52 x 11 minute animation series - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
52 x 11 minute animation series
Old 9th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
52 x 11 minute animation series

Hi Folks,

I know this is a pain in the a** topic but I'm going to ask about quotes! We have been given the opportunity to pitch for a new animated series (52 x 11 episodes) and I'm interested to know if anyone can pitch in with advice.

We do a lot of sound for animation but it tends to be small projects, one offs etc. Maybe just voice over, just sound design and so on.

So I am a bit unsure as to what budgets tend to be like for a full on 52 ep series of high quality animation. Probably for CITV or Cartoon Network, something along those lines.

Anyone worked on a project like this that would be happy to advise?

Cheers
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
High quality 11 minutes? $7500 per ep. Thats really high quality tv stuff though so think maybe a bit less. It really depends on the material. If its a michael bay movie realized as animation its gonna be a ton of effects.
Old 10th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Have you seen the script/animatic/bible/pilot?

Is it action/adventure?, pre-school?, lots of locations & characters?

Does it require any bespoke sound design?

The answers to these questions will help you get a feel of how long and episode will take.

You will probably be delivered multiple episodes at once. Think of the resources required to meet your delivery too.

Nick
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Bespoke ... ah, the english language can be beautiful ...

cheers

john
Old 11th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH_UK ➑️
Have you seen the script/animatic/bible/pilot?
This is very important. Some shows become "plug-and-play;" a large portion of the sounds you design can be put into a show/series library and used over and over with only minor modifications (think the Hanna-Barbera library for "The Flintstones"). Others may require a huge number of unique sounds for every single episode.

I worked on an animated series a number of years ago as the sound editor. It took a few (very long) days for the first eight episodes or so, but came down considerably (one long day or two short ones) as the series library grew.
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Looking at a script would be a great insight.
Even better to be able to discuss the project with the person in charge.

Knowing what expectations exist with the person who is then going to approve the deal is the best way. The experienced Producer(s) is going to know if full foley, sound design, some music editing, all that stuff, is needed & how much time/$ that means.

Animation for TV means some pretty mean deadlines. You are going to need to have a plan for the over-time when there are the late turn overs &/or picture changes.
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the replies all! We have test material being sent soon so this will be great for putting a quite together.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…