003R Outs, NanoPatch & A7s - Correct Signal Flow - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
003R Outs, NanoPatch & A7s - Correct Signal Flow
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
003R Outs, NanoPatch & A7s - Correct Signal Flow

Hi all,

I have a small studio where I mostly do audio post for film & tv, running a stereo setup through the 003R, an SM Nano Patch monitor controller and a pair of Adam A7s.

The monitors are calibrated to an appropriate SPL (76 for the size of my room is ok), but I am not sure I am doing the correct connections from an electronics point-of-view.

I have the Main Outs from the 003R going to the Ins of the monitor controller. In order to calibrate I need to adjust both the Input Gain at the monitors as well as the Main Out level at the 003R (leaving the Nano Patch at 0dB).

Now, the Main Out from the Digi 003R mirrors analogue Out 1-2. However there is a knob controlling the signal (an attenuator?). Since I have the Nano Patch I guess I could bypass the Main Outs and just go out directly from 1-2 on the 003R to the Ins of the controller, bypassing what I think (correctly?) is a further unnecessary stage.

I have been advised by Adam to keep the A7ยดs at nominal level (0dB) but I am still not sure whether I am better off going out the Main Out or the Anal 1-2 at the 003R.

Any enlightening greatly appreciated...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I go from the analog outs on my 003+.

Since I also have a separate monitor controller I don't feel I want the extra summing circuit of the 003's internal monitor section.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I didn't know what the Nano Patch was, but I just looked it up. With that as a monitor controller, you DEFINITELY want to bypass the 003's volume knob. Go out the 1-2 ouput, not the Main Out. You'll get a full strength +4 signal. While the 003's A/D/A won't win any awards for quality, it will be okay.

Sometime when you get a chance, listen to the output of a 192, Metric Halo, or Apogee D/A. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the better transients, more solid stereo stage, and more consistent bass.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey guys,

Thanks for your input.

I will definitely have to bypass the Main Outs now: just a couple of days after the initial post I sold the A7`s to upgrade to an LCR setup (still undecided between KH120 or Focal CMS65, but that is another topic...).

Still, I imagine with the new monitors being at nominal level and coming out of the Analog Outs in the 003R, I will need to attenuate somewhere because otherwise I will get much more than the desired calibration level of 76. And I guess the ideal place is the speakers and not the monitor controller, so that I can have a 0db reading at the controller corresponding to the calibration reference.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Take a look at the JBL 4300 series. They have volume built-in with a remote control. Very handy for the in-the-box studio.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Take a look at the JBL 4300 series. They have volume built-in with a remote control. Very handy for the in-the-box studio.
Sorry for going off-topic:
I have listened to them, and many others, in fact the only ones I still have not listened are the Focal. But from the BM6Mkii, Gen 8030, JBL4326, A7X, to Eve Audio, I have not heard anything as impressive as the Neumann. And I can say it with a relative confidence of having heard all of them with the same audiovisual samples in similar acoustic spaces.
๐Ÿ“ Reply