Quantcast
Collapsing soundfileld (5.1) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Collapsing soundfileld (5.1)
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Collapsing soundfileld (5.1)

Any suggestions on how to collapse a soundfield in 5.1?
The sort of thing that would move the audience out of the environment they're seeing on screen (eg a street of hillside) and pulls them into their heads, and hopefully making them uncomfortable?

(My surround amp is away for repairs, so I can't play around with this at the moment and am trying to get some ideas for when I get it back.)

I'm wondering about pulling everything from the LR / LsRs in towards the centre and increasing the amount that goes to LsRs, but I'm not sure whether this will be dramatic enough or what will be effective for the C (though there is no dialogue to worry about).
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure that this could work as you describe, as the placement of people in a theatre would mean this wouldn't work for anyone except for the lucky person in the sweet spot.

Or do you mean something like they could be enveloped In a Jungle surround setting, which then collapses down to the films protagonist watching it on a tv? Walter Mitty was a pretty good recent film for these jarring transitions if I recall correctly.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Its sound design in a first place.
Make a composition (no music) which works dramatically.
Then leave it to a mixer to spread it right and stand as powerful as it can be.
But again, you need to provide right elements. So your talent is the answer.
Don't count too much on some weird stuff you can do with a panning around the room as at the end the matter is what you pan, not how.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
There's plenty of sound design that does that already, and it works well in stereo. And I'll be doing the surround mix.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Think outside the box, try silence, or something seemingly unrelated.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
A good suggestion (and a lot of the sound design is already very outside the box) but it's not specific to surround mixing.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is it motivated by a change visually (a cut, POV shot etc.)?

Is it a slow transition or an instantaneous change?

What is the reason for the change? What is happening in the story and on screen? This might help with suggestions.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'd say playing a 15KHz sinus from all speakers at 0dBFS would make alot of people uncomfortable. Or try blasting sub-harmonic stuff from the LFE and silence the rest.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Honestly, even though it's been done many times before;

Silence. Nothing as uncomfortable in a theater IMO.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…