there have been dialogue supervisors and in that role they spot and liaise on adr mainly. Its as much a smoothing of waters and management role. They sit in on the dx predub and the understanding is that they know the taste of the producers
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotkelly ➡️

Thanks again
In a situation like this it would seem that person's main role would be coordinating the resources needed by the dialogue editors, scheduling ADR sessions (including scheduling the talent), and liaising the needs of the dialogue department with the supervising sound editor or post production supervisor. I'm not sure how much time that would leave for that person to do any actual editing.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…