The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing Pro Tools 11: The new standard for audio production.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
AAF btw. is also not a proprietary format.
Ask any developer working for a different DAW company. Digi is notorious for 'tweaking' their OMF and AAF exports / imports so that they break with other software. Then MOTU and Steiny and the rest have to reverse engineer and issue updates to match Digi's implementation of so-called international standard.

For a while, the only reason I kept PT in my studio (and on a machine that wasn't tied into the LAN) was so I could massage OMF imports from my preferred software, and then re-export them as Digi-happy OMFs for other studios.
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➑️
Huh? Sorry, but that is nonsense. The expand to tracks feature simply finds matching TC and meta-data from BWAVs and BWAVs in MXF containers. How is that tied to Media Composer & PT. It's simply a pretty smart feature that no one else has implemented. Pyramix had a conform from disk feature but it relies on audio EDLs which isn't quite as elegant.

And why can others not offer the same? It's not really rocket science. BWAV meta-data is an open format.

Again MXF is NOT a proprietary AVID format. It's an international standard and even required as a delivery format for tapeless workflows. It's simply very professional to support it. So where are the competitors in that field? All locked into the evil AVID conspiracy?
Not really. They are simply behind.

AAF btw. is also not a proprietary format.

Also what does the fact that MXF was a memory hog in PT have to do with anything? Where is the conspiracy (AVID vs. the rest of the world) there?
It was simply a PT non-64bit issue.

How does that tie everyone else in?

Anyway, this is turning into a AVID vs. the rest of the world discussion so I'll stop right here.

All I wanted to point out: There are two sides to this ever repeated "yeah, others have had this and that for years and PT doesn't"-litany. The same is true vice versa. Depends on your perspective.

I just tired about hearing the same old record over and over again every time a new version of PT comes out that add some of the features others have had for years.
Just for the record want to point out that the conform feature in Pyramix doesn't rely just on an audio edl, it also can use the AAF along with many other matching criteria options.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Introducing Pro Tools 11: The new standard for audio production.

I thought it already WAS the standard
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon ➑️
Apple-g, the negative in that feature set is that it's local to the Avid ecosystem, i.e. it's a degree of lock-in to one manufacturer by supporting your own feature set and thus less healthy for us, the people who pay for the products. Competition always drives down price and fosters competition for our money.
I'm not going to play the "lock-in" card here, AAF/MXF is reasonably well-supported, I just don't think we should be counting obligatory functions as giving one DAW or another a competitive advantage.

On the other hand, the fact that it's a published standard isn't really dispositive of anything-- the number of implementations on the market is the only real measure, and the standard itself lacks a compliance or validation regime and it's pretty tolerant of vendor-specific additions (it wouldn't have been adopted otherwise, because SMPTE is run by vendors, not users.)

Quote:
Maybe it's time to seriously organize around collecting votes and good arguments for Ideascale posts.
It's their product and I don't see the point in "organizing" anything. It's not a union and frankly I'm better off with it the way it is than without it at all (give the reality of the "ecosystem," that's the way the bargain seems to work out). Our interests and Avid's, by their nature, are adverse.

Also it seems I go that point on the panner wrong, my mistake, though I coulda sworn I was having that last week...
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really don't understand why every new release spawns a bitch fest. 10 was a major improvement over 9 and the amount of complaining was epic. 11 looks to be a major improvement over 10 and still more complaints. I have some minor issues with the way Pro Tools functions, but certainly nothing major. All I have to do is think back to the days of guillotine splicers and split reels and that puts everything into perspective. Regarding pricing, I know people want upgrades to be cheap, but I'd rather pay for the cost of R&D and engineering than get a freebie and have the company go bankrupt. I have made a lot of money using Pro Tools and the price of upgrades are a drop in the bucket by comparison. It's the cost of doing business and compared to many other industries, the cost of retooling is negligible.
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well said Gary. Some of these people could have paid for the upgrade cost many times over--if they were *working* on PT, instead of on these forums complaining about it! And no client cares what version I'm on; I upgrade my home studio to speed up my workflow.

The post house I work at most is still on PT 9, does any producer care? No. Once one said, "hey your screen looks
different" when moving from PT 7-8. That's all I've ever heard from clients about different Pro Tools versions.

And I will gladly pay more to have it STABLE.
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan ➑️
I really don't understand why every new release spawns a bitch fest. 10 was a major improvement over 9 and the amount of complaining was epic. 11 looks to be a major improvement over 10 and still more complaints. I have some minor issues with the way Pro Tools functions, but certainly nothing major. All I have to do is think back to the days of guillotine splicers and split reels and that puts everything into perspective. Regarding pricing, I know people want upgrades to be cheap, but I'd rather pay for the cost of R&D and engineering than get a freebie and have the company go bankrupt. I have made a lot of money using Pro Tools and the price of upgrades are a drop in the bucket by comparison. It's the cost of doing business and compared to many other industries, the cost of retooling is negligible.
+1000
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra ➑️
Also it seems I go that point on the panner wrong, my mistake, though I coulda sworn I was having that last week...
Maybe you got screwed by the LFE pot in the panner, which has a "touch" behavior while the rest of the panner is "latch", in T/L mode.
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko ➑️
Maybe you got screwed by the LFE pot in the panner, which has a "touch" behavior while the rest of the panner is "latch", in T/L mode.
I hate that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan ➑️
Well put!
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Well said... +10
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Be glad that Avid is actively improving the app, instead of letting it languish unimproved while continuing to have the benefits of market domination. I'm always ready to pay for real improvements, and if they don't sell their userbase new stuff they will go out of business, no pro PT user wants that. The recent upgrades have been cheaper than some they have done in the past, when they were more hardware centric. I'm going to upgrade my PT rig to 11 as soon as I can.

philp
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I didn't intend to bitch about Protools 11. The AAF & OMF issue was simply a factual statement based on experience of many collegues around me, myself, statements by DAW manufacturers and authors of translation applications. I deal with those problems as does everyone here.

In fact, I'm quite happy that Protools 11 seems to be one of the most promising releases, a real leap forward. I hope to try it out as soon as it becomes available.

I do disagree with ceasing to try to influence the feature set. The Ideascale site is just one way to do that.

We'll see how that new codebase strengthens their ability to introduce innovative stuff, like the RAM cache, in to future releases. We might even get definable keyboard shortcuts and mouse behaviour modification.
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Holland ➑️
According to daleproaudio.com. Yes. I believe 7 at a time.
It may take me a while to trust a feature like this. I have been bitten more than once on std bounce to disk - so much so that I now use a dubber and print the stems and listen to them! On balance its about 50/50 operator error and pro tools fault that have caused issues.
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I get bored of the complaints and really it doesn't matter in the end. Pro Tools whether we like it or not, use it or not has become the standard for post - a bit like sprockets to add a film reference and the others are pretty irrelevant. Try taking a nuendo (or other) session into some of the big facilities....some will but most will send you on you way. If you want to collaborate as far as I am concerned its PT end of discussion. As far as upgrade price, I am not that bothered as a CPTK user it's a price I am willing to pay to have choice over 3rd party interfaces. Avid isn't perfect but hardly any pro audio manufacturer is - you just have to look at Dolby to understand that - half their gear is held together with garden twine and wishful thinking but it works and for now is the standard
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
I get bored of the complaints and really it doesn't matter in the end. Pro Tools whether we like it or not, use it or not has become the standard for post - a bit like sprockets to add a film reference and the others are pretty irrelevant. Try taking a nuendo (or other) session into some of the big facilities....some will but most will send you on you way. If you want to collaborate as far as I am concerned its PT end of discussion. As far as upgrade price, I am not that bothered as a CPTK user it's a price I am willing to pay to have choice over 3rd party interfaces. Avid isn't perfect but hardly any pro audio manufacturer is - you just have to look at Dolby to understand that - half their gear is held together with garden twine and wishful thinking but it works and for now is the standard
It's a standard and better than that, it isn't an absolute standard. You can work in whatever daw you want as long as you can bring a PT session to the stage that is understandable to the mixers. It's NOT like 35mm or various video formats that are absolute fixed standards in that way.

philp
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the US some tv networks require pro tools session for delivery. You have to work I pro tools!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross ➑️
In the US some tv networks require pro tools session for delivery. You have to work I pro tools!!
Really? Who?
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So one question...

If you have Pro Tools 11 HD installed on a computer without HD hardware, are you able to record more than 32 tracks at once?

Right now, I have Pro Tools 10HD with an RME RayDat card, and Pro Tools 10 HD only recognizes 32 out of the 36 inputs on the RayDAT card. I do not have Pro Tools 10 with the CPTK, I have a full copy of Pro Tools 10 HD.

Hopefully they fix this in Pro Tools 11 HD!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No, you don't have to work in PT. You have to deliver what stems etc they want in PT. Big diff.

philp
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Really? Who?
MTV does... at least did on a series I mixed about 2 years ago.
Old 22nd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not uncommon for feature film delivery as well, although Pro Tools is becoming a catchall like hoover was/is to vacuum cleaners.
Anyway like I say the other daws have become a little irrelevant in that respect. If you collaborate you prob need to be on pro tools. It doesn't really matter what is best - kinda vhs vs beta and we know who won that battle.
Nuendo is nice but I doubt that I will ever invest in it as I work for a range of people and PT is the prerequisite. I have been in a session where the sound super has told the composer to **** off and bring back a PT session or print the stems but he wasn't going to waste a single second on nuendo as good as it undoubtably is
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So one question...

If you have Pro Tools 11 HD installed on a computer without HD hardware, are you able to record more than 32 tracks at once?

Right now, I have Pro Tools 10HD with an RME RayDat card, and Pro Tools 10 HD only recognizes 32 out of the 36 inputs on the RayDAT card. I do not have Pro Tools 10 with the CPTK, I have a full copy of Pro Tools 10 HD.

Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom ➑️
MTV does... at least did on a series I mixed about 2 years ago.
I finished a series for MTV a few weeks ago and the Protools sessions were part of the delivery spec.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc ➑️
So one question...

Do all 36 inputs appear in Audio MIDI Setup?
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes I believe so...it's been a while since I checked.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons ➑️
I finished a series for MTV a few weeks ago and the Protools sessions were part of the delivery spec.
Was the version of PT and the allowed plug-ins part of the delivery as well?

I've been mixing for MTV on a Fairlight for about a decade now. When they started asking for PT sessions I simply started putting my mix and splits into one and delivered that. Never heard anything back except "thanks" and "sounds great".
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➑️

I've been mixing for MTV on a Fairlight for about a decade now. When they started asking for PT sessions I simply started putting my mix and splits into one and delivered that. Never heard anything back except "thanks" and "sounds great".
They wanted both. The full session and a session with mix and splits only.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➑️

+1.

philp
πŸ“ Reply